• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Team Successes/Failures In Finding Franchise QB's

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For instance Carolina i have to give them credit even though they drafted two QB's Clausen and Pike the year before in 2010 they went ahead and drafted Cam Newton in 2011 and it was the right decision. Most any other team that just drafted two QB's would be asking fans for patience to give each QB more time but Carolina were aggressive and constantly drafting until they found the right one.Green Bay has had two QB in last quarter century and Aaron Rodgers since 2008 he was first rounder
They also drafted Armanti Edwards out of App St, though he was pretty much penciled in for WR. And Cam was a good pick, but overall those 2010 and '11 drafts were atrocious. With Hardy gone, I think Cam is the last one standing: National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team Just a sample of the bad decisions made by Marty Hurney.
New England has had Brady since 2000 he was sixth rounder
Maybe the greatest draft pick of all time.
Green Bay has had two QB in last quarter century and Aaron Rodgers since 2008 he was first rounder
AR-12's success is a testament to the Packers organization, and the old-fashioned way - actually developing a QB, instead of throwing him into the fire for a 1-15 team.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best QB's in Seattle history are Russell Wilson,Matt Hasselbeck,Dave Krieg.

Zorn was a huge part of the early years and Moon only played two seasons.

They weren't my favorite team but i always liked the Seahawks going back to first watching football as a kid during the Krieg,Curt Warner,Kenny Easley years.

If you were a fan during that awful 90's decade it made the success they finally got recently feel really good after dealing with all the ups and downs.

Good drafting especially defense,getting Wilson and bringing in Lynch were the three big things that set in motion the team eventually starting to get good beginning in 2012 up until now.

Sat through it all ... 90's were painful with Ken Behring at the helm... Dude destroyed the Seahawks and then tried to move um out of town... Thankfully Paul Allen stepped in ...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different ideas work for different teams in their search for a franchise QB.......

Looking at every team and how they've fared and if they have found a franchise QB or still looking.

For instance Carolina i have to give them credit even though they drafted two QB's Clausen and Pike the year before in 2010 they went ahead and drafted Cam Newton in 2011 and it was the right decision. Most any other team that just drafted two QB's would be asking fans for patience to give each QB more time but Carolina were aggressive and constantly drafting until they found the right one.

Philadelphia drafted a QB In 2010,2012 and 2014 every other year which is a pretty good strategy and Foles drafted in 2012 was the best one of the bunch. Foles was a third round round pick. They recently flipped him for Sam Bradford.

Seattle brought in Charlie Whitehurst from San Diego but that didn't work. They then brought in Tarvaris Jackson from Minnesota which also did not work. Then a third QB was brought in Matt Flynn which didn't work but that same offseason they drafted Russell Wilson in the third round and went with Wilson who was more talented.

In 2011 Cincinnati drafted Andy Dalton in second round and San Francisco drafted Colin Kaepernick in second round. Both QB's have made postseason nearly every season.

So far in Carolina,Philly and Seattle's case all three of these clubs were very agressive bringing in QB after QB until they found the right one. Being aggressive and constantly bringing in different ones WORKED.

Some teams big mistake is holding on to one for too long when that QB is not the right one. Or they draft a QB and spend four achingly long years when it was probably clear way before the fourth year the QB wasn't worth keeping. Teams that did this recently include Tennessee with Jake Locker,Washington with Jason Campbell,Minnesota with Tarvaris Jackson,NY Jets with Mark Sanchez,Tampa Bay with Josh Freeman,Buffalo with Trent Edwards and Jax with Blaine Gabbert. St. Louis with Bradford but he battled injuries constantly. Every one of these teams stuck with these QB's way too long and the patience never paid off for any of these teams. Spending four years on a guy in these age is asinine if they guy isn't working.

Washington has since drafted RGIII not looking good,N.Y. Jets drafted Geno Smith not looking good,Buffalo with EJ Manuel not looking good,Minnesota struck out with Ponder now have Bridgewater,Tampa recently drafted Winston and Tennessee recently drafted Mariota. Houston recently drafted Savage and brought in Mallet and Hoyer in free agency. Cleveland and Oakland both have gone through many QB's but recently drafted Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr. Jax recently drafted Blake Bortles.

Some teams are wise enough to look and yank a vet QB off the market that rare time when a good one becomes available examples of this are Arizona who came off a losing season in 2012 bringing in Carson Palmer and have went 10-6 and 11-5 with him,Kansas City coming off a losing season in 2012 got Alex Smith and have went 11-5 and 9-7 with him,Peyton Manning joined Denver in 2012 and they've been kings of the AFC west,Drew Brees joined New Orleans in 2006 and won a Super Bowl a few years later.

Pittsburgh,NY Giants,San Diego all found their QB's in 2004 draft getting Roethlisberger,Manning and Rivers.

Green Bay has had two QB in last quarter century and Aaron Rodgers since 2008 he was first rounder

Indy has had two QB last twenty years Luck since 2012 he was first rounder

New England has had Brady since 2000 he was sixth rounder

Dallas has had Tony Romo past decade he was undrafted.

Detroit has had Matt Stafford since 2009. he was first rounder.

Atlanta has had Matt Ryan since 2008. he was first rounder.

Chicago has had Jay Cutler since 2009. he was first rounder gotten in trade.

Finding the true franchise QB is tough and it's only going to get tougher as the CFB feeder system likes the read option dual threat player...they're easier to recruit because HS football has also gone to mostly read option type OFC also.

That's why Luck was viewed as a once a decade type prospect and there was mumbling about RG3's bust potential.

Some of the smaller school QBs that still run pro style OFC are getting drafted higher like Bortles.

Russell Wilson has since broken the myth that athletic QBs can't win SBs, but I'm not sure he would have done that playing with Tampa's roster.

Bottomline..in this rookie cap era, as a QB, you need to show results within the 1st 2 seasons starting.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finding the true franchise QB is tough and it's only going to get tougher as the CFB feeder system likes the read option dual threat player...they're easier to recruit because HS football has also gone to mostly read option type OFC also.

That's why Luck was viewed as a once a decade type prospect and there was mumbling about RG3's bust potential.

Some of the smaller school QBs that still run pro style OFC are getting drafted higher like Bortles.

Russell Wilson has since broken the myth that athletic QBs can't win SBs, but I'm not sure he would have done that playing with Tampa's roster.

Bottomline..in this rookie cap era, as a QB, you need to show results within the 1st 2 seasons starting.

Agree with ya. The QB issue to me is definitely have and have nots and the ones without a good QB are the have nots which is usually the same teams each year until certain ones get lucky like Minnesota did with Bridgewater and Oakland with Carr in '14 because before then both of these teams were definitely struggling yearly along with Cleveland,Tennessee,Jacksonville,Buffalo,Washington,NY Jets. All these teams are finishing in the middle or near the bottom because of QB issues.

Tennessee could turn the corner with Mariota. Jacksonville possibly with Bortles. NY Jets will be good especially on defense in spite of Geno Smith who clearly isnt the answer. Washington i'm afraid will continue to struggle with RG3. Buffalo has a killer roster but no QB. Cleveland it seems they will never found a QB i don't see Manziel doing much. Could be wrong though.

New England,Green Bay and Indy make the postseason pretty much yearly. Pittsburgh,Baltimore,Denver,Seattle,etc. more often than not make it in postseason. Philly,Dallas,San Diego,Carolina,Detroit,Atlanta,New Orleans make it here and there and all the teams mentioned have franchise QB's.

Ironically i used to love mobile/dual threat QB's i grew up when Randall Cunningham came along. But after dealing with VY/Locker and watching both ultimately fail because they were mediocre in the pocket has pretty much soured me on dual threats and all i wanted was to see TN pick a good pocket passer which seemed the case with Mettenberger then what do the bastards go and do? draft another damn dual threat Mariota after the last two drafted dual threats failed in TN. Insanity.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with ya. The QB issue to me is definitely have and have nots and the ones without a good QB are the have nots which is usually the same teams each year until certain ones get lucky like Minnesota did with Bridgewater and Oakland with Carr in '14 because before then both of these teams were definitely struggling yearly along with Cleveland,Tennessee,Jacksonville,Buffalo,Washington,NY Jets. All these teams are finishing in the middle or near the bottom because of QB issues.

Tennessee could turn the corner with Mariota. Jacksonville possibly with Bortles. NY Jets will be good especially on defense in spite of Geno Smith who clearly isnt the answer. Washington i'm afraid will continue to struggle with RG3. Buffalo has a killer roster but no QB. Cleveland it seems they will never found a QB i don't see Manziel doing much. Could be wrong though.

New England,Green Bay and Indy make the postseason pretty much yearly. Pittsburgh,Baltimore,Denver,Seattle,etc. more often than not make it in postseason. Philly,Dallas,San Diego,Carolina,Detroit,Atlanta,New Orleans make it here and there and all the teams mentioned have franchise QB's.

