• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get 3B set before giving away top prospects for Mancini

Also my thought, but also short of Aredando, not much available out there at 3B

Mancini at least bats from the right and helps balance the offense in the COF and 1B

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also my thought, but also short of Aredando, not much available out there at 3B

Mancini at least bats from the right and helps balance the offense in the COF and 1B
But that stills leaves the infield defense at the bottom of the league which hurts any improvement we've made in the starting pitching

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that stills leaves the infield defense at the bottom of the league which hurts any improvement we've made in the starting pitching
Makes little sense to me to spend tons of money on 3B until we get 1B and 2B improved. SS is sub -par also. JD has let too much get away to try and fix the team all at once. I am not in favor of spending millions and prospects on 3B. We all know Odor has a hold on improving this team as does Guzman. Tap the brakes and do what is right before breaking the bank and not correcting the real problems. I do not have all the answers but they're out there to be had but not all at once. C'mon JD. Get with it!!!!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes little sense to me to spend tons of money on 3B until we get 1B and 2B improved. SS is sub -par also. JD has let too much get away to try and fix the team all at once. I am not in favor of spending millions and prospects on 3B. We all know Odor has a hold on improving this team as does Guzman. Tap the brakes and do what is right before breaking the bank and not correcting the real problems. I do not have all the answers but they're out there to be had but not all at once. C'mon JD. Get with it!!!!
you have to start somewhere in fixing this infield and it is going to cost the team which ever way it goes. so why not Mancini and Arenado? Andrus is solid at SS so that leaves Odor as the major roadblock

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, JD blew it by not landing Rendon. Let's don't try to correct that mistake with a second mistake.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, JD blew it by not landing Rendon. Let's don't try to correct that mistake with a second mistake.
so what do we do? continue with one of the worst infield defenses in baseball for another 2 or 3 years or start making improvements now

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have to start somewhere in fixing this infield and it is going to cost the team which ever way it goes. so why not Mancini and Arenado? Andrus is solid at SS so that leaves Odor as the major roadblock

If they could pull off Mancini and Arrenado that would be awesome.

We do have a surplus of starting pitching prospects that are on the 40 man.
Guys like Burke, Palumbo, Hernandez, Allard, Mendez, Hearn and Jurado.
We also have a full 5 man staff and a full bullpen without any of those guys thanks to Jon Daniels and co. I know there will be injuries but I think we could get away with trading 3 of those 7 guys and still have plenty of depth down at AAA.

There will not be a huge need for a ton prospects if the roster is full of major contributors for a decent amount of time.
If we have guys like Gallo, Calhoun, Arrenado, Mancini, Andrus, Solak, and Heineman for 3+ years that gives the Farm plenty of time to rebuild through small trades, Draft, and Internationals.

MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch

when looking at the 30 top prospects list I’m sure there’s a way we could include 6-8 of these guys in a trade for both Arrenado and Mancini and not feel to bad about it.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically speaking..

If the Rangers did trade Taveras, Crouse, Burke, and Anderson Tejada for Arrenado and a negotiation window to void the opt out.
Then traded Steele Walker, Palumbo, and Julio Pablo Martinez for Mancini.

The team would be rocking at the MLB level for quite awhile and with all those guys having team control for awhile the farm would have time to replenish.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what do we do? continue with one of the worst infield defenses in baseball for another 2 or 3 years or start making improvements now
That ship probably sailed when we lowballed our offer for Rendon. That is the bad thing about mistakes, you are forced to live with them.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That ship probably sailed when we lowballed our offer for Rendon. That is the bad thing about mistakes, you are forced to live with them.

True that..
Wish the Rangers would have just signed Rendon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically speaking..

If the Rangers did trade Taveras, Crouse, Burke, and Anderson Tejada for Arrenado and a negotiation window to void the opt out.
Then traded Steele Walker, Palumbo, and Julio Pablo Martinez for Mancini.

The team would be rocking at the MLB level for quite awhile and with all those guys having team control for awhile the farm would have time to replenish.
It would require a lot more than that for Mancini.

There will be a huge need for pitching prospects between one and two years from now. In 21 months, Kyle Gibson will be the only starting pitcher left that is under contract. This pitching staff is short term on purpose. They are counting on guys like Crouse, Winn, Henriquez, Vanasco and Palumbo to step into those roles within the next couple of years.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would require a lot more than that for Mancini.

There will be a huge need for pitching prospects between one and two years from now. In 21 months, Kyle Gibson will be the only starting pitcher left that is under contract. This pitching staff is short term on purpose. They are counting on guys like Crouse, Winn, Henriquez, Vanasco and Palumbo to step into those roles within the next couple of years.

