• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

September callups - 2018 edition

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally, this is one of my favorite times of the year, where I look forward to top prospects getting their first cup of coffee, guys who've been roster crunched coming back up or minor league veterans playing well and getting a reward with a few weeks of big league time. However, this year, there isn't much of any in the farm system. Nevertheless, I wanted to look at who is most likely to get a call up/contract purchased in one week.

First, let's take a look at the guys on the 40 man not currently active:
Tyler Beede, rp - He's had an awful season. It started well for him, getting a crack at a big league rotation spot, but went downhill quickly from there. Lit up in the big leagues, lit up as a starter in AAA, inconsistency as a reliever and then a month long stay on the disabled list. He's thrown in 3 games for Sacramento since being activated. The first two were promising. The last one was bad. On the year, he now sports a 7.10 ERA and 1.79 WHIP in 30 AAA games (10 of them starts). In those 20 relief appearances, he has a 6.75 ERA and 1.79 WHIP. He had a 9.00 ERA in 11 July games with a 1.75 WHIP.
Ray Black, rp - I think we are all well acquainted with Mr. Black on this forum. He's made one appearance with Sacramento since his demotion, throwing 1 hit of no run baseball, giving up 1 hit and striking out 1 batter. His numbers at AAA stand at 2.78 ERA, 0.79 WHIP and 1.75 Ks per inning.
Tyler Herb, sp - Another starting pitcher named Tyler with a rather down season, Herb doesn't have Beede's pedigree, but he did pitch well last year at AA to earn a 40 man roster spot. His numbers at the beginning of the season were mixed, throwing two decent games in between two duds. Then, for two months, he was shelved with an injury. He came back in late June to pitch 4 starts in rehab with AZL Black, to a tune of 5.68 ERA and 1.34 WHIP before getting activated with Sacramento in late July. His numbers since activation have been worse. In 7 starts, he's sporting a 6.46 ERA and 1.69 WHIP. Starting pitchers named Tyler don't like the PCL.
Chase Johnson, sp - The sole name on this list not on the AAA roster, Chase has held his own at AA since coming back from a major injury (only pitching in 2 games last year at AAA) to post a 3.99 ERA and 1.31 WHIP. Not great for the Eastern League, but still better than most on the Richmond squad.
Pierce Johnson, rp - Since Pierce has been in the big leagues for two tours, he's only gotten to throw in 14 games for Sacramento. Up to his last game, his numbers at AAA were good, but two nights ago he got lit up for 3 earned runs while only getting one out, pushing his ERA to 4.08 but still carrying a good 1.13 WHIP.
Casey Kelly, sp - His numbers at AAA haven't been that great (4.78 ERA, 1.42 WHIP) but considering the other starting pitchers with Sacramento, Kelly was the best option for the Giants when they needed help in the starting rotation. His put up some solid numbers with SF before his recent demotion. He has yet to pitch since he got sent back down.
Derek Law, rp - Another guy who's been shuttled back and forth between the big league club and AAA, Law's season hasn't been that great. He's been consistently shelled with the Giants but his numbers at AAA have been a bit better. He has pitched in relief in 32 games, striking out just over 1 batter per inning while posting a 4.31 ERA and 1.08 WHIP. This could be his last chance with the big league club.
Steven Okert, rp - Oh these lefties. They are hanging on to a thread. Okert has been bombed with Sacramento - 5.14 ERA and 1.61 WHIP. Meanwhile . . .
Josh Osich, rp - Has a 5.54 ERA and 1.69 WHIP. Okert, at least, strikes out more than 1 batter an inning. The same cannot be said about Osich.
Jeff Samardzija, sp - The one guy on the 10 day disabled list, he's been rotten at the big league level and while he threw 4 good innings in a AA rehab start, there is concern he isn't ready to return (and may not this year).
Aramis Garcia, c - Since he is technically not on the big league roster, I've included him here. But he should get activated tomorrow or Monday at the latest.
Miguel Gomez, 2nd - The guy who's moved up because of his bat and not looked good at the plate this season. In between 9 games with SF, he started the year at Richmond and was slow to start at the plate, but improved to post a .313/.333/.479 slash to get a promotion to Sacramento. His slash there, however, is not very good - .287/.288/.374 in 195 at bats (no walks!).
Ryder Jones, 3rd - He got one game with SF, striking out 3 times before hitting a home run. With Sacramento, he's posted a decent .269/.322/.408 slash, good for 5 among active players on the RiverCats' roster.
Kelby Tomlinson, ss - Each year with SF, Kelby's numbers have gotten worse. He's not doing much better with Sacramento - .634 OPS in 41 games.
Mac Williamson, rf - Currently on the disabled list, possibly done for the year for concussion related symptoms, he has hit well when healthy. Only Slater and d'Arnaud has posted higher OPS than Williamson, among guys who've gotten at least 100 at-bats with the RiverCats.