Ironically i used to love mobile/dual threat QB's i grew up when Randall Cunningham came along. But after dealing with VY/Locker and watching both ultimately fail because they were mediocre in the pocket has pretty much soured me on dual threats and all i wanted was to see TN pick a good pocket passer which seemed the case with Mettenberger then what do the bastards go and do? draft another damn dual threat Mariota after the last two drafted dual threats failed in TN. Insanity.

The have nots.

I agree OAK, JAX and MIN can probably come off this list...especially MIN & JAX...the key now is to build around them.

NYJ...Smith may not be the answer, but much like the RG3 situation...these guys started way too early.

BUF...ditto.

CLE...in hindsight maybe they did well not taking RG3, but they're still searching for a QB and imo they will not find him in Manziel.

WAS...RG3 imo has the talent to play in the league and be an effective starter, but I don't expect it to happen in WAS...not sure of the HC and QB are on one accord as to who the starter should be.

I'm fine with dual threat QBs. RW understands the balance. Rodgers can run well but he also understand he's the last resort or it's wide open. If Cam were my QB...I might call his number to get a key 1st down, etc. but designed runs...maybe 10 or 12 a year.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The have nots.

I agree OAK, JAX and MIN can probably come off this list...especially MIN & JAX...the key now is to build around them.

NYJ...Smith may not be the answer, but much like the RG3 situation...these guys started way too early.

BUF...ditto.

CLE...in hindsight maybe they did well not taking RG3, but they're still searching for a QB and imo they will not find him in Manziel.

WAS...RG3 imo has the talent to play in the league and be an effective starter, but I don't expect it to happen in WAS...not sure of the HC and QB are on one accord as to who the starter should be.

I'm fine with dual threat QBs. RW understands the balance. Rodgers can run well but he also understand he's the last resort or it's wide open. If Cam were my QB...I might call his number to get a key 1st down, etc. but designed runs...maybe 10 or 12 a year.

Dual threats are great but its tricky because a lot that are drafted don't work out. Rodgers and Luck are really good ones. Russell Wilson and Cam Newton are some of my favorites. I would love for Mariota to be as successful as these guys.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dual threats are great but its tricky because a lot that are drafted don't work out. Rodgers and Luck are really good ones. Russell Wilson and Cam Newton are some of my favorites. I would love for Mariota to be as successful as these guys.

The Titans are in much better shape on OFC in terms of supporting cast for Mariota...they're just young. I'm biased b/c I like Mett's talent potential a lot, but I really felt they should have gone with the big DT or traded the pick.

But...I sense that the GM and HC are not on the same page...Whiz will likely get fired if they don't show some improvement early and the ferris wheel starts all over again...worse thing that could happen to MM.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sometimes, they happen by accident

TheDrop_MoLewis_470x264.gif

18s3lw4npfibjjpg.jpg

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Titans are in much better shape on OFC in terms of supporting cast for Mariota...they're just young. I'm biased b/c I like Mett's talent potential a lot, but I really felt they should have gone with the big DT or traded the pick.

But...I sense that the GM and HC are not on the same page...Whiz will likely get fired if they don't show some improvement early and the ferris wheel starts all over again...worse thing that could happen to MM.

Same here. I wanted Leonard Williams bad. My other scenario which i probably would've done had i been GM would've been to trade that number two pick to Philly for extra picks and players. Then i would roll with Mett as starting QB we still would've gotten DGB in round two and the rest of the picks then the extra picks plus players from Philly would restock the defense so Titans defense would've had Fletcher Cox,Mychal Kendricks plus Jurrell Casey and the rest of the Titans D who are coached this year by Dick LeBeau. I think they would've been fine starting with Mett and getting either Leonard Williams or trading the number two pick. However we are rolling with Mariota i just hope it turns out to be the correct decision. Webster said there were offers but they liked Mariota too much to trade the pick.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sometimes, they happen by accident

TheDrop_MoLewis_470x264.gif

18s3lw4npfibjjpg.jpg

Crazy how fate smiled upon the Patriots. Admit though that you like many other fans probably thought at first that the season was screwed because of Bledsoe getting hurt.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes teams get lucky. Go back to 2001. Both Rams and Pats got lucky because Warner and Brady came out of left field. Just a couple years before no one would've dream a St. Louis/New England matchup in the SB.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy how fate smiled upon the Patriots. Admit though that you like many other fans probably thought at first that the season was screwed because of Bledsoe getting hurt.
oh, i was so pissed off at mo lewis.

now, i thank him.

