• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Terrell Thomas

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not starter material any more by many accounts. Veteran presense will help especially if Houston wont be around.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Thomas is an indictment of Mayhew's ability to spot talent at the CB position. Lawson, Greenwood, Green, and Bentley were all his guys and yet the Lions had to sign Mathias and look for more depth at CB! Just mind boggling how Mayhew rates his draft picks.

I hate banging on him but the man was a DB! You think he would have some insight!

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:clap: If Houston is out for the year

:noidea: If they expect Houston back

:L If it pushes either Greenwood or Green off the roster

:gaah: If he is signed for anything more than a minimum contract

:laugh3: If anyone expects any real value out of him

:yahoo: Millenhew is a complete idiot

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams are waiting until after June 1st to sign players like Terrell Thomas due to the compensatory pick rule. After june 1st, the signings don't effect it. I wouldn't mind thomas, not like we're paying him 9 mil a year, he could come in and be last years rashean mathis on a minimum deal

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, training camp is just around the bend and we've released Chris Houston- so, in theory, we have an opening at the position. We've had Thomas in for two visits so far this offseason, which I immagine means we're keeping tabs on his twice-repaired knees. I wonder if all that interest translates into an invite to training camp?

It looks like Cassius Vaughn is making a real push for a roster spot, and Thomas was simply a much better CB last season. If we can upgrade on our 4th or 5th CB that easily, why wouldn't we? I wouldn't hesitate to add him provided that he's healthy, but maybe that's the catch- they don't trust his knees? He played better last season than all of our CBs except Mathis, and he's under 30. Can't hurt, imo, as long as the contract protects us in the event of another knee injury...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could use another veteran just in case. Even if he has to be a backup.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'zactly Old Lion.

I'm not suggesting he would be our savior and start opposite Slay, but I think he's better than any of the CBs on our roster right now except Mathis. Slay obviously has the potential to be much better than him, and I think he will, but right now, he'd instantly be the 2nd best CB on our roster.

If they want to give Slay a starting spot opposite Mathis, which they should, imo, and if Bentley locks into the nickel role, then Thomas could be a good fit as a #4 CB who can play in the slot in the dime, or on the outside if needed. Maybe Lawson steps right in as an effective dime back and Thomas is our #5 guy? All the better, imo.

Given what he showed before his injury I'd swap him for Green, Greenwood, or Vaughn in a hot second if he's good in the health department. He played a full season last year for the Giants and was pretty decent in the slot for them. Worse case scenario is moving him to safety, where his run support would be more than adequate in a free safety role.

He's available, and we could use the help. Makes too much sense, which makes me wonder if, even though he logged a full season last year, maybe his knees aren't holding up well?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still on the stance of seeing what the kids on the roster can do? TT comes in and is better and starts then Greenwood and Bentley should of never been here.

Guys with AARP cards playing and stop gaps brought in year after year is growing old.

Draft kids who either can or will develope!!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still on the stance of seeing what the kids on the roster can do? TT comes in and is better and starts then Greenwood and Bentley should of never been here.
Not necessarily- Greenwood was a late pick, Thomas was a high-level starter before he got hurt. Thomas has the far better pedigree, it's just a matter of where his body is at.

Bentley is a nickel back, so Thomas starting on the outside wouldn't really impact him. However, Thomas played in the slot last year for the Giants, so he could conceivably unseat Bentley in that role, which wouldn't be a good sign...

Guys with AARP cards playing and stop gaps brought in year after year is growing old.
I think Thomas is only 29, and will be this whole season. If he's healthy he's nowhere near over the hill.

I still don't think we should be looking at him as a starter, though, but as an upgrade over Cassius Vaughn. That way Green and Greenwood and Hester are still in the mix for the 6th spot, and we won't have to count on Vaughn to play any snaps for us, because he's been terrible through his career so far...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathis is the AARP I was tallinbough...

Be really nice to see 3 CB's on the field they drafted. Usually the nickel guy slides in when a injury happens. Like I said in my opinion. Lets see what these kids on the roster can do?? Keep em or cut em and move forward with em or without em.

TP I am a glass half full guy most of time. On the DB issues my glass is empty compraed to yours. Very seriously doubt I will see that part of the team pissing blue any time soon.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not in that bad of shape back there moving forward with all the young guys we have, imo, it's the now I'm worried about.

I just think Thomas is a better CB heading into camp than Vaughn. Sign him, cut Vaughn, and keep the young guys through camp to see what they can do. Maybe Green and Greenwood validate their draft position and claim those last two spots regardless? If they don't I like Thomas far better than Vaughn, and that's who we're looking at as our #4 or #5 as things stand right now.

Imo we'll keep 6 CBs, 4 of whom are pretty well locks- Slay, Mathis, Bentley, and Lawson. So right now we have Vaughn, Green, Greenwood, and Aaron Hester competing for those last two (maybe even just one) spots. I just think it's a smart move to swap out Vaughn for Thomas, if for nothing else then to simply hedge our bets at the position. I'd love it if Green and Greenwood claim those spots in camp, but I also don't want to hand them those spots if they're not the best player, simply because we invested a draft pick on them.

I get where you're coming from though, we all want to see the guys we drafted develop and succeed. What I'm say, though, is that, right now, we have Cassius Vaughn poised to claim a roster spot (based on the groupings so far, maybe that changes over training camp). He sucks and we have no draft capital invested in him, he was brought in as a cheap free agent this year. I'm saying we cut him, sign Thomas, and proceed status-quo with the planned camp competition at the position. The young guys would be in no different position then they are in now, but we'd have a better option if they simply don't pan out...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing about Greenwood is that I'm pretty sure he still has a year of practice squad eligibility left, which is ideal for a raw kid like him who suddenly is changing defensive systems...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this guy good at not keeping his eye on the ball as it sails over his head for TDs? If so he'll fit right in.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping his eye on the ball? Did I wander into the tigers forum?

I've been checking out Amurican sports for awhile. One of the first things I noticed, was that there is a pretty big emphasis placed on the ball in all of them.

Shouldn't someone point this out to Mayhew?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They lose it in the lights. Or dome.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a story about a catcher in the majors dropping a foul pop in a night game. The manager asked him about it, and he said the moon got in his eyes. Can't remember who. I'm pretty sure Casey Stengel was the manager.

Last edited by a moderator: