• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taylor Mays to be traded?!?

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we could put together a package with Mays involving Samuel, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I see no need to trade just to trade.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we even know what teams were interested in Mays on draft day? I remember that was the year the Cowboys draft board leaked out and i thought they had him on it. I can't remember where, though.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we even know what teams were interested in Mays on draft day? I remember that was the year the Cowboys draft board leaked out and i thought they had him on it. I can't remember where, though.

I think he was pretty low on their board, I can't remember for sure...4th?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cowboys Draft Board

They had Taylor in the 2nd round.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mays can be quite the force near the LOS... as a blitzer(got some good speed) or an intermediate zone defendor....

I still believe!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Bird. I couldn't remember if it was 2nd or 3rd. I remember we were talking about how high they had Bowman.

I guess it's a good thing the Cowboys were able to get Sean Lee (who they had at 14) in the 2nd round, otherwise Navarro (they had him at 20) never would have been there for the 49ers in the 3rd.

They sure fell in love with that Penn State LB corps, to have 2 of them so high.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Mays can be quite the force near the LOS... as a blitzer(got some good speed) or an intermediate zone defendor....

I still believe!

Dude, they should not give up on Mays! I'm sure there must be some packages where he can contribute, maybe as a linebacker, and also he's a beast on special teams.

The guy has a great attitude, work ethic and loves to play as well.

I don't see how there are 4 better safeties on the team, with more potential than Mays?

We better not let him go for some late draft pick that would be stupid.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, they should not give up on Mays! I'm sure there must be some packages where he can contribute, maybe as a linebacker, and also he's a beast on special teams.

The guy has a great attitude, work ethic and loves to play as well.

I don't see how there are 4 better safeties on the team, with more potential than Mays?

We better not let him go for some late draft pick that would be stupid.

The Harbaugh staffs looks like they want a different kind of Safety. Under the Singletary regime they wanted hard hitting ball hawks, where now we look like we want solid cover guys down field. That's just my opinion, but it looks like we are trying to avoid giving away big plays and that doesn't really fit the type of player Mays is.

I wouldn't want to trade Mays for anything less than a 3rd, but for what you just described i don't see how a situational guy would merit his 2nd round draft status.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Harbaugh staffs looks like they want a different kind of Safety. Under the Singletary regime they wanted hard hitting ball hawks, where now we look like we want solid cover guys down field. That's just my opinion, but it looks like we are trying to avoid giving away big plays and that doesn't really fit the type of player Mays is.

I wouldn't want to trade Mays for anything less than a 3rd, but for what you just described i don't see how a situational guy would merit his 2nd round draft status.

A 3rd would be ok. We dropped from a 2nd to a 3rd. I doubt anyone would give us a 3rd.

From the safeties we have, Reggie Smith is the best cover guy and he's probably about average as a FS in the league. From what I'm reading Whitner and Madieu Williams have been a bit of a liability in coverage recently. But they all probably cover better than Mays does.

I do not think Mays was worth a 2nd in hindsight, but he's not on an expensive contract and a guy with his size, strength, speed and hitting ability must be able to contribute somehow to the team???

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 3rd would be ok. We dropped from a 2nd to a 3rd. I doubt anyone would give us a 3rd.

From the safeties we have, Reggie Smith is the best cover guy and he's probably about average as a FS in the league. From what I'm reading Whitner and Madieu Williams have been a bit of a liability in coverage recently. But they all probably cover better than Mays does.

I do not think Mays was worth a 2nd in hindsight, but he's not on an expensive contract and a guy with his size, strength, speed and hitting ability must be able to contribute somehow to the team???

I would be more than happy with a 3rd. I agree with you, though. For what we are paying him it doesn't really make sense unless we get something back worthwhile.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So I really doubt anyone will give us a 3rd. Mays has proven nothing on the field and is very raw.

Do you think the staff would actually just outright cut this guy when it comes to pruning down to the 54-man roster? You cannot put him on the practice squad someone will snatch him up.

I think it will come down to cutting him to get to the 54-man roster, but I just cannot imagine cutting him and giving up on him already?

Plus, Mays is signed for 3 more years, same as Whitner. But Reggie Smith, Madieu Williams are only signed for 1 more year.

calison3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would cut Madieu before I would cut Mays. If they are both going to be backups we might as well keep the guy who will be better on special teams and has more upside. Plus wasn't it Williams contract where like none of it is actually guaranteed if he doesn't make the squad.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bringing in Whitner may turn out to be a solid move cause I totally understand that we need a "thinking" saftey or someone who can read routes and anticipate the throws etc....

and honestly, to all, I can't really recall many plays that Mays gave up as big plays.... I know for a fact Goldson consistently gave up the big ones but Mays not so much... Still Mays strong suit is the SS and should play closer a la Wilson from AZ

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we give up on him at Safety, so be it. I'd like to see what he can do at LB during the preseason.