• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teddy Bridgewater

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, the Chargers fared pretty well with P-Riv. Can't be too mad about all that.

Not mad at all. I'm glad we got Rivers. I just wish we could build a better supporting cast so he can get a ring.

If I was coming out of college though I would feel honored to be picked #1 overall by any team. If they pick you that high they obviously see you as their franchise player and you haven't even played a snap yet. For little Eli and his failure dad to come out and tell the Chargers not to pick him gave Eli and his entire family a black eye. Archie's reasoning was that he got stuck on a poor franchise his entire career, basically blaming the franchise for his failures and not holding himself accountable. Drew Brees recently showed him that great players can turn losing franchises around and win titles.

Fuck these self entitled, ignorant pieces of shit. If things don't go well you can always play out your rookie deal then sign with the team of your choosing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers did the right thing by drafting Eli. They parlayed Eli into Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding.

If they didn't draft Eli... they might have ended up with only Rivers

Yes, agreed...my point was not clear...they drafted him with the intention of trading him...not to somehow convince him to be a Charger.

Since this is mostly a QB issue, at least historically, there will be other suitors if the skills are top shelf...Bridgewater might be viewed on that level but I don't think Manziel or Boyd are.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not mad at all. I'm glad we got Rivers. I just wish we could build a better supporting cast so he can get a ring.

If I was coming out of college though I would feel honored to be picked #1 overall by any team. If they pick you that high they obviously see you as their franchise player and you haven't even played a snap yet. For little Eli and his failure dad to come out and tell the Chargers not to pick him gave Eli and his entire family a black eye. Archie's reasoning was that he got stuck on a poor franchise his entire career, basically blaming the franchise for his failures and not holding himself accountable. Drew Brees recently showed him that great players can turn losing franchises around and win titles.

Fuck these self entitled, ignorant pieces of shit. If things don't go well you can always play out your rookie deal then sign with the team of your choosing.

In SD...no one else really cares.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy Bridgewater vs. Brian Brohm

Back in 2008, Brian Brohm came out of Louisville with a 1st round grade. He was touted as being smart, but lacks great athletic skills.

Sports Illustrated rated him as the 2nd best quarterback in the draft. Matt Ryan was #1, Joe Flacco was #3 and Chad Henne was #4.

Here's a clip of ESPN talking about Brohm getting drafted by the Packers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s

What happened to him? He completely busted. When he got to training camp, he lost his backup job to Matt Flynn, who was drafted in the 7th round that year, and ended up being cut and sent to the practice squad. He then signed with the Buffalo Bills, and tanked even more.

Now lets flash-forward to today. Bridgewater is seen as one of the top 4 quarterbacks in this draft. He started for Louisville for three seasons, and helped his team win a BCS Bowl, just like Brohm. Bridgewater is not getting his praise for his arm strength and deep ball accuracy, but for his intelligence.

What makes Bridgewater different than Brohm?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk the answer to your question, but I think Bridgewater will be a decent prospect on a team that can afford to let him ease into action...(fwiw, none of the prospect this yr are ready to start next season imo) he's not the personality of Manziel, he's not going to sell any tickets, but I like his potential a little better.

A team like CLE with Hoyer in the fold would be wise to take one of these guys...but imo the team that takes JM will feel pressure to put him on the field early and I think that is disaster waiting to happen. Brohm...not sure what happen there, but I don't think he ever got a real shot to start and backups with a little experience in the system will always get the nod over someone w/o any.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team like CLE with Hoyer in the fold would be wise to take one of these guys...but imo the team that takes JM will feel pressure to put him on the field early and I think that is disaster waiting to happen. Brohm...not sure what happen there, but I don't think he ever got a real shot to start and backups with a little experience in the system will always get the nod over someone w/o any.

You're correct about his time in Green Bay. Rodgers knew the system very well and was obviously the better option for them. But does this mean, you should hold your head low and not show any type of leadership, work ethic, and accuracy? The Packers didn't even think he was good enough to remain on their roster. You do realize Brohm was penciled in as Rodgers' backup, and as an insurance policy, if Rodgers failed?

Brohm did get a real shot to start, when he went to Buffalo. They had an open, three-man competition, where Brohm got the opportunity to compete with Edwards and Fitzpatrick. Even in Buffalo, the man looked horrible beyond belief. Believe me, I saw it first hand.

I would hate to see any team get a Brohm like prospect.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're correct about his time in Green Bay. Rodgers knew the system very well and was obviously the better option for them. But does this mean, you should hold your head low and not show any type of leadership, work ethic, and accuracy? The Packers didn't even think he was good enough to remain on their roster. You do realize Brohm was penciled in as Rodgers' backup, and as an insurance policy, if Rodgers failed?

