• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Survivor

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if any of you have Paramount+ but if you do.

It now has all seasons of Australian survivor(best version currently) and will be adding the newest season live(starts Monday)

It also has a few South African seasons which are really solid too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It now has all seasons of Australian survivor(best version currently) and will be adding the newest season live(starts Monday)

It has pushed Australian Survivor on me for a while, but I never took the bait.

How does it differ from US Survivor? How is it the same? I am looking for a new binge, maybe this is it.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has pushed Australian Survivor on me for a while, but I never took the bait.

How does it differ from US Survivor? How is it the same? I am looking for a new binge, maybe this is it.

Basically the same show. Jonathan is a great host. You may even recognize him since hes a minor actor as well.

The main difference is basically the length(its a longer commitment). 24 players per season. Each season is 24-26 episodes and they are 50-70 minutes in length. It makes so that you learn way more about whats going on, but its definitely longer.

The challenges are typically more "strength" based consistently as well.

Otherwise, game format exact same. None of the redemption Island/Edge of Extinction shit. Each season of Aussie does have 2-3 episodes where no one gets eliminated due to some twist(scheduling purposes i guess, they are required to make certain amount of episodes).

Seasons and 2 and 4 are up there with any thing US survivor has ever done.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Russell was on S3 of Aussie and Sandra and her daughter(its a blood vs water season) will be on the new season(7) that starts on Monday.

Its probably a matter of time before they do US vs Australia for one of their seasons(dont think Probst would ever do it here).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Russell was on S3 of Aussie and Sandra and her daughter(its a blood vs water season) will be on the new season(7) that starts on Monday.

Its probably a matter of time before they do US vs Australia for one of their seasons(dont think Probst would ever do it here).
Russell Hantz did a season over there? Interesting.

Maybe I will give it a go.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Hantz did a season over there? Interesting.

Maybe I will give it a go.

Yeah his season was "Champions vs Contenders"

He was on the Champions tribe(ironic I know). They also did that theme for S4. Its a pretty good theme with the casting they get for it. Lotta olympians/professional atheltes from over there.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah his season was "Champions vs Contenders"

He was on the Champions tribe(ironic I know). They also did that theme for S4. Its a pretty good theme with the casting they get for it. Lotta olympians/professional atheltes from over there.
He should be on a bridesmaids tribe. With Paul from Big Brother

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was cruising around Hulu the other day and I clicked on some reality show contest thingie and the host was Colby Donaldson and I was wracking my brain - "Colby Donaldson, Colby Donaldson... I know that sumbech from somewhere!" It finally hit me - S2! Dang!

He was hosting a show called The Butcher on the History Channel where butchers compete in butchery things :laugh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was cruising around Hulu the other day and I clicked on some reality show contest thingie and the host was Colby Donaldson and I was wracking my brain - "Colby Donaldson, Colby Donaldson... I know that sumbech from somewhere!" It finally hit me - S2! Dang!

He was hosting a show called The Butcher on the History Channel where butchers compete in butchery things :laugh:
Wow. Colby?

He had some moderate acting work for a few years after his season, but I haven’t heard anything about him in at least 10 years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have been watching S1 over the last few days. Just about all the chicks are total smoke shows. Not sure if the current American attitude of “ugly is beautiful” has infested Australia, but it is nice to see attractive people on tv again.

And “the twist” of S1 didn’t work, imho. Too powerful. Though, with the larger cast, they were probably OK with that aspect.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been watching S1 over the last few days. Just about all the chicks are total smoke shows. Not sure if the current American attitude of “ugly is beautiful” has infested Australia, but it is nice to see attractive people on tv again.

And “the twist” of S1 didn’t work, imho. Too powerful. Though, with the larger cast, they were probably OK with that aspect

That will not change with Australia as far as the attactive people go. They definitely go heavy on it.

They cast a lot of literal "models" for a profession and most of them do not play into the stereotype. Some of the better players.

