• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sunday night vs. SF

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cowboys are in for a rude awakening come this season. They think they are too good for preseason. And they look terrible.

Please explain why you feel "they think they are too good for preseason".

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo got like three plays, is what I mean. He went 3 and out too so it is not like he and the offense looked sharp.

My sense is that Dallas is going to start the season slow. The division looks weak and they should recover to be a force down the stretch. But this team does not look ready to come out of the chute at full speed right now.

I know most NFL teams suck at backup QB, also, but I think you have to be concerned about the backup QB situation in Dallas. Weeden is garbage and the young kid Dustin Vaughan is not ready, as shown last night. If Romo were to miss a game or two they would surely be losses. The dropoff is huge.

All in all, I guess I am just surprised by this. Living in Dallas, the homer media makes it sound like everything looks great in training camp. Doesn't look so great to me. The defense has improved talent and I am sure Marinelli will get that side together, but I would be worried about the offense.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some things I thought about after tonight's game:

• Special Teams looks horrible
  • No competent QB on the roster but Romo, which has been the case the entire Romo era it seems
  • Randy Gregory looks like he could be a force in the NFL
  • Run defense looks a little shaky
  • I still don't like McFadden or Randle being this team's featured backs

That has been one of my concerns coming into the year. Obviously I'm not going to let a couple of preseason games put me in a panic, but the last couple of offseasons they clearly seem to have been focusing on the pass rush aspect of the DL much more than the run stopping. When we have our starters and our starting LBs in, if we still can't stop the run I'll start to get concerned, but the DL does seem to be getting lighter every year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo got like three plays, is what I mean. He went 3 and out too so it is not like he and the offense looked sharp.

My sense is that Dallas is going to start the season slow. The division looks weak and they should recover to be a force down the stretch. But this team does not look ready to come out of the chute at full speed right now.

I know most NFL teams suck at backup QB, also, but I think you have to be concerned about the backup QB situation in Dallas. Weeden is garbage and the young kid Dustin Vaughan is not ready, as shown last night. If Romo were to miss a game or two they would surely be losses. The dropoff is huge.

All in all, I guess I am just surprised by this. Living in Dallas, the homer media makes it sound like everything looks great in training camp. Doesn't look so great to me. The defense has improved talent and I am sure Marinelli will get that side together, but I would be worried about the offense.

Romo got 3 plays because his full OL wasn't in. Just like SF did with Kap last week. You don't risk a fragile aging veteran QB in the preseason. Remember Suggs and Bradford?

They have a lot of minor injuries right now. Bad enough to keep guys out of preseason, but not likely bad enough to keep them out of regular season games. It's almost as if they didn't even start a first string team yet in preseason. There are aspects of this team I am concerned about, but I just don't care about preseason other than staying healthy and watching the young guys and guys fighting for a job.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I waited to 11 to watch the game. Stayed off the internet and didn't watch the scroll on ESpn. I wanted to see it like it was live. In other words I was a dumbass and now I'm paying for it. I think GArrett will turn it up in practice this week. He has talked soft, sloppy, lackadaisical practices. Well it has carried over. I did think the pass defense was pretty good. I liked the effort of 60 on the DLine. Coleman , I think is his name. We had him last year and he kind of disappeared. The Special teams look bad as they always do this time of year. I thought Randle looked pretty good. I loved the 3rd and 2 run. He didn't hesitate. Damn he looks small though. TWill - no show, maybe because of Qbs, who knows. Call it what you want - preseason or practice- it wasn't pretty

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was talk about him not playing at all due to the condition of the field. I thought they changed their minds at game time, but seeing he only played three plays, two handouts and one very safe pass play, shows they weren't risking it.

No, Romo, Bryant, Witten and Martin on O.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna agree w all, based on the game tonight. Should be different w other personnel on the field as far as run D. If Romo misses a game ever, you can chalk it up as a loss. As far as #5, I have thought that all along and I have little interest in other RB's cut by other teams. Trade for a decent back or the run game is gonna take a backslide. Just an opinion, crucify if you must.
I wouldn't automatically say loss without Romo. I think this defense is gonna pressure the QB and force a lot of turnovers, especially if Sean Lee is healthy. Big Rod's defense+Sean Lee's IQ+pressure on the QB+improved secondary play=many many turnovers. That alone can win a game. But in order to win games without Romo, the Special Teams must be a lot better than it has been.

