• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suns exploring trade for Pau Gasol

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns have several 1st round picks this season from other teams.....Just because it looks like they will make the playoffs doesn't mean it will be a late pick

I thought that they did, but wasn't sure - either way though - I don't want Okafor - I just want the draft picks once I know if they will be early ones or atleast have an idea. Okafor is a scrub getting 14 million a year - Way to much money for what he is doing.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get any kind of draft pick from this, then do it. If no other deal is there by the deadline, then we move him for pennies to get under the luxury tax

Exactly because at this point I don't see Gasol accepting or being offered as much as 8 to 10 million a year for a player of his caliber. Getting under the luxary tax would save them big time and keep them in a good position for years to come.

This much more likely to be the case for the Lakers now that Jim Buss and his daughter are running the show. Dr Jerry Buss had to much pride and enough money to turn down such possibilities, but this management has to answer to the other members of the family and losing the battle this year will mean winning battles for the next ten years.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont need any improvements. If we acquire this idiot I don't know what to say. We are in the middle of a 5 game win streak and we are even considering acquiring some retarded llama looking player like Gasol? WTF? I hope we make ZERO moves this whole season. Our team is set right now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns fans are being typically shortsighted on this. Please explain how a 7 footer with Pau's skillset doesn't fit your offense.

He is an excellent passer and double digit rebounder, has shooting range out to 20 feet, can score inside with either hand, is intelligent enough to have fit seamlessly into one of the more complicated offenses in basketball and has championship experience (how many titles do the Suns have again?). Pau fitting into your offense should not be a concern.

He has an expiring contract as well. If you trade for him, you get a 7 footer who can make your team more dangerous this year and can likely be re-signed for considerably less if the Suns choose to re-sign him.

Yep, clearly it would be an absolutely horrible move for the Suns.:L

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont need any improvements. If we acquire this idiot I don't know what to say. We are in the middle of a 5 game win streak and we are even considering acquiring some retarded llama looking player like Gasol? WTF? I hope we make ZERO moves this whole season. Our team is set right now.

Your team is set for a 2nd round playoff exit at best. If that satisfies you, well then, good for you. While Pau wouldn't necessarily make you a title contender, he would make you more of a threat.

Btw, this idiot has been averaging 20+ points and 10+ rebounds for the past few weeks. But hey, who needs a player that averages those kinds of numbers?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your team is set for a 2nd round playoff exit at best. If that satisfies you, well then, good for you. While Pau wouldn't necessarily make you a title contender, he would make you more of a threat.

Btw, this idiot has been averaging 20+ points and 10+ rebounds for the past few weeks. But hey, who needs a player that averages those kinds of numbers?

We don't need a player like Gasol. Our lineup has been perfectly fine this whole season. Why try to fix something that works?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need a player like Gasol. Our lineup has been perfectly fine this whole season. Why try to fix something that works?

This kind of thinking is exactly why the Suns are unlikely to ever win a championship. You are NOT a contender. You are looking at a 2nd round exit at best with your current roster.

If your goal is a championship, then your roster doesn't work. If your goal is a 2nd round playoff exit, then you're right, your roster works just fine. Pau is better and more skilled than any of your bigs. That would make your team better.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns fans are being typically shortsighted on this. Please explain how a 7 footer with Pau's skillset doesn't fit your offense.

He is an excellent passer and double digit rebounder, has shooting range out to 20 feet, can score inside with either hand, is intelligent enough to have fit seamlessly into one of the more complicated offenses in basketball and has championship experience (how many titles do the Suns have again?). Pau fitting into your offense should not be a concern.

He has an expiring contract as well. If you trade for him, you get a 7 footer who can make your team more dangerous this year and can likely be re-signed for considerably less if the Suns choose to re-sign him.

Yep, clearly it would be an absolutely horrible move for the Suns.:L

Be honest with me here... how many times have you actually watched the Suns play this year? I watch them every game and have seen Pau play for years so you can take it from me when I say this... he isn't an ideal fit for our current team.

That being said, he's a good player and would probably help out in a playoff series, but I just don't think it makes sense to risk ruining our terrific chemistry.

This group is playing well together and we aren't winning it all this year anyways, so why mess with it? Adding Pau isn't gonna make us favorites to beat the Heat or anything. Why trade away picks for a rental?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of thinking is exactly why the Suns are unlikely to ever win a championship. You are NOT a contender. You are looking at a 2nd round exit at best with your current roster.

If your goal is a championship, then your roster doesn't work. If your goal is a 2nd round playoff exit, then you're right, your roster works just fine. Pau is better and more skilled than any of your bigs. That would make your team better.

Why in the world would Gasol make any difference to that? Seriously. We run a fast tempo pace. Half the time we score Gasol would be jogging up the the court trying to catch up.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reasons he doesn't fit in:

-He needs the ball in the high post to be an effective scorer/passer. We have ONE set half-court play and do you know what it is? A slew of picks and rolls until something opens up. Usually that's our fallback if we don't get anything in transition.

-We lead the NBA in fastbreak points. Pau would slow us down a bit, he can't run the floor as well as our bigs can.

-Plumlee is averaging nearly a double-double in what's basically his rookie season and Alex Len has played well as of late now that he's finally healthy.

