• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Team Successes/Failures In Finding Franchise QB's

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different ideas work for different teams in their search for a franchise QB.......

Looking at every team and how they've fared and if they have found a franchise QB or still looking.

For instance Carolina i have to give them credit even though they drafted two QB's Clausen and Pike the year before in 2010 they went ahead and drafted Cam Newton in 2011 and it was the right decision. Most any other team that just drafted two QB's would be asking fans for patience to give each QB more time but Carolina were aggressive and constantly drafting until they found the right one.

Philadelphia drafted a QB In 2010,2012 and 2014 every other year which is a pretty good strategy and Foles drafted in 2012 was the best one of the bunch. Foles was a third round round pick. They recently flipped him for Sam Bradford.

Seattle brought in Charlie Whitehurst from San Diego but that didn't work. They then brought in Tarvaris Jackson from Minnesota which also did not work. Then a third QB was brought in Matt Flynn which didn't work but that same offseason they drafted Russell Wilson in the third round and went with Wilson who was more talented.

In 2011 Cincinnati drafted Andy Dalton in second round and San Francisco drafted Colin Kaepernick in second round. Both QB's have made postseason nearly every season.

So far in Carolina,Philly and Seattle's case all three of these clubs were very agressive bringing in QB after QB until they found the right one. Being aggressive and constantly bringing in different ones WORKED.

Some teams big mistake is holding on to one for too long when that QB is not the right one. Or they draft a QB and spend four achingly long years when it was probably clear way before the fourth year the QB wasn't worth keeping. Teams that did this recently include Tennessee with Jake Locker,Washington with Jason Campbell,Minnesota with Tarvaris Jackson,NY Jets with Mark Sanchez,Tampa Bay with Josh Freeman,Buffalo with Trent Edwards and Jax with Blaine Gabbert. St. Louis with Bradford but he battled injuries constantly. Every one of these teams stuck with these QB's way too long and the patience never paid off for any of these teams. Spending four years on a guy in these age is asinine if they guy isn't working.

Washington has since drafted RGIII not looking good,N.Y. Jets drafted Geno Smith not looking good,Buffalo with EJ Manuel not looking good,Minnesota struck out with Ponder now have Bridgewater,Tampa recently drafted Winston and Tennessee recently drafted Mariota. Houston recently drafted Savage and brought in Mallet and Hoyer in free agency. Cleveland and Oakland both have gone through many QB's but recently drafted Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr. Jax recently drafted Blake Bortles.

Some teams are wise enough to look and yank a vet QB off the market that rare time when a good one becomes available examples of this are Arizona who came off a losing season in 2012 bringing in Carson Palmer and have went 10-6 and 11-5 with him,Kansas City coming off a losing season in 2012 got Alex Smith and have went 11-5 and 9-7 with him,Peyton Manning joined Denver in 2012 and they've been kings of the AFC west,Drew Brees joined New Orleans in 2006 and won a Super Bowl a few years later.

Pittsburgh,NY Giants,San Diego all found their QB's in 2004 draft getting Roethlisberger,Manning and Rivers.

Green Bay has had two QB in last quarter century and Aaron Rodgers since 2008 he was first rounder

Indy has had two QB last twenty years Luck since 2012 he was first rounder

New England has had Brady since 2000 he was sixth rounder

Dallas has had Tony Romo past decade he was undrafted.

Detroit has had Matt Stafford since 2009. he was first rounder.

Atlanta has had Matt Ryan since 2008. he was first rounder.

Chicago has had Jay Cutler since 2009. he was first rounder gotten in trade.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's painful to say the least.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's painful to say the least.

You guys have one of the best if not the best roster in the whole league right now. If i'm Rex Ryan i go to the GM/ownership and say hey i went to two straight AFC title games as Jets coach but lost because of a bad QB. I then ask ownership to look around for a team willing to part with a young promising vet most likely Glennon in Tampa. Personally i'd be worried with Manuel,Cassel,Taylor or Simms at QB. There could be a chance Dalton or Kaepernick becomes available after this season if so either one of those guys would be worth looking at. Window is wide open right now for Buffalo to go far.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB situation for all teams in NFL....

AFC EAST-
New England--Tom Brady-drafted 6th rd.,16 year vet
Miami--Ryan Tannehill-drafted 1st rd.,4 year vet
N.Y. Jets--Geno Smith-drafted 2nd rd.,3 year vet
Buffalo--Matt Cassel-drafted 7th rd.,11 year vet

AFC NORTH-
Pittsburgh--Ben Roethlisberger-drafted 1st rd.,12 year vet
Baltimore--Joe Flacco-drafted 1st rd.,8 year vet
Cincinnati--Andy Dalton-drafted 2nd rd.,5 year vet
Cleveland--Josh McCown-drafted 3rd rd.,14 year vet

AFC SOUTH-
Indianapolis--Andrew Luck-drafted 1st. rd.,4 year vet
Houston--Brian Hoyer-undrafted.,7 year vet
Tennessee--Marcus Mariota-drafted 1st rd.,rookie
Jacksonville--Blake Bortles-drafted 1st rd.,2 year vet

AFC WEST-
Denver--Peyton Manning-drafted 1st rd.,18 year vet
San Diego--Phillip Rivers-drafted 1st rd.,12 year vet
Kansas City--Alex Smith-drafted 1st rd.,11 year vet
Oakland--Derek Carr--drafted 2nd rd.,2 year vet

NFC EAST-
Dallas--Tony Romo-undrafted.,13 year vet
N.Y. Giants--Eli Manning-drafted 1st rd.,12 year vet
Philadelphia--Sam Bradford-drafted 1st rd.,6 year vet
Washington--RG3-drafted 1st rd.,4 year vet

NFC NORTH-
Green Bay--Aaron Rodgers-drafted 1st rd.,11 year vet
Detroit--Matt Stafford-drafted 1st rd.,7 year vet
Chicago--Jay Cutler-drafted 1st rd.,10 year vet
Minnesota--Teddy Bridgewater-1st rd.,2 year vet

NFC SOUTH-
New Orleans--Drew Brees-drafted 2nd rd.,15 year vet
Atlanta--Matt Ryan-drafted 1st rd.,8 year vet
Carolina--Cam Newton-drafted 1st rd.,5 year vet
Tampa Bay--Jameis Winston-drafted 1st rd.,rookie

NFC WEST-
Seattle--Russell Wilson-drafted 3rd rd.,4 year vet
St. Louis--Nick Foles-drafted 3rd rd.,4 year vet
San Francisco--Colin Kaepernick-drafted 2nd rd.,4 year vet
Arizona--Carson Palmer-drafted 1st. rd.,13 year vet

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Starting QB's.....
20 first round picks,5 second rounders,3 third rounders,1 sixth rounder,1,seventh rounder and 2 undrafted.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB situation for all teams in NFL....

AFC EAST-
New England--Tom Brady-drafted 6th rd.,16 year vet
Miami--Ryan Tannehill-drafted 1st rd.,4 year vet
N.Y. Jets--Geno Smith-drafted 2nd rd.,3 year vet
Buffalo--Matt Cassel-drafted 7th rd.,11 year vet

AFC NORTH-
Pittsburgh--Ben Roethlisberger-drafted 1st rd.,12 year vet
Baltimore--Joe Flacco-drafted 1st rd.,8 year vet
Cincinnati--Andy Dalton-drafted 2nd rd.,5 year vet
Cleveland--Josh McCown-drafted 3rd rd.,14 year vet

AFC SOUTH-
Indianapolis--Andrew Luck-drafted 1st. rd.,4 year vet
Houston--Brian Hoyer-undrafted.,7 year vet
Tennessee--Marcus Mariota-drafted 1st rd.,rookie
Jacksonville--Blake Bortles-drafted 1st rd.,2 year vet

AFC WEST-
Denver--Peyton Manning-drafted 1st rd.,18 year vet
San Diego--Phillip Rivers-drafted 1st rd.,12 year vet
Kansas City--Alex Smith-drafted 1st rd.,11 year vet
Oakland--Derek Carr--drafted 2nd rd.,2 year vet

NFC EAST-
Dallas--Tony Romo-undrafted.,13 year vet
N.Y. Giants--Eli Manning-drafted 1st rd.,12 year vet
Philadelphia--Sam Bradford-drafted 1st rd.,6 year vet
Washington--RG3-drafted 1st rd.,4 year vet

NFC NORTH-
Green Bay--Aaron Rodgers-drafted 1st rd.,11 year vet
Detroit--Matt Stafford-drafted 1st rd.,7 year vet
Chicago--Jay Cutler-drafted 1st rd.,10 year vet
Minnesota--Teddy Bridgewater-1st rd.,2 year vet

