• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tAnnual Why do you follow your team thread

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd Generation Sooner Fan from very modest upbringing.

I secretly wished, as a child, to be named Elvis Peacock. True story.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Numerous people in family went to Texas. I graduated from Texas, been going to games a long time.

Reading the others above, there does really seem to be something to family indoctrination, or rather family gatherings from an early age, celebrating your favorite college team. In Texas, it also extends down to high school teams, and Friday Nights.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like father, like son. I was sold when he talked of Bear Bryant and Lee Roy Jordan when I was 5.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....

1. I was born in Tuscaloosa in 1994.
2. My parents went to Alabama games growing up.
3. They watched every televised game and as I got older they told me about it.
4. My first game I remember watching from start to fonish and actually understood what was going on was the 2000 Orange Bowl. Watching Shaun Alexander waltz into the end zone on our first play in OT, only to be followed by missing the game tying PAT... That was heartbreaking. I don't remember crying harder after a loss.
5. My mama graduated there in the early 90s and my brother just graduated there.
6. I probably won't be attending unless I try and get a degree in something other than what I'm planning on. I'll end up at Miss State going into wildlife management, something Alabama unfortunately doesn't offer.
7. Roll Damn Tide, Paul.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born and raised in Tennessee and have pretty much been a Tennessee fan for as long as I can remember. Guess a lot of it has to do with living in Tennessee and wanting to support the home state Volunteers. I'm also an MTSU fan because I lived in Murfreesboro for about 8 years, although Tennessee will always be #1 for me.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Born and raised in BR.

Grandfather worked for the LSU AD after working for the OU AD.

...oh graduated from there as well. :happy:

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generations of my family went to UWisc. So, I like to see them do poorly knowing that when they have a good season I'll never hear the f'ing end of it. Personally, I think they need to keep their traps shut until they beat OSUx.

Thank God I went to Florida and have no part in their faggotry.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started going to VT games in the early '90s when my oldest brother was there for his BS in mechanical engineering and I followed eight years later with my BS and MS in mechanical engineering.

Follow the Philly teams because the wife is from that area originally and I never did have a strong allegiance to pro teams, just liked watching pretty much any game.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive been an ND fan my whole life. No one knows why, I never knew anyone who went there, my family weren't big ND fans, but in 4th grade I told the neighbors that I was going to ND (to the shock of my parents). It ended up the only school I applied to. I'm still an ND fan, two kids have enrolled, one graduated, one's a junior.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My family move from Chicago to SC when I was 9 in 2001. Within the next two years I became a Vols fan but I not sure exactly why. Maybe I saw them on some highlights or maybe they were the first team I saw. Now I been going to Clemson for the past 3 years but Tennessee is still my favorite.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Family is all from Nebraska. Parents and many others went to UNL. I was raised on Husker sports. Have been going to games since before I can remember. Went to a different school due to proximity, cost and.... a girl. That I'm now married to.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Born and bred Gator - Dad did undergrad and law at UF. Mom and dad have had Gator season tickets for 60 years.

- Mother and all her family, my cousins, etc., all went to Illinois so I have some B1G influence in my life.

- I did undergrad at Vandy, law school at UGa. So, I am obviously a rabid Dawg fan, and a bandwagon Vandy fan (being anything other is the definition of insanity). I come across like I hate UF - what Dawg doesn't - but I can't sustain it ... been to too many games and spent too much time in Gainesville growing up.

- Live in Raleigh/Durham area, so have become more familiar with the ACC and felt more comfortable with UNC than Duke or NCState. So, we are Heels fans for hoops, and go see a few football games when friends' tickets are available.

Sic 'em Dawgs! and Anchor Down Dores (god, that sounds so fucking stupid!)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I'm a MISERABLE FUCKING BASTARD AND LIFE IS MEANINGLESS.

At least, that used to be the reason I followed South Carolina. Now it's to see how much ass they'll kick.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I follow the Baylore Bares because it's funny.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
University of Washington: Grew up in Seattle, my sister went to UW, my grandfather and grandmother went to UW, I completed my undergraduate degree at UW and have been a Husky fan my entire life.

Stanford: Not really a huge Stanford fan since I went there for my JD, but I do root for them for that reason and because I love the way they run their program.

UCLA: I feel inclined to list this simply because I root for Jim Mora. He really got the shaft here in Seattle with the Seahawks, it worked out the best for us, but he got kicked out of his dream job in his home town after just one bad season. I'm happy to see him be successful with UCLA and hope he continues coaching well.

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
University of Washington: Grew up in Seattle, my sister went to UW, my grandfather and grandmother went to UW, I completed my undergraduate degree at UW and have been a Husky fan my entire life.

Stanford: Not really a huge Stanford fan since I went there for my JD, but I do root for them for that reason and because I love the way they run their program.

UCLA: I feel inclined to list this simply because I root for Jim Mora. He really got the shaft here in Seattle with the Seahawks, it worked out the best for us, but he got kicked out of his dream job in his home town after just one bad season. I'm happy to see him be successful with UCLA and hope he continues coaching well.

Graduated from the School of Hard Knocks. Am a fan of UCLA and USC for geographical reasons. I'm a FAN, not an alum. For those that wonder how I can root for both, if they play each other, I root for the Bruins, unless national title hopes are at stake. Also root for BSU, due to my nearly three decades living here in Idaho. Soft spot for Idaho, since my son graduated from there (first and only college grad in our dysfunctional family. Proud of the boy.). Also follow Arkansas, my dad's home state.

Will mildly pull for UW for the time being also, big Chris Petersen fan.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I follow Pitt because they're my hometown team and my alma mater. Also because I hate on Penn State.