remember, drew had just signed the largest deal in NFL history when he got hurt. he WAS the patriots. he still WAS the future even at his age.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indy seems to have Luck (Pardon the pun) with finding good QB's. Other teams not so much, guess it depends on luck as well as scouting.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. I wanted Leonard Williams bad. My other scenario which i probably would've done had i been GM would've been to trade that number two pick to Philly for extra picks and players. Then i would roll with Mett as starting QB we still would've gotten DGB in round two and the rest of the picks then the extra picks plus players from Philly would restock the defense so Titans defense would've had Fletcher Cox,Mychal Kendricks plus Jurrell Casey and the rest of the Titans D who are coached this year by Dick LeBeau. I think they would've been fine starting with Mett and getting either Leonard Williams or trading the number two pick. However we are rolling with Mariota i just hope it turns out to be the correct decision. Webster said there were offers but they liked Mariota too much to trade the pick.

Makes too much sense.

Seriously...is MM's ceiling THAT much higher than Mett's.

Circling back to your topic on the whole...I think it's a little luck and good timing to get a franchise QB. I remember the span from Bradshaw to Ben all too well...Cliff Stoudt, David Woodley, Tommy Maddox, Neal O'Donnell, etc. For Indy to hit paydirt back to back was amazing.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes too much sense.

Seriously...is MM's ceiling THAT much higher than Mett's.

Circling back to your topic on the whole...I think it's a little luck and good timing to get a franchise QB. I remember the span from Bradshaw to Ben all too well...Cliff Stoudt, David Woodley, Tommy Maddox, Neal O'Donnell, etc. For Indy to hit paydirt back to back was amazing.

As far as the GM in Tennessee concerned they really liked Mett but considered Mariota too good to pass up. I sure hope they are right. I remember Steelers hard luck in finding QB's after Bradshaw left because i became a fan in the 80's when Mark Malone was starter. From 1983-2004 was twenty one years between Bradshaw leaving and Ben joining. Once Tennessee finally got an NFL team in '99 i became a Titans fan.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the GM in Tennessee concerned they really liked Mett but considered Mariota too good to pass up. I sure hope they are right. I remember Steelers hard luck in finding QB's after Bradshaw left because i became a fan in the 80's when Mark Malone was starter. From 1983-2004 was twenty one years between Bradshaw leaving and Ben joining. Once Tennessee finally got an NFL team in '99 i became a Titans fan.

Being originally from Mphs, I've always had a fondness for the Titans, and disdain for the Mphs City Council who voted down Adams' request to build a new stadium down on the riverfront...stupid...he kept going right up I-40 and got a quick yes from Nashville.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being originally from Mphs, I've always had a fondness for the Titans, and disdain for the Mphs City Council who voted down Adams' request to build a new stadium down on the riverfront...stupid...he kept going right up I-40 and got a quick yes from Nashville.

Yeah i'm a life long resident of Memphis and after going to games up in Nashville we really love it up there and plan on moving there in the future. Sad but Memphis has become a dump.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i'm a life long resident of Memphis and after going to games up in Nashville we really love it up there and plan on moving there in the future. Sad but Memphis has become a dump.

Mphs will always be home I guess as far as TN is concerned, but more than likely I have lived my last day as a TN resident.

Become...lol...I was just back in Mphs recently and at least from a tourist standpoint...the city has come a long way from when I last lived there.

I drove up to Nashville from ATL once for a game when the Steelers came to town and I thought the city did a good job with the stadium.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An anonymous offensive coach told ESPN's Mike Sando that Robert Griffin III is "done and there's no coming back."

"The injury slowed his legs, and his ego will not allow him to hit rock bottom and actually grind his way back up the right way," the coach continued. In a poll of 35 coaches and personnel executives, the vast majority felt this way. "To get better in this league, you have to have a degree of humility," a personnel director said. RGIII was ranked as the league's 28th-best quarterback in the poll, finishing ahead of only Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Matt Cassel and Geno Smith.

Well I know the Rams are smiling.
Guess we can put to bed which team won out in that trade.

What's different between RGIII & Wilson is what is between the ears.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland's woes at the QB position since re-establishing the franchise have been brutal. Its sickening seeing Indy turnover 1 franchise QB in Manning and landing another in Luck the very next year.

But, I like the way Cleveland's building now. They are definitely beefing up on the defensive end of the ball and trying to take a page out of Baltimore and Tampa Bay's books where they had stellar defenses and a good enough QB to get by. It should lead to more predictable success than betting the farm on a new QB each year.