There are a few guys not on the 40 man roster who are worth considering for this list:
Brock Stassi, 1st - A long shot but since the RiverCats picked him up, he's hit .485/.614/.667 in 11 games.
Chris Shaw, lf - The power hitting prospect doesn't have much in terms of on base percentage (.315) but his slugging percentage (.513) is best on the team currently.
Myles Schroder, everywhere - This more a sentimental favorite of mine. The dude gets drafted by the Giants in 2007 but doesn't debut until 2011. He's played all over the farm, while playing just about every position on the diamond. I thought he was done after last year, posting mediocre numbers for the 3rd straight year with Richmond and being a minor league free agent, but he got re-signed and assigned to Sacramento. He's faded a bit in the past month (his OPS was around .800 at one point), but he's still decent at .258/.304/.444. I'd like him to get his contract purchased just for the story.
Tyler Rogers, rp - The one Tyler who's earned his call up. He got snubbed last year, despite some good numbers. They've gotten even better this year. His ERA (2.37 to 2.25), WHIP (1.22 to 1.08) and Ks per inning (0.566 to 0.875) have all improved this year. Its time.
There are a few guys pitching well in AA (including Shaun Anderson, along with some good numbers in AAA) but I think the only one really worth mentioning is:
Dan Slania, rp - Once upon a time, he was a promising pitcher, put on the 40 man roster by the Giants, before a rough go of it in 2017 knocked him off the 40 man but stayed within the org. Stuck all season in AA (for what reason, I don't know. There were plenty of guys he could have replaced at AAA), he has pitched well there - 2.62 ERA, 1.08 WHIP.

Here are the guys I think get the call up - Black, P Johnson, Kelly, Law, Garcia (will already be up), Gomez, Jones, Tomlinson, Shaw and Rogers. That puts the roster at 34 players. The Giants can move Posey to the 60 day for Shaw. Either Samardzija gets moved as well or one of Osich or Okert get the boot to make room for Rogers.

I think that Beede, Herb, Williamson and Slania are long shot possibilities, for different reasons.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey will go to 60 to make room for Garcia. Sammy MAY go there for Rogers. Cutch will be traded, and likely free up a 40 spot. Dyson MAY be traded as well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey will go to 60 to make room for Garcia. Sammy MAY go there for Rogers. Cutch will be traded, and likely free up a 40 spot. Dyson MAY be traded as well.
Garcia is already on the 40 man roster so Posey doesn't need to be moved to the 60, yet. I get the feeling the Giants may stand pat on the trade front, if they have room for call ups within the budget. However, if they get anyone major league ready in return deals for McCutchen and Dyson, it will be interesting who they acquire.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garcia is already on the 40 man roster so Posey doesn't need to be moved to the 60, yet. I get the feeling the Giants may stand pat on the trade front, if they have room for call ups within the budget. However, if they get anyone major league ready in return deals for McCutchen and Dyson, it will be interesting who they acquire.
So he is...

Not sure why I thought he wasn’t.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won’t be competing for a few years. I would prefer lottery tickets to MLB-ready prospects. MLB-ready prospects that we would be able to get for our current inventory would be dime-a-dozen type guys.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won’t be competing for a few years. I would prefer lottery tickets to MLB-ready prospects. MLB-ready prospects that we would be able to get for our current inventory would be dime-a-dozen type guys.
You know the team won't be competing for a few years, I know the team won't be competing for a few years but does the FO know (or want to operate like they know) that the team won't be competing for a few years?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he isn't on the 40, but Shaun Anderson has had a good season between AA Richmond and AAA Sacramento. His sample size at AAA is small (40+ innings), but he has been remarkably consistent. And he's only 23 years old. I don't expect him to get a cuppa this season, but he will be at Spring Training next year. He may need one more year of AAA, but he looks very good.

Shaun Anderson Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
I expect them to shut him down rather than call him up.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know the team won't be competing for a few years, I know the team won't be competing for a few years but does the FO know (or want to operate like they know) that the team won't be competing for a few years?
I think we’ll compete next year, and I suspect the FO does too.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we’ll compete next year, and I suspect the FO does too.
It's not impossible but it's going to take some smart maneuvers and a lot of luck. I guess like it always does.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he isn't on the 40, but Shaun Anderson has had a good season between AA Richmond and AAA Sacramento. His sample size at AAA is small (40+ innings), but he has been remarkably consistent. And he's only 23 years old. I don't expect him to get a cuppa this season, but he will be at Spring Training next year. He may need one more year of AAA, but he looks very good.

Shaun Anderson Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Another solid back-end guy with some upside to be a number 3 starter if things really click.

Between him, Suarez and Rodriguez they should be in solid shape for 3-5 years. Then hopefully one of these years they get a Bum/Cain/Timmy to throw into the fold.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be close at this juncture, with Greg Santos representing the best chance. Much too early to look at the 2019 draft, but there's a pitcher out of Florida that could be intriguing for the Giants, Tyler Dyson.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another solid back-end guy with some upside to be a number 3 starter if things really click.

Between him, Suarez and Rodriguez they should be in solid shape for 3-5 years. Then hopefully one of these years they get a Bum/Cain/Timmy to throw into the fold.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be close at this juncture, with Greg Santos representing the best chance. Much too early to look at the 2019 draft, but there's a pitcher out of Florida that could be intriguing for the Giants, Tyler Dyson.
Adon has a high ceiling as well. But I am not convinced he will get anywhere close to it.

As for Tyler Dyson, I have had enough of Tyler’s and enough of Dysons.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally agree. I think SP will be ok. We'll see if my inside info of going hard after Kershaw comes to pass.