Brohm did get a real shot to start, when he went to Buffalo. They had an open, three-man competition, where Brohm got the opportunity to compete with Edwards and Fitzpatrick. Even in Buffalo, the man looked horrible beyond belief. Believe me, I saw it first hand.

Oh...didn't realize that...you know his pro history better than me.

The reality is the vast majority of CFB QBs are not going to be great NFL players, or even starters...how this equates to Bridgewater goes back to my point earlier...imo teams need to let these young guys develop behind a vet, even if the vet is not that great...they're still going to screw up when they get the reins...for all of the acclaim Luck is getting , his 2nd yr was not that great and he's considered a once a decade prospect.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...didn't realize that...you know his pro history better than me.

The reality is the vast majority of CFB QBs are not going to be great NFL players, or even starters...how this equates to Bridgewater goes back to my point earlier...imo teams need to let these young guys develop behind a vet, even if the vet is not that great...they're still going to screw up when they get the reins...for all of the acclaim Luck is getting , his 2nd yr was not that great and he's considered a once a decade prospect.

Luck's stats have not been elite, but at the end of the day, he wins. Pure and simple. When the team needs a touchdown to win, he's there. For a guy whose only been in the league for two seasons, this is mighty impressive. I expect Luck to get better and better.

Yes, most CFB quarterbacks don't make it in the NFL. That's true, but Brohm was hyped up by the media and NFL teams as a 1st to 2nd round talent. He ended up playing like Jimmy Clausen, Ryan Leaf, and Blaine Gabbert. In fact, he played so badly, no team wanted him as their 2nd string.

I have a sneaky feeling that Bridgewater is going to be the 4th quarterback taken in this draft.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I seem to recall that Brohm maybe wasn't a great fit in Mike McCarthy's offense, I only vaguely remember some of his meaningless preseason drives but I don't think he was ever right for this scheme. Bridgewater will have the benefit of having a scheme built around him. I don't know if Mike McCarthy is responsible, but Brohm just lost all confidence, Bridgewater will be given every chance to succeed as the guy for some franchise

I can't guarantee Bridgewater will be successful, but Bridgewater had a different head coach than Brohm and maybe that will help Teddy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck's stats have not been elite, but at the end of the day, he wins. Pure and simple. When the team needs a touchdown to win, he's there. For a guy whose only been in the league for two seasons, this is mighty impressive. I expect Luck to get better and better.

Yes, most CFB quarterbacks don't make it in the NFL. That's true, but Brohm was hyped up by the media and NFL teams as a 1st to 2nd round talent. He ended up playing like Jimmy Clausen, Ryan Leaf, and Blaine Gabbert. In fact, he played so badly, no team wanted him as their 2nd string.

I have a sneaky feeling that Bridgewater is going to be the 4th quarterback taken in this draft.

I love Luck's game...not being critical of him at all...considering he's been the man in Indy from day one and got them to the playoffs (HOU's collapse helped) you couldn't ask any more of him imo...the point is the games (NFL vs CFB) are so different that a once in a decade prospect still needs time to pull it together.

I get it...both Louisville QBs, but I don't think Brohm's career will have any bearing Bridgewater's draft stock just as I don't think Carr's older brother career will have on his.

JMO, but no way would I leave Bridgewater on the board in favor of Manziel...at worst 3rd off the board, but you could be right, Carr's stock seems to be on the up tick and CLE or OAK I think are desperate enough to take a chance on JM...we shall see.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brohms last year: 473 attempts, 65% completion, 30 TDs, 12 Ints, 8.5 Yards per attempt
Bridgewaters last year: 427 attempts, 71% completion, 31 TDs, 4 Ints, 9.3 Yards per attempt

I guess you could compare them but one clearly had a better year before entering the NFL

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to recall that Brohm maybe wasn't a great fit in Mike McCarthy's offense, I only vaguely remember some of his meaningless preseason drives but I don't think he was ever right for this scheme. Bridgewater will have the benefit of having a scheme built around him. I don't know if Mike McCarthy is responsible, but Brohm just lost all confidence, Bridgewater will be given every chance to succeed as the guy for some franchise

I can't guarantee Bridgewater will be successful, but Bridgewater had a different head coach than Brohm and maybe that will help Teddy.