If we can get him for JUST Okafor, then I mean... I won't complain because he's a good player, but if we have to give up picks for him then I just don't think he's a big enough of an upgrade over what we already have to trade away future assets.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perfect! A team that wont get far in the playoffs, should make zero move.
:L

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be honest with me here... how many times have you actually watched the Suns play this year? I watch them every game and have seen Pau play for years so you can take it from me when I say this... he isn't an ideal fit for our current team.

Every time they've played the Lakers or Clippers and any time they've been on other channels. I'd say, maybe 10 -12 times. He's a much better fit for your team than you think. Your offense is very similar to the Lakers (you just have better players running it right now) and Pau is averaging 20+ points and 10+ rebounds per game in it.

That being said, he's a good player and would probably help out in a playoff series, but I just don't think it makes sense to risk ruining our terrific chemistry.

Pau is not a player that will ruin chemistry. He is a great team player. When he joined the Lakers it was right about this time of the season, they had gelled and were playing very well. Pau came in and it gave the Lakers what they needed to get to the finals.

This group is playing well together and we aren't winning it all this year anyways, so why mess with it? Adding Pau isn't gonna make us favorites to beat the Heat or anything. Why trade away picks for a rental?

Pau isn't going to make you favorites, but he will make you better. Also, he doesn't need to be a rental. If he plays well, you sign him for a couple of seasons at a reduced rate, grab a talented big or 2 in the draft and let Pau mentor them. Also, while Pau may not make you a contender this year, if you re-sign and make another solid move in the draft for FA, he can help you get there next year.

I've actually started thinking that I wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers keep Pau for a couple of seasons, grab talented big like Embiid in the draft and let Pau mentor him for a couple of seasons.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect! A team that wont get far in the playoffs, should make zero move.
:L

So we won't make it far in the playoffs because some random Lakers fan on Sportshoopla.com said so? lmao

you guys seem really eager to get rid of this "vital piece to a postseason" player....

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau isn't going to make you favorites, but he will make you better. Also, he doesn't need to be a rental. If he plays well, you sign him for a couple of seasons at a reduced rate, grab a talented big or 2 in the draft and let Pau mentor them. Also, while Pau may not make you a contender this year, if you re-sign and make another solid move in the draft for FA, he can help you get there next year.

I've actually started thinking that I wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers keep Pau for a couple of seasons, grab talented big like Embiid in the draft and let Pau mentor him for a couple of seasons.

It's obvious that these Suns fan don't know about winning. In the playoffs the game slows down & you need a post player like Gasol, he could really help them in the playoffs where the game turns more in to a half court game (Typical Idiots). Like James Worthy said fast pace offense is all good during the regular season, but it wont last long in the playoffs. Now watch these fuckers respond to my comment because they get butt hurt. :laugh3::laugh3:

Fuck the Suns!!! :finger:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world would Gasol make any difference to that? Seriously. We run a fast tempo pace. Half the time we score Gasol would be jogging up the the court trying to catch up.

Reasons he doesn't fit in:

-He needs the ball in the high post to be an effective scorer/passer. We have ONE set half-court play and do you know what it is? A slew of picks and rolls until something opens up. Usually that's our fallback if we don't get anything in transition.

-We lead the NBA in fastbreak points. Pau would slow us down a bit, he can't run the floor as well as our bigs can.

-Plumlee is averaging nearly a double-double in what's basically his rookie season and Alex Len has played well as of late now that he's finally healthy.

If we can get him for JUST Okafor, then I mean... I won't complain because he's a good player, but if we have to give up picks for him then I just don't think he's a big enough of an upgrade over what we already have to trade away future assets.

:L To answer you both at the same time. Fast break points are not scored by all 5 guys flying down the court at the same time. Fast breaks are run with 3 (maybe 4) players. Pau would give you the half court scoring/passing option that you currently lack and will desperately need in the playoffs when the game becomes more half-court.

I've seen Len and Plumlee play. I'm not impressed. Pau is better than both and both could learn a great deal from him.

You guys have something like 6 picks coming up. A first rounder and Okafor or a first and 2nd round pick would be perfectly fair and still leave you with plenty of picks.

The 80's Lakers had one of the most devastating fast breaks in NBA history. They also had Kareem who was older than Pau "jogging up the court behind them". They seemed to do pretty well in the regular season and playoffs.

Kareem gave those Lakers the ability to beat teams with the break or in the half court. Pau would do the same for the Suns.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we won't make it far in the playoffs because some random Lakers fan on Sportshoopla.com said so? lmao

you guys seem really eager to get rid of this "vital piece to a postseason" player....

No. You won't make it far in the playoffs because your team isn't built for the playoffs. It's built for the regular season.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns are just fine as is. Beating multiple Western Conference playoff teams in controlling fashion is enough for me. Not to mention we are currently in the middle of a 5 game win streak and 8-2 in our last 10 without a 18 ppg scorer in Eric Bledsoe...

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right. Trade away a draft pick for a 33 year old that we wouldn't re-sign just so we can lose a playoffs series 4-3 instead of 4-2. Sounds wonderful.

If Pau was the missing link to make us a title contender, then I'd be all over it. But he's not.