• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

T Brown graded out 39th out of 109

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After solidifying right cornerback in 2011, Tarell Brown is expected to remain a starter until his contract runs out in 2014.
Since entering the league in 2007, Brown had never played consistently enough to retain the starting job for a full season. Grading out 39th out of 109 cornerbacks rated by Pro Football Focus in 2011, Brown teamed with Carlos Rogers and Chris Culliver to give the Niners one of the top units in the league.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought Brown very quietly had a strong season. He was the scapegoat for big plays from time-to-time, but he was regularly out on an island, often with another team's best receiver, and I thought he showed a lot of growth in his first season as a starter. I'm optimistic about his future.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought Brown very quietly had a strong season. He was the scapegoat for big plays from time-to-time, but he was regularly out on an island, often with another team's best receiver, and I thought he showed a lot of growth in his first season as a starter. I'm optimistic about his future.

There's little to be desired with his ability to pull up (run support). However, not only is he the best "cover corner" in our team (yes I think he's slightly better than C. Rogers), but one the top cover corners in the entire league. I'm not even exagerrating. Had he been in the game instead Tramaine Brock, Manningham would never had scored that TD.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's little to be desired with his ability to pull up (run support). However, not only is he the best "cover corner" in our team (yes I think he's slightly better than C. Rogers), but one the top cover corners in the entire league. I'm not even exagerrating. Had he been in the game instead Tramaine Brock, Manningham would never had scored that TD.

I heard an interesting quote this morning on the radio from Tony Dungy. He was saying that when they were getting highlights ready for the post game they were watching the Manningham TD and he said the 49ers safety just let him land after the catch. (I haven't looked at the play yet) He said in the old days he would have been destroyed and probably dropped the ball, but with the new rules you couldn't do that. They were saying how football is going to be divided into eras like baseball. The live ball dead ball era etc. Because of the new NFL rules the offensive numbers are getting so large that it will be like the live ball era.

Back to the OT. I though Brown came on really strong this year. I was really pleasantly surprised by his play.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown definitely came on and ATM deserves his starters' role. He took it and kept it IMO....

Could've had a pick but got the wood from his Pro Bowl FS... damnitttttttttttttttt

why can't i live past that title game..... :(

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That INT that was robbed from him in Baltimore was nice. That was him right? Smith was arm bar on him and was gonna try a 1 hand catch but the defender made the catch.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That INT that was robbed from him in Baltimore was nice. That was him right? Smith was arm bar on him and was gonna try a 1 hand catch but the defender made the catch.

Yes.. so far my memory agrees with your recall.... :horn:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
a little off tangent...........we're so fortunate Culliver is not only panning out, but doing so quickly. you wouldn't expect a 3rd round pick to play so much and so well (relatively)in his rookie season.

immediately after the draft, did Baalke say combination CB/S or just CB?

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a little off tangent...........we're so fortunate Culliver is not only panning out, but doing so quickly. you wouldn't expect a 3rd round pick to play so much and so well (relatively)in his rookie season.

immediately after the draft, did Baalke say combination CB/S or just CB?

I don't recall Baalke taking a hard stance on that.... unlike McNolan on Reggie Smith being expected to play CB.

Culliver was a nice surprise for sure. Teams tried to go after him at times (particularly the Giants in the regular season), but he held up for the most part.
That valuable experience Culliver gained this season should pay dividends in the future.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and on the subject of TB- big fan of his. It shows how damn good he is when he is healthy for most of the season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
whether Rogers re-signs or not, maybe we can add a nickelback round 4 or 5? someone very adept at pure coverage to take on the quick, slot receiver?

granted this late in the draft we'd have to give up things in return, give up run support, good INT hands, zone, etc.. but if he can stick well mano-a-mano, and knock the ball down, thats huge.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had some major errors in man coverage, but he's done a good enough job to stay around as the number 2 or 3 corner. I have no problem with that.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen a few articles that are saying the team might be fine with letting Rogers go if he is asking for too much and rolling with Brown and Culliver. Thoughts?

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember someone saying Tarell Brown was a steal at the 5th round of the 2007 draft. It might be a little early to say that, but the only corners better than him in that draft is Revis and Eric Wright.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd prefer to keep Rogers and have Culliver still the nickel back. Plus it adds injury insurance. Can never have too many corners, look what happened to St Louis...

Brown did finally put it all together this season, good for him! Now can he improve? What's his ceiling going to be?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seen a few articles that are saying the team might be fine with letting Rogers go if he is asking for too much and rolling with Brown and Culliver. Thoughts?

yep, as in all players......at what price?

no matter how good we feel Rogers is, if he asks for too much then he's gone.

Last edited by a moderator: