• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Talk of Eagles trading Asante Samuel heats up

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/19/talk-of-eagles-trading-asante-samuel-heats-up/

A week after saying he doesn’t know if he’s in the Eagles’ plans, cornerback Asante Samuel is talking about what his future destination might be.

On Twitter Saturday night, Samuel asked his followers, “If they trade me where would you guys like to see me go?”

Samuel’s question may have been inspired by comments from Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman, who compared the Eagles’ current cornerback situation with Samuel, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha to the Eagles’ former quarterback situation with Donovan McNabb, Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick. The Eagles ended up trading both McNabb and Kolb, and Roseman hinted that trading Samuel may be in the cards this year.

“Whenever you have a surplus at a particular position there are talks around the league, people call and your phone does ring,” Roseman told the News Journal, “and that’s happened in the past couple years by our quarterback situation.”

Roseman said that when the Eagles’ phone does ring, they’ll answer.

“We’re always open to phone calls and to seeing if something works,” Roseman said, “and really if there are win-win situations for particular teams and particular players, we’ll look at that and make a decision kind of in a vacuum.”

One way or another, Roseman said, he believes the players the Eagles do have on their defense will work together better in 2012 than they did in 2011 because this year they’ll have a full offseason together.

“Last year was a unique situation in terms of practice time and preparation time, so I think that it gives us an opportunity with this offseason, with a normal offseason, to kind of jell together,” Roseman said.

I know it's wishful thinking but we need trade for this guy and re-sign Rogers...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wouldn't take that contract if the Eagles gave up a draft pick.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't take that contract if the Eagles gave up a draft pick.

+1

I would much rather use that money for our own FA's and a WR. It may be worth it for a team like the Bucs, who have plenty of cap space and need help at CB with Ronde at the very end of his career and Talib's issues. If he's not traded he may end up getting released at some point. DRC will be wanting a big contract next year and they surely can't afford to pay Samuel, DRC, and Nnamdi big contracts.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1

I would much rather use that money for our own FA's and a WR. It may be worth it for a team like the Bucs, who have plenty of cap space and need help at CB with Ronde at the very end of his career and Talib's issues. If he's not traded he may end up getting released at some point. DRC will be wanting a big contract next year and they surely can't afford to pay Samuel, DRC, and Nnamdi big contracts.

No way DRC gets a big contract next season. He hasn't done anything to warrant a big contract, unless I'm trippin.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way DRC gets a big contract next season. He hasn't done anything to warrant a big contract, unless I'm trippin.

He's going to need a big season for sure, but i think he will bounce back.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd wait for the eagles to cut him. if we could swing it, him and rogers would be solid

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'd wait for the eagles to cut him. if we could swing it, him and rogers would be solid

we could use a pure cover guy (nickel back) who could take the slot receiver? Rogers did this last season but we don't know if he'll return? since its a pure cover corner, it shouldn't cost as much as a 'complete' starting CB.

could Brock be ready for this role?

even if Rogers re-signs, we could still use another NB in place of Spencer.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could use a pure cover guy (nickel back) who could take the slot receiver? Rogers did this last season but we don't know if he'll return? since its a pure cover corner, it shouldn't cost as much as a 'complete' starting CB.

to be honest, did Spencer even factor into the equation when it came to nickelback. Did he see any action on defense at all?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i wouldn't count of brock at this point. i'd rather he wins starting time instead of getting thrown into the mix our of desperation.

i wouldn't want asante as a #1 but i think he could do a decent job. if our pass rush keeps going i wouldn't be surprised to see someone like asante nab 10 ints

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually pass on Asante... our CBs did very well last year considering they played pass all games long. A few hiccups here and there and that's to be expected, no one is perfect.

pass on Samuel please.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Samuel + his price tag = NO THANK YOU

Samuel is a good player, a playmaker at the CB position but assuming we keep Rogers, the development of Brown and Culliver last year makes getting another upper echelon CB via FA much less a priority.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually pass on Asante... our CBs did very well last year considering they played pass all games long. A few hiccups here and there and that's to be expected, no one is perfect.

pass on Samuel please.

Agreed. Main concern should be re-signing Rogers and maybe add some depth through the draft or pick some cheaper guys up through free agency.