• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taylor Mays to be traded?!?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
? Just keep him and see what he has to offer in the future.

I dont agree with this. If the pick was a mistake, dont dwell in it and hang on to the player just because you think you have to or see if you might get lucky. It takes up a roster spot and stops us from having a potentially good player.

I say lets get something before more and more people find out he sucks and isnt even a safety

CGregg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course not. Unless players distinguish themselves immediately, their value depreciates right after being drafted. The only position that might be immune to this is QB. Mays will most likely go for a 5th round pick, MAYBE a 4th.

I completely agree. If all they could get back in return is a 5th, do you think we could see him traded for another player instead?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SANTA CLARA -- One year after safety Taylor Mays was selected with the No. 49 overall pick, it appears as if his days with the 49ers are numbered.

The 49ers on Thursday sent a mass email to teams around the NFL to announce that he's available in a trade, ESPN reported.

When camp opened last week, Mays was working with the second team, behind safeties Reggie Smith and C.J. Spillman. But Spillman was not eligible to practice after signing as an exclusive-rights free agent, and he has been ineligible to return to practice.

Mays worked with the first unit in the next four practices, but has not made any plays in the passing game. The 49ers' coaching staff is not convinced Mays at his size (he's listed at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds) has the agility to function in pass defense.

Mays started six games at safety last season after veteran Michael Lewis quit the team. Mays split time with Reggie Smith, who eventually replaced Mays and started the final seven games of the season.

When asked last week where he needs to make his most improvements, Mays answered, "Across the board, play better and play smarter. I have a lot more confidence now than I did last year. That's a big difference for me, and hopefully it makes a big difference in my game."

Smith has gotten off to a strong start in training camp. The 49ers have also added veteran safety Madieu Williams. Also, the 49ers could still bring back Dashon Goldson, who started all 16 games last season and called the defensive signals. Goldson remains unsigned as a free agent.

Goldson reacted on Twitter to the report of the 49ers making Mays available in a trade: "Not gonna comment on wht I jus heard about T Mays jus gonna do this....SMH c'mon man." (SMH is short for "shaking my head.")

Curtis Taylor and Chris Maragos are lining up as the safeties on the second-team defense. The 49ers also invested a sixth-round draft pick on safety Colin Jones from Texas Christian.

Read more: Report: 49ers float Mays as trade bait
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Amazing. Took the 49ers brass one year to figure out what I and many others here repeatedly said about Mays' ability to play. At this point what are they expecting to get back, a 5th round pick? Just keep him and see what he has to offer in the future.

We really did waste a 2nd round pick on this kid. What ashame. He made the probowl during my Madden season. We all know whatever happens in Madden, can be duplicated in real life.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really thought he would be coached up last year and be alright. I wouldn't write off a guy after one year though. He was never ready to play in the first place, but Lewis bailed and he was thrown out there. Why not keep him and see what he can do in the future?? And if we are going off of what they say in practice about guys like Reggie Smith, lock us up for a deep run in the playoffs. Cause all I've heard so far is CK has a great arm and makes all the throws... VD and Walker are like nothing ever seen, etc....

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow! I can recall being in several 'spirited' debates about this kid. I hated the pick, but always felt bad for Taylor. He was put up on a pedestal he should have never been put on.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One front office of another team told Schefter it has never seen a team just mass e-mail a trade availability like that.

I'm confused by that. I've read many times of the Raiders specifically doing this several times. I'm not arguing the effectiveness of going that route. I'm just saying that I've read about instances that it was supposedly done before.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow! I can recall being in several 'spirited' debates about this kid. I hated the pick, but always felt bad for Taylor. He was put up on a pedestal he should have never been put on.

Imac, et al said he sucked since the onset.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly sure how I feel about this. I was not a fan of the pick, but we'll never get that 2nd rounder back. The guy has still only had one off season, so his ceiling is still high and I doubt you can get someone with his physical attributes with a 5th rounder (which is probably what we'd get?).

If the staff feels like he's too stiff and will NEVER be able to play the position, I guess it's better to get rid of him but...I think I would play it like the Giants. I'd ask my price, and if I got it, great. If not, keep him. But you gotta shop it quieter than this, cuz now he's gonna have hard feeling to get over as well if you keep him.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Imac, et al said he sucked since the onset.

Yeah, there were several of us in harmony on that opinion. We recognized his physical gifts, but we were talking about his agility, instinct and acumen issues well before the draft.

Just for the sake of clarity, what I meant by my pedestal comment is the media put him on a pedestal, not us.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 49ers are trying to trade him, then they must think they have 4 safeties that are better then him and don't see Mays being able to make the adjustment at Safety. Maybe a 4-3 team wants to try him at LB. Lets just hope we can get a 4th for him, which is about where I thought he should have been drafted.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the 49ers are trying to trade him, then they must think they have 4 safeties that are better then him and don't see Mays being able to make the adjustment at Safety. Maybe a 4-3 team wants to try him at LB. Lets just hope we can get a 4th for him, which is about where I thought he should have been drafted.

The problem with converting him to a LB is, Mays can't cover; he doesn't have the agility to back pedal and turn his hips (at the speed of the NFL) and these are just a couple of the issues hurting him in coverage.

If I had to put Mays somewhere, I would try to convert him to a TE or an H-Back.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated the Mays pick as most of you probably remember. I have always wondered if Sing or Baalke was to blame. Now I know. Thanks a ton doofus.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sad about this one bit.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah for sure, I like the whitner signing, and i was confused by the taylor situation until they announced the signing of whitner who i thought to be going to CIN

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One front office of another team told Schefter it has never seen a team just mass e-mail a trade availability like that.

I'm confused by that. I've read many times of the Raiders specifically doing this several times. I'm not arguing the effectiveness of going that route. I'm just saying that I've read about instances that it was supposedly done before.

And I heard Schefter talk about a mass email regarding trading a player earlier last week. Forget who it referred to but I remember hearing it during a sportscenter and coffee morning.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not looking good for baalke's drafting so far. :(

Mays was all Singletary - (Not that Baalke does not own some responsibility). In fact, I charge both Crabtree & Mays to Singletary's account.