• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas A&M threatens to sue double amputee, cancer survivor

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU sued my high school because we had the same exact logo and were also the Seminoles a couple years ago.

Schools have to do this otherwise they lose their trade mark, and it becomes public domain. I think a lot of colleges get around it by "licensing" your high school to use their trademark for nominal fee.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools have to do this otherwise they lose their trade mark, and it becomes public domain. I think a lot of colleges get around it by "licensing" your high school to use their trademark for nominal fee.

Yep. My high school had the Wisconsin w as a logo and they tried to get us to pay royalties...we just changed the logo a bit instead.

Omaha%20Westside-1.gif

JonesboroWestside.png

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Difference is Hook'em Horns is a tradition started at Texas. Not like Texas trademarked something other schools used for years prior to the filing.
Almost every school (major ones) have stuff trademarked...it is no big deal.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost every school (major ones) have stuff trademarked...it is no big deal.

never said it was, just pointing out most schools trademark things that originated at the school.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never said it was, just pointing out most schools trademark things that originated at the school.
So the Longhorn steer and the Burnt Orange color were started at Texas?

FYI..the color and the Longhorn silhouette are both trademarked by Texas.

Not trying to pick a fight or trolling....just pointing out that most schools probably have things that were done before elsewhere, but are universally know now to be associated with that school.

Again, no big deal

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATM has to do what they have to do to protect their brand. When I think of the 12th man in CFB I think of TAMU and their stadium. Just because you're a double amputee doesn't mean you have the right to profit off of something others built...

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATM has to do what they have to do to protect their brand. When I think of the 12th man in CFB I think of TAMU and their stadium. Just because you're a double amputee doesn't mean you have the right to profit off of something others built...

That's part of the point. While I don't know the inner details of this website completely, from what I have seen there was no personal profit here. It was a community based fan website aimed only at getting people to support keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

No 12th man gear being sold. No profit.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Longhorn steer and the Burnt Orange color were started at Texas?

FYI..the color and the Longhorn silhouette are both trademarked by Texas.

Not trying to pick a fight or trolling....just pointing out that most schools probably have things that were done before elsewhere, but are universally know now to be associated with that school.

Again, no big deal

I get it, but there are differences. UT is insane about it. They try to get every penny they can out of the brand. It can be quite annoying. A&M is going after non-profits and fans for the use of a term. What's the benefit? It is like OU trademarking the word Sooner. Sooner or later.... Or sh1t, I can not say that word. OU owns it.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, but there are differences. UT is insane about it. They try to get every penny they can out of the brand. It can be quite annoying. A&M is going after non-profits and fans for the use of a term. What's the benefit? It is like OU trademarking the word Sooner. Sooner or later.... Or sh1t, I can not say that word. OU owns it.
I understand...and the difference is a good point.

But the point also is that one has to go after those using a trademark name either for profit of publicity. I would think that TAMU would not particularly want to be associated with a group trying to get a football team to stay in Buffalo. Reputation is just as important.

Just my point.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand...and the difference is a good point.

But the point also is that one has to go after those using a trademark name either for profit of publicity. I would think that TAMU would not particularly want to be associated with a group trying to get a football team to stay in Buffalo. Reputation is just as important.

Just my point.

Why do they hate Buffalo so much?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, I hope it goes to court. Maybe one day some ballsy judge will tell everyone who seeks to trademark such old sayings to pound sand, but I ain't holding my breath. What it proves to me is that money matters more than common sense, decency, or sport.

But notice how fast the school fans jump to its defense? That says something about all of us, doesn't i?

Wait till somebody trademarks "blue turf", then shit will really hit the fan. :whistle:

Boise State denies Blue Turf for North Carolina high school | NationalHSFootball.com

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they hate Buffalo so much?

Not hate so much.

I don't think Texas would be too excited to look on TV (wherever they are) and see a protest group flashing the hook'em sign or the longhorn pic and holding up "Keep Anchorage Ice Pilots in Anchorage".

Might not bother you, but I would be the powers that be wouldn't be too happy

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine why someone would want to copy that gimmicky shit anyway. :noidea:

Apparently, nobody is allowed to have any colored field without the permission of Boise St.

Boise State owns a trademark for any non-green colored field but can, at its discretion, allow programs to install any color it requests. It has granted permission to schools in multiple states to use a blue field but declined Brevard, in large part, because it shares the field with Division II program, Brevard College.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I going home and installing blue artificial turf in my yard as big FU to Boise.....JK I couldn't live with that.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's plagiarism. Plain and simple.

"It's a shame that people can actually buy and own words"

This person does not understand how the world works.