• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl 50 in San Francisco

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw something on ESPN.com that San Francisco/Santa Clara are finalist to host Superbowl 50. Miami is in the final also, with a New State of the art Stadium I'm sure the Bay Area will get this one.

Miami Dolphins stadium deal might hinge on 2016 Super Bowl bid - ESPN

How can Miami's stadium deal hinge of Superbowl bid? Wouldn't the NFL decide on the stadium based on after it is built or at least underway? They wouldn't award it to Miami hoping that Miami gets the deal done, would they? The NFL couldn't make it conditional, could they?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can Miami's stadium deal hinge of Superbowl bid? Wouldn't the NFL decide on the stadium based on after it is built or at least underway? They wouldn't award it to Miami hoping that Miami gets the deal done, would they? The NFL couldn't make it conditional, could they?

If the deal hinges on having a SB, then (some or much) of the profits from having the SB should go to build the stadium in lieu of any public financing.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't doubt they'll get a Super Bowl here soon, but the weird thing about it is the stadium location......closer to San Jose than San Francisco, but no doubt most visitors will want to stay in SF. Not all that much to do in SJ if you're visiting for a weekend. The few hotels around Santa Clara will probably be booked months in advance.

I suppose a lot of people would take the train down from SF, but that will get crazy and crowded before and especially after the game, and taxis from the train station will be nuts. Location just not ideal for 10,000s of tourists to head to.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping SB49 would be in Santa Clara with us winning it.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt they'll get a Super Bowl here soon, but the weird thing about it is the stadium location......closer to San Jose than San Francisco, but no doubt most visitors will want to stay in SF. Not all that much to do in SJ if you're visiting for a weekend. The few hotels around Santa Clara will probably be booked months in advance.

I suppose a lot of people would take the train down from SF, but that will get crazy and crowded before and especially after the game, and taxis from the train station will be nuts. Location just not ideal for 10,000s of tourists to head to.

Yes San Jose has very little to do but I guess you haven't spent the 2 hours plus it takes to leave the parking lot in SF. There is 3 freeways, lightrail, Caltrain, and buses nearby to the new stadium. It will be cake. Hotels will be the least of anyone's worries. Santa Clara is just a town surrounded by several including San Jose. The South Bay acreage makes SF look like a matchbox. Rent a car and drive 45 minutes from SF or buy my Super Bowl ticket and I'll pick you up.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the deal hinges on having a SB, then (some or much) of the profits from having the SB should go to build the stadium in lieu of any public financing.

Ahh, thanks. So the NFL would maybe pick Miami because they are getting a new stadium and because the NFL picks Miami, they are building a new stadium. Just kidding. The deal is not whether to make the stadium as I thought earlier, but rather how much the city will give to it. Will the NFL award the SB to them in hopes that they will get the deal done with that arrangement? I'm assuming the NFL wants to show off a new stadium versus an old one. I guess it just seemed so long for us to get our new stadium that I'd be weary of things falling through.

If there's a chance that the SB will be in the old stadium in Miami due to funding problems, I don't want them to get the SB for more than just the reason of us having it. I would hate to lose out to Miami due to promised new stadium when we have one that's already being built.

They're not stupid, they'll figure things out and get assurances and all that.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Super Bowl in New Jersey suggests to me that in recent years through the "financial hard times" of most cities that the NFL has made unofficial guarantees that if they agree to build a new stadium they'll be rewarded with a Super Bowl. It's only a matter of time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was thinking the same. This would have been poetic.

We should trade our year for their year. We should do everything to win SB 50 and then trade it for SB 49. Damn the rules! I'd give them a 7th rounder.

By-the-way, thanks for changing your avatar; now it's easier to know whom I can insult, orange tulip waddler!

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hotels will be the least of anyone's worries. Santa Clara is just a town surrounded by several including San Jose

That's the thing though.......if someone is coming out here for a Super Bowl, they want to go out and do stuff for a few nights, and most would want to stay in SF for that. San Jose is alright, but doesn't really cut it, and the rest of the peninsula doesn't have much going on at all. I suppose rental cars will come into the equation, wasn't considering that.

And believe me....I've done the Stick's parking lot too many times, worst thing ever. The new stadium is a massive upgrade for any locals for sure. I've been telling people that even fans who live in SF will probably get home from the games faster once they move to Santa Clara.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing though.......if someone is coming out here for a Super Bowl, they want to go out and do stuff for a few nights, and most would want to stay in SF for that. San Jose is alright, but doesn't really cut it, and the rest of the peninsula doesn't have much going on at all. I suppose rental cars will come into the equation, wasn't considering that.

And believe me....I've done the Stick's parking lot too many times, worst thing ever. The new stadium is a massive upgrade for any locals for sure. I've been telling people that even fans who live in SF will probably get home from the games faster once they move to Santa Clara.

Palo Alto? That said, SF is the place to go, and it's not the big a road trip from the Silicon Valley to down town. 20-30 minutes on 101.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, I like PA and there are a couple nice hotels there as well, but a small fraction of the Super Bowl crowd will suffocate University Ave. Not enough there for that ravenous crowd.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I like PA and there are a couple nice hotels there as well, but a small fraction of the Super Bowl crowd will suffocate University Ave. Not enough there for that ravenous crowd.

Not that they would mind the business - but you are spot-on with that!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ravenous Raven crowd in a rematch of SB 47? (Though we should outnumber than and hopefully local fans take a chunk.)

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would be pretty surprised if the 9ers didn't win the bid for it.

Goodell has shown that he rewards new stadiums with Super Bowls which helps get other new stadiums.

It finally puts the Super Bowl back in California with an actual state of the art facility and not the dive that's Charger stadium.

And Miami and basically Florida is the most overplayed area for Super Bowls.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Miami is wishing thinking

SF Bay Area will have the Superbowl

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palo Alto? That said, SF is the place to go, and it's not the big a road trip from the Silicon Valley to down town. 20-30 minutes on 101.

Not that they would mind the business - but you are spot-on with that!

Both University Avenues of both the major schools (Cal and Stanfurd) are narrow arteries prime and ready for a blockage.

I love the bay area as a whole, but hands down, The City is the place to be. I grew up there and everytime I go back, there's always some new trend, new place, new restaurant that pops up out of nowhere.

Despite that, the idea of hanging in the city and then commuting south for a SB isn't a bad one, considering the Bay Area has been considered for the olympics in the past. Having a sizeable event such as hosting a SB would demonstrate to the IOC that the SF Bay Area can handle a major sporting event, and that with the number of venues here (HP Pavilion, AT&T, the New Memorial stadium at Cal, Stanfurd's facilities, and the new 49er stadium), the IOC should be drooling about hosting a future olympics here. :agree: