• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taylor Mays to be traded?!?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays was all Singletary - (Not that Baalke does not own some responsibility). In fact, I charge both Crabtree & Mays to Singletary's account.

What about Iupati and Davis then? But I'll say this, if you can put any faith in camp news (I would say almost zero, but still), then between the draft and FA Baalke is picking up his game. Not Ozzie Smith, but improving...

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Jim Harbaugh said 49ers received lot of Taylor Mays trade inquiries over past 8 days. Mays was at practice after having talk w/Trent Baalke.

calison3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mays was all Singletary - (Not that Baalke does not own some responsibility). In fact, I charge both Crabtree & Mays to Singletary's account.

You didn't like the Crab pick? I was pretty stoked when he fell to us. I have since changed my mind but back then I was pretty pumped up.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What about Iupati and Davis then? But I'll say this, if you can put any faith in camp news (I would say almost zero, but still), then between the draft and FA Baalke is picking up his game. Not Ozzie Smith, but improving...

Great point, Mem. I know Singletary was very instrumental in acquiring Mays (& Crabtree, but that was during McCloughan's tenure), so I would venture to guess that he was influential with both Iupati & Davis as well.

As for Baalke, it is too soon for me to judge, but I am certainly not disappointed thus far.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You didn't like the Crab pick? I was pretty stoked when he fell to us. I have since changed my mind but back then I was pretty pumped up.

No, not at all. I wanted nothing to do with Crabtree or any WR @ 10. In fact, my very first post (on the other board), voiced my strong opposition against taking a WR.

I wanted Oher, and when Crabtree unexpectedly fell to us, I wanted to trade down.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mays can play special teams.
He's signed on the cheap for the next 3 years.
Why not keep this guy and work hard to develop him?
He's got to have more upside than Madieu Williams who's 29.
Even if you resign Goldson still, then the 4 safeties could be:

Goldson, Whitner, Reggie Smith, Mays

Or keep 5 safeties we've done that before, then you could add Curtis or Spillman.

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can only think of one reason to keep Williams over Mays: if the 9ers want to start Smith, then having a veteran backup FS in Williams who can both help develop Smith and provide a reliable backup is probably more valuable.

Plus, hopefully the teams' willingness to trade Mays is based on receiving some decent offers where they get some value back. That's really the only good reason to trade him and have the guys who are currently somewhere in the 50-60 range on the roster inherit the backup SS role.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was adamantly against the Mays pick on the ESPN Boards, Really was hoping for Earl Thomas. Mays has all the physical ability but none of the instinct. Had he not gone to USC or a big name school he would have been a 5th or later round pick.I always hope players the Niners pick prove me wrong when I disagree with the pick but If the Niners can get a pick or package him with a pick to pick up a decent player its good.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering if one of these teams inquiring about Taylor Mays is the Eagles? Would Mays and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Samuel get it done?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think you could trade Mays straight up for Vernon Gholston. :-)

One physical freak for another. :-)

Seriously though, I actually still hope we keep Mays unless we get something good for him, which I doubt.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that we get nothing better than a 5th

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good morning everyone (every day that you can wake up is a good day) - If Mays cannot play the position and there are better special teams players, I think you trade him for whatever you can get or you let him go. Holding onto average and below average players just because they were a high draft pick (including QBs), gets us a losing team (IMHO).

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good morning everyone (every day that you can wake up is a good day) - If Mays cannot play the position and there are better special teams players, I think you trade him for whatever you can get or you let him go. Holding onto average and below average players just because they were a high draft pick (including QBs), gets us a losing team (IMHO).

Mays is just starting his 2nd year. It's way too early to tell if he can learn the position or not. Probably by his 3rd or 4th year you could tell.

Personally unless I get something great in a trade I would hang onto him.

We already are going to get a compensatory pick or two, do we really need another 5th round pick next year?

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It is possible to learn a position if you have the skill set. If Harbaugh is looking to move Mays, then I have to think that he doesn't believe that Mays can learn to play the position at an acceptable level. Harbaugh also has the "college level" of watching Mays play so the decision to let Mays go may have been a foregone conclusion.

Then again, Mays could wind up somewhere and turn into a pro-bowler.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm a fan of giving just about every rookie 3 years to see what they have but at the same time if a guy doesn't fit into the plan and never will.... get what you can and move on. He has all the physical gifts on the planet but sometimes that just doesn't translate to success in the league.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays can play special teams.
He's signed on the cheap for the next 3 years.
Why not keep this guy and work hard to develop him?
He's got to have more upside than Madieu Williams who's 29.
Even if you resign Goldson still, then the 4 safeties could be:

Goldson, Whitner, Reggie Smith, Mays

Or keep 5 safeties we've done that before, then you could add Curtis or Spillman.

I kinda like the idea of keeping him for special teams while still trying to turn him into a safety. It's nice to have someone that big and fast who likes to hit... come charging down the field on kick-offs and also get him out on the outside for punt coverage too.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I kinda like the idea of keeping him for special teams while still trying to turn him into a safety. It's nice to have someone that big and fast who likes to hit... come charging down the field on kick-offs and also get him out on the outside for punt coverage too.

He's got a great attitude so far. Works hard and good work ethic. Tries to pick the secondary coaches brain. Seems like a perfect guy to keep around and try to develop as a 4th safety and on ST.

Wasn't he one of the best players on ST last year?

These guys like Spillman, Madieu Williams, Maragos are quite common but to get a guy with Mays'es freak abilities is unique, and worth a longer shot in developping.

Maybe Mays should do some yoga, loosen those hips up? :-)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got a great attitude so far. Works hard and good work ethic. Tries to pick the secondary coaches brain. Seems like a perfect guy to keep around and try to develop as a 4th safety and on ST.

Wasn't he one of the best players on ST last year?

These guys like Spillman, Madieu Williams, Maragos are quite common but to get a guy with Mays'es freak abilities is unique, and worth a longer shot in developping.

Maybe Mays should do some yoga, loosen those hips up? :-)

The 49ers already made the investment, used a 2nd round pick on him, went through the trouble of having former players reach out to him and give him advice on how to succeed in the NFL. (Which I'm guessing is why he was picking the brains of the coaches)

I'd agree that his physical abilities and along with the investment the team made in him already are well worth the patience of say 2 more seasons, including this season, to see what he can turn into... it's nice that he has that chip on his shoulder for being passed over too.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Davis on why the 49ers are giving up on Taylor Mays, pretty much saying what a lot of you guys said about Taylor.

Davis on Mays