NFC SOUTH-
New Orleans--Drew Brees-drafted 2nd rd.,15 year vet
Atlanta--Matt Ryan-drafted 1st rd.,8 year vet
Carolina--Cam Newton-drafted 1st rd.,5 year vet
Tampa Bay--Jameis Winston-drafted 1st rd.,rookie

NFC WEST-
Seattle--Russell Wilson-drafted 3rd rd.,4 year vet
St. Louis--Nick Foles-drafted 3rd rd.,4 year vet
San Francisco--Colin Kaepernick-drafted 2nd rd.,4 year vet
Arizona--Carson Palmer-drafted 1st. rd.,13 year vet

Matt Cassel will be lucky to be wearing a jersey come September. You should have listed EJ Manuel, as terrible as he's been, he has a better shot at starting. Geesh, Tyrod Taylor has a better shot at starting. I don't know why so many sports sites have Cassel atop the depth chart. It's simply not the case.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Cassel will be lucky to be wearing a jersey come September. You should have listed EJ Manuel, as terrible as he's been, he has a better shot at starting. Geesh, Tyrod Taylor has a better shot at starting. I don't know why so many sports sites have Cassel atop the depth chart. It's simply not the case.

You are right Manuel or Taylor could win the starting job. Cassel due to experience factors could get picked by Ryan. I don't doubt anything in this instance. its wide open as far as starting job

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you feel about Manuel?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the person. The QB has to get better pre-snap, and post-snap. I'd love for him to be our guy if he can become a good player, but I'll have to see it first.

Hoping now that Mariota is signed we can swing Mettenberger.

Cassel was by far the worst QB at OTA's. I really don't think he has a chance.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If i'm a GM my strategy would be a mixture of Seattle,Carolina and Philly way of looking. First off i would not spend four years on a draft pick waiting for that player to pan out. This is the reason the following teams failed miserably Tennessee,Washington,Buffalo,Minnesota,Jacksonville,Tampa Bay,N.Y. Jets,etc. All have sinced drafted new QB's BUT spent way too long grooming the prior ones.

If i can get the rare vet like Brees,Alex Smith,Carson Palmer or Peyton Manning you jump on that immediately a vet QB as proven can instantly change a teams fortunes. If you can't get a vet and must draft my strategy is spend a year with one maybe two at max if it doesn't look like it will work draft again this is what Philly and Carolina did and it worked. Also Seattle tried trading for a promising young vet but Whitehurst,Flynn,nor Jackson worked.

Sometimes trading for a young vet QB does work like when Houston traded a pick for Matt Schaub they got a good six years out of him. I think there are some young vets stuck that could start somewhere like Glennon/Mettenberger. Seattle eventually drafted Russell Wilson in the third round the same round Philly drafted Nick Foles. Mike Glennon in 2013 was drafted in the third round. In 2011 both Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick were successfully drafted in the second round. In 2014 both Derrick Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo were drafted in the second round.

Overall i would try and find a QB in the first two rounds maybe three if i'm drafting a QB unless a guy dropped for injury/off the field purposes like Mettenberger i wouldn't draft anyone past the third round the odds aren't good. Mettenberger was originally projected as a second rounder before his draft stock took a hit due to off the field stuff and an injury.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of having a top 5 pick in the draft with a clear pro ready QB or two in it, drafting a QB is a crap shoot with today's college football.

Ravskins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Ravens fan, I've seen both over the past 10 years. Drafting Boller in the 1st in 2003 and waiting for him to develop. Of course it never happen and wasted about 3 to 4 years of the Ravens defense in their prime. They did get McNair in 2006 which they promptly turned it around.

Then Flacco was drafted in 2008. A very heavy run offense which he was able to sprinkle in the occasional big play. It worked great for his rookie year. Got the team to the AFCCG. I really didn't know if they had a QB. They drafted him coming out of Delaware and that is a huge leap to the NFL.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise QB's are one of the hardest things to find in the NFL... It can literally make your team a loser for decades not finding one... I"ve felt plenty of pain from poor QB play over the years... I sat through "Dan McWire", "Kelley Stouffer", "Stan Gelbagaugh" ( Who actually played respectfully under the circumstance) "Rick Mirer", (Had and ok rookie season but did nothing but regress) "Trent Dilfer" (Played ok) "Tarvaris Jackson" ( Played ok) "Jon Kitna" (Played ok) "Seneca Wallace"( Terrible) ... But yeah it's painful when your QB doesn't give you a chance from poor play... "Warren Moon", "Dave Krieg", "Matt Hasselbeck", "Jim Zorn" were all Seattle's top guy's until Wilson..... Russell Wilson is by far the best QB the Seahawks have ever had, call him a game manager all you want, Wilson mentally is the best QB in Seahawks history.... He never get's scared of a situation whether it's week 1 or the playoffs... We've never had a leader like Russ ... And I've watched every QB since day 1 in Seahawks history ... So yeah, franchise QB's are DAM hard to find.....