Did you know that Brohm has never scored a touchdown in the NFL, and this includes preseason? It wasn't that he didn't fit the scheme, it is just that he wasn't good at all. Why didn't he show any improvement with the Bills?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brohms last year: 473 attempts, 65% completion, 30 TDs, 12 Ints, 8.5 Yards per attempt
Bridgewaters last year: 427 attempts, 71% completion, 31 TDs, 4 Ints, 9.3 Yards per attempt

I guess you could compare them but one clearly had a better year before entering the NFL

Clausen only threw 2 picks in his final season at Notre Dame. That's right. Lets not get too stat crazy here. Connor Shaw only threw one.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clausen only threw 2 picks in his final season at Notre Dame. That's right. Lets not get too stat crazy here. Connor Shaw only threw one.
Well, there are only so many ways as a fan we can measure QBs. I'm just pointing out that since you are saying this guy is the same as the other from the same system, Im showing what each QB did in that same system. If he falls to the 2nd round then most teams will agree with your analysis.

Lets not get comparison crazy here, either. Conner Shaw? Ive seen him tear up Mizzou twice but it was with a wicked screen pass game. He isnt an NFL prospect

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy Bridgewater, Sinking Underwater

Bridgewater has really sunk hard and fast underwater since the CFB season ended. Remember when he was the consensus #1 or #2 pick (other candidate was Clowney) and consensus #1 QB?

Now, well (thanks WNY Football Dude for this compilation; boldface emphases are mine):

Here are the top 5 quarterback prospects according to the media big boards:

CBS Sports: Blake Bortles (6th best player, 1st round), Johnny Manziel (7th best player, 1st round), Teddy Bridgewater (15th, 1st round), Derek Carr (26th, 1st and 2nd round), and Tom Savage (31st, 1st and 2nd round)

ESPN: Bortles (11th, 1st round), Bridgewater (18th, 1st round), Manziel (19th, 1st round), Savage (58th, 2nd to 3rd round), and Jimmy Garoppolo (64th, 2nd and 3rd round).

Fox Sports: Bortles (7th, 1st round), Manziel (8th, 1st round), Bridgewater (10th, 1st round), Carr (24th, 1st and 2nd round), and Garoppolo (33rd, 1st and 2nd round)

NFL Network: Bortles (17th, 1st round), Bridgewater (20th, 1st round), Carr (22nd, 1st and 2nd round), Manziel (26th, 1st and 2nd round), and Garoppolo (41st, 2nd round)

Besides the above, more mock drafts for Bridgewater:

Sports Illustrated: 8th pick, 2nd QB

The Big Lead: 2nd round or lower, 3rd QB or lower

Walter Football: 2nd round, 33rd pick, 4th QB

This picture says it all:

Attachments

• Teddy Bridgewater - Sinking Underwater.jpg
    Teddy Bridgewater - Sinking Underwater.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe a number of things happened:

(1) Bridgewater hasn't looked very sharp during the NFL draft process. He lost weight rather than gaining weight. He didn't look good during his pro-day, which is suppose to be 100% scripted and an easy A.

(2) NFL teams are starting to question his arm strength and his body frame. This is important to them, because of the physical beating of the NFL, and the fact that he has to fit balls into tight windows.

(3) Blake Bortles. The more teams look at Bortles, the more they like him. He did every workout at the combine and has interviewed extremely well for NFL teams.

(4) Derek Carr. He came off of a terrible bowl game against USC, but since then, has rose up the boards due to his senior bowl performance and private workout with teams.

I think Bridgewater is probably going to be the 4th quarterback off the board, and could very well land in the 2nd round.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
burger-king-tiny-hands.jpg

TB says he can't even eat a BK Whopper.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just more media coverage this year. Or is this years draft STACKED? I see about 10-15 guys that could of went top 3 last year

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe a number of things happened:

(1) Bridgewater hasn't looked very sharp during the NFL draft process. He lost weight rather than gaining weight. He didn't look good during his pro-day, which is suppose to be 100% scripted and an easy A.

(2) NFL teams are starting to question his arm strength and his body frame. This is important to them, because of the physical beating of the NFL, and the fact that he has to fit balls into tight windows.

(3) Blake Bortles. The more teams look at Bortles, the more they like him. He did every workout at the combine and has interviewed extremely well for NFL teams.

(4) Derek Carr. He came off of a terrible bowl game against USC, but since then, has rose up the boards due to his senior bowl performance and private workout with teams.

I think Bridgewater is probably going to be the 4th quarterback off the board, and could very well land in the 2nd round.

I think teams knew his build, etc. Not looking good at his pro day was a factor, but I think this is more media driven than anything...who said he was the #1 QB, not GMs. (just was a bigger school, bigger name) he still has a 1st round grade with Scouts.

I will say he'd be a lot more attractive in the 2nd round than in the 1st, but I feel the same way about Manziel. Saying he's falling is not really that big of a slap imo...none of this crop needs to be under center next season.