I don't think we have to get trade for an RB. Just because I don't like Randle or McFadden doesn't mean this team has to have a great RB. I just think we have to use Beasley in a Welker role if we can't establish a running game. Quick short passes to him in space and let him get 4 or 5 yards. We could also use Dunbar in a Sproles type role. Many teams have been successful running offenses like this if the running game has trouble getting going. If we can get those plays to working, it will open the run game. I think this will become a big part of our offense and I expect a big breakout from Beasley and Dunbar this year. Knock on wood for health.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured there would be some over reaction going on here this morning. The Boys will be fine folks, its only preseason. We haven't really had a true starting lineup on the field yet, defense or offense. I do agree that we are screwed if Romo goes down, not impressed with either back up QB.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't even want Romo in for 3 plays. Look at the hits and injuries players are taking. If he is going to take that abuse, I want it to be in a game that matters. he will get a half to play next week, and that is all he needs.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has been one of my concerns coming into the year. Obviously I'm not going to let a couple of preseason games put me in a panic, but the last couple of offseasons they clearly seem to have been focusing on the pass rush aspect of the DL much more than the run stopping. When we have our starters and our starting LBs in, if we still can't stop the run I'll start to get concerned, but the DL does seem to be getting lighter every year.

I'm hoping the run stopping was just an issue of keeping things too simple in the preseason. If you are going to find a weakness, now is the time to do so but we got shredded last night on the run game.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys offense played without their near MVP QB(3 plays), HOF TE, top 2 WR in the game, and two All Pro linemen, so I'm not too concerned with the play, except at RB. I'm a little puckered there. Guessing Jerry is too

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness to Darren McFadden, he got a whopping two series totaling 3 carries, playing behind basically the second unit Oline going against San Fran's 1st team D. I'm sure Dallas is looking to ease McFadden into playing shape, but I was hoping to see him get a few more opportunities.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 3 is the only preseason game that I try to grade, it's the game starters play any meaningful time.

If they can't stop the run there o might be a little concerned.

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 3 is the only preseason game that I try to grade, it's the game starters play any meaningful time.

If they can't stop the run there o might be a little concerned.

If they all play it will be a little more telling than the first two games, but it still won't bother me until the games start. Even in regular season games, sometimes you do something well and then other weeks you may not. If we have trouble for 2 or 3 weeks in a row in the regular season then I'll worry. For now, it's just something I was concerned about when looking forward to the year so maybe I note it or get concerned about it more than I usually would early on.

It's like if a guy goes out and gets 4 sacks in the preseason. I'll be happy, but I'm not going to expect him to do that in the regular season until I see him do it in the real games.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you guys think of McFadden starting over Randle? That confused me as someone thinking of drafting Randle in fantasy. Are they trying to send a signal to Randle, who seems a little arrogant, that he needs to keep working?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you guys think of McFadden starting over Randle? That confused me as someone thinking of drafting Randle in fantasy. Are they trying to send a signal to Randle, who seems a little arrogant, that he needs to keep working?

Don't know. Wouldn't think too much of it unless DMac starts the next game. I think Randall was a last minute decision to play.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they all play it will be a little more telling than the first two games, but it still won't bother me until the games start. Even in regular season games, sometimes you do something well and then other weeks you may not. If we have trouble for 2 or 3 weeks in a row in the regular season then I'll worry. For now, it's just something I was concerned about when looking forward to the year so maybe I note it or get concerned about it more than I usually would early on.

It's like if a guy goes out and gets 4 sacks in the preseason. I'll be happy, but I'm not going to expect him to do that in the regular season until I see him do it in the real games.

Yes but I'd like to see the starters get a series or two before the regular season. If the are still nursing injuries I can see JG sitting them.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but I'd like to see the starters get a series or two before the regular season. If the are still nursing injuries I can see JG sitting them.

Id like to see the vets play too. I think most will play next game, but who knows.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was talk about him not playing at all due to the condition of the field. I thought they changed their minds at game time, but seeing he only played three plays, two handouts and one very safe pass play, shows they weren't risking it.

No, Romo, Bryant, Witten and Martin on O.

Plus, no Smith, Leary, Free on O. That's seven out of eleven starters who didn't play. It wasn't as many on Defensive side, but there were at least four that weren't out there.

Meanwhile, from listening to the announcers, it sounded as though San Fran's starting O played the first two series and almost all of their starting D played the first quarter. Yet, we gave up only three points.

Not concerned, except with special teams. That's the part of the game that looked atrocious, at least to me.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, no Smith, Leary, Free on O. That's seven out of eleven starters who didn't play. It wasn't as many on Defensive side, but there were at least four that weren't out there.

Meanwhile, from listening to the announcers, it sounded as though San Fran's starting O played the first two series and almost all of their starting D played the first quarter. Yet, we gave up only three points.

Not concerned, except with special teams. That's the part of the game that looked atrocious, at least to me.

The run D had me concerned a little but I knew some starters were not playing. Special teams has me worried because they didn't look good last week either and special reams are mostly backups anyway.