As for the twists, like I said in my first post, get used to some of those. With each season having 2-3 non elimination episodes, those by default create twists. Its OK though because as the seasons go on, it becomes well established that you need to expect them

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are familiar with the concept of “the winners edit”, S1 was quite possibly the easiest season ever to predict. Kristie was at the center of almost every single episode, and her motivations and struggles were the primary focus of all the goings on. I had it figured out after maybe 3 episodes after the merge. They kept talking about how Brooke was the mastermind, but they never SHOWED it. They just placed her on the thrown and we were just supposed to take their word for it. I knew right there she had no chance to win. The other players if note…

Matt - Always portrayed as a doofus.
Lee - Never got a lot of focus until the very end.
El - Never got a lot of focus until the very end.
Flick - Never got a lot of focus until the very end.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, after finishing S1, I have a few thoughts…

1) I don’t like Jonathan as the host. He blows up everyone’s games and reveals things he shouldn’t. He may not as dooshy as Probst, but he seems less professional. Side note…. I didn’t realize the Lapaglia clan was Australian.

2) The cast was basically beautiful, and I like that. I don’t watch TV to see my neighbor in a bikini. I want to see a tight stomach and big tits in a bikini. Thank you Australia. Throwing in a few uglies is great as well. I am a card carrying member of team ugly, and I am OK with being under-represented.

3) The story telling is 1000x better than the US version. You have a much better idea what is happening at Tribal. You understand the motivations.

4) The production value SEEMED better as well. The pictured seemed more crisp. The sound quality was solid (the whole conversation during the final immunity challenge in S1 was well captured and shown very well).

5) I needed captions on for a good bit of the season. Why can’t those damned Aussies talk normal?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more note…

6) I really dislike the opening theme song. Sounds like some homeless meth-chick talking to her shit as she drops it.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, after finishing S1, I have a few thoughts…

1) I don’t like Jonathan as the host. He blows up everyone’s games and reveals things he shouldn’t. He may not as dooshy as Probst, but he seems less professional. Side note…. I didn’t realize the Lapaglia clan was Australian.

2) The cast was basically beautiful, and I like that. I don’t watch TV to see my neighbor in a bikini. I want to see a tight stomach and big tits in a bikini. Thank you Australia. Throwing in a few uglies is great as well. I am a card carrying member of team ugly, and I am OK with being under-represented.

3) The story telling is 1000x better than the US version. You have a much better idea what is happening at Tribal. You understand the motivations.

4) The production value SEEMED better as well. The pictured seemed more crisp. The sound quality was solid (the whole conversation during the final immunity challenge in S1 was well captured and shown very well).

5) I needed captions on for a good bit of the season. Why can’t those damned Aussies talk normal?

1. I like Jonathan, you may like him more as it goes on too. Probst is clearly the best at the job but Jonathan is fun and hes got some good quips as it goes along(that may be the "unprofessional" part though ha)

3. The longer episodes are huge for the story telling. This version still definitely rides their favorites with the editing/exposure but does a much better job of still letting you know whats going on

5. The accents get easier has it goes along as well imo

S1 is probably my least favorite of the bunch so if you liked it enough, it only gets better. 2 is peak survivor.

I'll use spoiler tags even though its not really a spoiler, S5 is an All Stars season the ones from 1 who return are Lee, Brooke, Flick, Phoebe and Nick

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a few episodes into S2. I am really trying to pay attention to the “Winners Edit”, and again, it seems pretty obvious so far who the winner will end up being.

To be fair, there are about 3 or 4 players who it MIGHT be, but 1 person in particular.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a few episodes into S2. I am really trying to pay attention to the “Winners Edit”, and again, it seems pretty obvious so far who the winner will end up being.

To be fair, there are about 3 or 4 players who it MIGHT be, but 1 person in particular.
Who??

And yeah, this season has a handful that get A LOT of focus

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who??

And yeah, this season has a handful that get A LOT of focus
AK is main focus, if I am looking at the Winners Edit. By game play, he has too much of a focus on himself. Kinda like Russell Hantz.

Others who might be getting enough focus to win…

Luke - lots of focus, but not really a “WE”. He is portrayed more as a clown.
Jericho - A bit early, but the focus he has gotten has all been positive so far.
Locky - Too dominant so far. Day-1 beasts never win. But he has gotten a “WE” as well so far.
”Harry”(??) - I think I have his name wrong. The fake Yogi. He is getting a bit too much of a villains edit, though.

No woman have gotten a positive edit to this point. MAYBE Tess, but once she got off the bottom, she has not gotten any focus at all anymore.