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise QB's are one of the hardest things to find in the NFL... It can literally make your team a loser for decades not finding one... I"ve felt plenty of pain from poor QB play over the years... I sat through "Dan McWire", "Kelley Stouffer", "Stan Gelbagaugh" ( Who actually played respectfully under the circumstance) "Rick Mirer", (Had and ok rookie season but did nothing but regress) "Trent Dilfer" (Played ok) "Tarvaris Jackson" ( Played ok) "Jon Kitna" (Played ok) "Seneca Wallace"( Terrible) ... But yeah it's painful when your QB doesn't give you a chance from poor play... "Warren Moon", "Dave Krieg", "Matt Hasselbeck", "Jim Zorn" were all Seattle's top guy's until Wilson..... Russell Wilson is by far the best QB the Seahawks have ever had, call him a game manager all you want, Wilson mentally is the best QB in Seahawks history.... He never get's scared of a situation whether it's week 1 or the playoffs... We've never had a leader like Russ ... And I've watched every QB since day 1 in Seahawks history ... So yeah, franchise QB's are DAM hard to find.....

The best QB's in Seattle history are Russell Wilson,Matt Hasselbeck,Dave Krieg.

Zorn was a huge part of the early years and Moon only played two seasons.

They weren't my favorite team but i always liked the Seahawks going back to first watching football as a kid during the Krieg,Curt Warner,Kenny Easley years.

If you were a fan during that awful 90's decade it made the success they finally got recently feel really good after dealing with all the ups and downs.

Good drafting especially defense,getting Wilson and bringing in Lynch were the three big things that set in motion the team eventually starting to get good beginning in 2012 up until now.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of having a top 5 pick in the draft with a clear pro ready QB or two in it, drafting a QB is a crap shoot with today's college football.
I agree, a team that gets a pro ready QB is more lucky than clever.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bernie Kosar
30 years ago

Good job Browns

Kosar was the last really good Cleveland QB. They have been to hell and back since '95 twenty years ago with some really hard luck. If the owner would've butted out they could've drafted Bridgewater. Farmer has built a really good roster and would've drafted Bridgewater which would've had Cleveland in a good position again horrible though that inept ownership interfered and messed it up.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, a team that gets a pro ready QB is more lucky than clever.

Very true and there have been some damn good QB's that made horrible coaches look like geniuses. Indy are very lucky they were in the right place twice and were able to get Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck both one in a generation QB's. Green Bay have been lucky they got Favre then Rodgers. Most teams don't get that lucky both those two are at the top of the list. New England has had Tom Brady fifteen years.

All teams go through that scary period of losing a good QB they had for a decade or more. Tennessee has been trying to find McNair's replacement for ten years. Buffalo have been looking for years for Jim Kelly's replacement. St. Louis has still not replaced Kurt Warner. Jacksonville has never truly replaced Mark Brunell. Cleveland has never gotten a good one to replace Bernie Kosar. Miami has been trying to replace Marino for years. Even though there is a salary cap the same teams still go to the playoffs every year because of one thing...a good QB. A good case of the haves and have nots.

Some teams are lucky enough to get a vet QB when they become available which is how Arizona and Kansas City are back in the win column. Whats scary is this same scenario will soon play out with New Orleans when Brees retires. Denver when Manning retires. Dallas when Romo retires. San Diego when Rivers hangs em up. New England when Brady is gone. NY Giants when Eli is done. Pittsburgh and Roethlisberger. All these teams are nearing that time in the coming years all these QB have played for over a decade.

This has played out when Montana and Young left the dynasty that was in San Francisco. Troy Aikman eventually retired and Dallas faded. Jim Kelly had Buffalo in the thick of the AFC for years and then they faded. St. Louis faded when Warner left and the greatest show on turf was gone. Rich Gannon had Oakland near the top of the AFC for a good while but he eventually retired and they faded as well. McNair lead Tennessee to the NFL's best record between 1999-2004. Donovan McNabb had Philly in the NFC championship nearly every year there for a while and he eventually retired.

What will happen in the coming years is a new team will come out of nowhere like Seattle did and take the league by force. Who those teams are remain to be seen.........