That’s true. And with those pitchers leaving that opens up about $40-50 million to sign another SP free agent or 3.
The team would still have options like Allard, Mendez, Winn, Henriquez, Vanasco, Tyler Phillips, Yerry Rodriguez, Ryan Garcia,
Taylor Hearn, Owen White, Jurado, Kyle Cody, AJ Alexy, Joe Barlow, Cole Ragans, Reid Anderson, Mason Englert, Alex Speas, Jake Latz, etc etc..
In 2022 the Rotation could be
1. one of these free agents at the end of the year. —Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta (club option), Marcus Stroman, Jose Quintana Mike Minor

2. one of these free agents after 2021 season Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Zack Greinke, Chris Archer, Mike Foltynewicz, Lance Lynn, Jordan Lyles

3.Kyle Gibson

4. one of the many mentioned pitchers above.
5. one of the many pitchers mentioned above

So much happens over the course of 2 years. There will be options for pitchers.

Prospects are also currency

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the condition we are in with no qualified 3B prospects ready, is a lesson to our front office about their past drafting philosophy. Until this past draft we have just about ignored the corner positions in the draft for quite some time.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re 3B and 1B. I do like Mancini and do not mind moving a CF but not big on moving some of the prospects mentioned. Without a guy like Aredondo it pushes window back so we need to hold on to lower level pitching then. For now we can land some versatile RHB like Castellanos and move the needle more.
Have not heard much recently on Mancini so likely a non issue

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s true. And with those pitchers leaving that opens up about $40-50 million to sign another SP free agent or 3.
The team would still have options like Allard, Mendez, Winn, Henriquez, Vanasco, Tyler Phillips, Yerry Rodriguez, Ryan Garcia,
Taylor Hearn, Owen White, Jurado, Kyle Cody, AJ Alexy, Joe Barlow, Cole Ragans, Reid Anderson, Mason Englert, Alex Speas, Jake Latz, etc etc..
In 2022 the Rotation could be
1. one of these free agents at the end of the year. —Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta (club option), Marcus Stroman, Jose Quintana Mike Minor

2. one of these free agents after 2021 season Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Zack Greinke, Chris Archer, Mike Foltynewicz, Lance Lynn, Jordan Lyles

3.Kyle Gibson

4. one of the many mentioned pitchers above.
5. one of the many pitchers mentioned above

So much happens over the course of 2 years. There will be options for pitchers.

Prospects are also currency
After this Rendon fiasco, I don't think it would be wise to expect us to be able to sign a top pitching free agent. With the number of years and the money they require that might not ne a bad thing. Unlike position players there is a high level of injury risk involved in signing top free agent starting pitchers.

As JD said when we lost out in signing Cliff Lee, we would be wise to grow our own ace.

My philosophy is keep your top prospects, and if you need to deal some, you deal from the second and third tier. There are times to make exceptions though.

They could sign replacements for those guys at slightly higher AAVs, but they could have signed some guys to longer contracts before and chose not to. I think they chose not to because of who is coming up through the farm. I think they see Minor, Kluber, Lyles, Gibson and Lynn as good gap fillers. They are placeholders.

We may sign a very good starting pitcher to a long term deal within a year or two, but I wouldn't depend on doing so.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the condition we are in with no qualified 3B prospects ready, is a lesson to our front office about their past drafting philosophy. Until this past draft we have just about ignored the corner positions in the draft for quite some time.
Seems like that lesson was learned recently about not going after high ceiling risky HD starters but yes.
Need to draft more solid less risky players for now

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.
I’m glad they picked up Jung and Wendzel this year. Blaine Crim is a guy that isn’t getting talked about a lot but he crushed the ball at Mississippi College and so put pretty good numbers in the NW league after the draft. He was drafted in the 19th round but I bet he goes out and makes a name for himself

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this Rendon fiasco, I don't think it would be wise to expect us to be able to sign a top pitching free agent. With the number of years and the money they require that might not ne a bad thing. Unlike position players there is a high level of injury risk involved in signing top free agent starting pitchers.

As JD said when we lost out in signing Cliff Lee, we would be wise to grow our own ace.

My philosophy is keep your top prospects, and if you need to deal some, you deal from the second and third tier.

They could sign replacements for those guys at slightly higher AAVs, but they could have signed some guys to longer contracts before and chose not to. I think they chose not to because of who is coming up through the farm. I think they see Minor, Kluber, Lyles, Gibson and Lynn as good gap fillers. They are placeholders.

We may sign a very good starting pitcher to a long term deal within a year or two, but I wouldn't depend on doing so.
I agree but hopefully the pitchers mentioned are not totally placeholders

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but hopefully the pitchers mentioned are not totally placeholders
I didn't mean that in a bad way. There are different degrees of placeholders. We certainly improved in that area this offseason.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My philosophy is keep your top prospects, and if you need to deal some, you deal from the second and third tier. There are times to make exceptions though.

I think the pitching depth over the next few years should be good.
The Rangers drafted 60 pitchers the last 2 years. Out of 80 picks. That’s kind of ridiculous huh?
I looked at some other teams drafts and it seems to be abnormally high.. I didn’t notice any other teams drafting pitchers with 75% of their picks.