• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sydney Rice return?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard this rumor today and honestly I'd love it. Get him a cheaper contract and he immediately gives us the tall, long receiver this offense needs without the question marks that come with every draft pick.

I'm all for bringing Rice back on a cheaper contract with concessions regarding health.

What do you guys think? Just say no and go with someone new and unproven or would you like to see Rice back next year?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He injured his ACL later on in the 2013 season. That's usually a year and given his pre-existing issues with his knees, that could be much longer. If we resign him, I can't see him contributing anything till Dec or the playoffs at the earliest for 2014.

I like him out there when he's healthy, but not sure this is worth it unless the the salary is extremely reasonable and not just a waste of cap room.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He injured his ACL later on in the 2013 season. That's usually a year and given his pre-existing issues with his knees, that could be much longer. If we resign him, I can't see him contributing anything till Dec or the playoffs at the earliest for 2014.

I like him out there when he's healthy, but not sure this is worth it unless the the salary is extremely reasonable and not just a waste of cap room.
I don't know exactly the extent of his injury but let's say it was similar to Chris Clemons last year. He hurt his ACL in the playoffs last year and was able to play in 14 games last year (out of 19)

Players have been coming back from knee injuries faster lately than in the past. Rice fits a need with proven talent in the league. At what point do you draw the line and say no? If he has to miss the first 4 games of the season? Personally I'd take that scenario, with Kearse filling in rather than trying to hit a draft pick WR to fill his spot and ability.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know exactly the extent of his injury but let's say it was similar to Chris Clemons last year. He hurt his ACL in the playoffs last year and was able to play in 14 games last year (out of 19)

Players have been coming back from knee injuries faster lately than in the past. Rice fits a need with proven talent in the league. At what point do you draw the line and say no? If he has to miss the first 4 games of the season? Personally I'd take that scenario, with Kearse filling in rather than trying to hit a draft pick WR to fill his spot and ability.

I would agree with that. If he can come back by say Oct, and contribute in 2014, that would work. He's got great hands and a legit deep ball threat. But his history of knee and hip problems concerns me. The healing process could take longer, even with the technologies currently available.

But just like last year, this roster is soo deep, we can take development projects in the early rounds and groom them to be studs down the road. Most WRs in the league take time to develop. Always got to be looking toward the future.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll pass unless he agrees to a significant pay cut for a chance to make a run at another championship. I like the guy and he made some great (not to mention clutch) catches when he was healthy, but he was only able to play more than half a season once in 3 years here. With all the talk about trying to create as much cap space as possible for the guys we need to keep, how much of that cap do you really want the team to spend on guys we don't need to keep, who might not start the season on the active roster and who have as good a chance of ending a season on injured reserve as they do of ending it on the active roster?

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really all depends on what he is willing to come back for in terms of salary. Even if he isn't available early in the year, as long as they find at least a couple of other guys in the draft or the guys they have been bringing in for looks, just having him as a backup can't be bad if the price is right.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My conditions would be:
1) is he healthy? no random Switzerland trips lol
2) is the contract dirt cheap?
3) make him earn a spot on the roster, don't hand it to him.

Personally I was excited to see Kearse take the next step, I feel like bringing Rice back could hurt that a little.