• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Subway Series..Yanks @ Mets (9/18-20)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK --(9/17)

FIRST PITCH: When you’re a New York Mets fan, it is never easy.

For the second straight day Wednesday, the Washington Nationals won and the Amazin’s lost. So the Mets’ lead atop the National League East has been sliced to 7½ games with 16 to play. The magic number remains at 10.

The Mets now take a day off before welcoming the New York Yankees to Queens for the weekend. The Nats begin a four-game series against the pesky Miami Marlins on Thursday.

The Subway Series matchups:

Friday: Steven Matz vs. Masahiro Tanaka, 7:10 p.m. ET (PIX11)

Saturday: Noah Syndergaard vs. Michael Pineda, 1:05 p.m. ET (Fox)

Sunday: Matt Harvey vs. CC Sabathia, 8:08 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Harvey’s start is expected to be limited to five innings or so as the Mets conserve innings.

Manager Terry Collins suggested the energy of the Subway Series could be good for the Mets to revive them after consecutive losses to the Marlins.

“We’re playing for something big. They are also,” Collins said. “It’s very similar to when we were playing the Nationals.”

THURSDAY’S NEWS REPORTS:

• Bartolo Colon surrendered solo homers to Martin Prado and JT Realmuto and Justin Bour took Tyler Clippard deep as the Marlins blanked the Mets, 6-0, Wednesday at Citi Field to win the rubber game. The Mets produced only three hits in seven innings against rookie Adam Conley. The Amazin’s were shut out for the first time since July 23, when Clayton Kershaw went the distance. That performance came immediately before Michael Conforto made his major league debut and the Mets acquired Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe, which began the team’s surge. Read game recaps in the Post, Daily News, Times, Newsday, Record and at MLB.com.

• Yoenis Cespedes tells Ken Davidoff in the Post that he initiated the contractual-language change that will allow the Mets to negotiate with him throughout the winter. “I’m actually the person who told them to change it,” Cespedes told Davidoff. “It only gave me five days for the Mets to sign me after the World Series, so I wanted it changed so that it’s not just within those five days. So even during the offseason, they can sign me if that’s what they want.”

• Matz, a Long Island native, tells Fred Kerber in the Post about pitching in the Subway Series for the first time: “You’ve just got to go out and be prepared for each week. But I would say, if there is one, this is the game you look forward to, outside of the playoffs.”

• How long will Harvey pitch against the Yankees on Sunday? "We're going to keep a very close eye on him," Collins said. "The Yankees will decide when he comes out, but it won't be real deep in the game." Read more in Newsday and at MLB.com.

• Subway Series tickets are selling for an average of $147 on the secondary market, Jared Diamond writes in the Journal.

• Tyler Kepner in the Times matches up the rotations of the Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers.

• A day after suffering a groin injury, left-hander Dario Alvarez underwent an MRI on Wednesday.

• Carlos Torres (strained left calf) has started throwing off a bullpen mound, although not at full throttle. He could be back in a major league game this weekend.

• The Mets have set their contingent for the Arizona Fall League. First-round picks Gavin Cecchini and Dominic Smith as well as infielder Jeff McNeil, right-handers Mike Hepple, Mickey Jannis, and Beck Wheeler and left-hander Kyle Regnault will represent the Mets with the Salt Lake Rafters.

• From the bloggers ... Blogging Mets says there is no reason for fans to panic. ... Mets Report was unsurprised by Cespedes getting plunked Tuesday.
BIRTHDAYS: John Franco turns 55.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning Briefing: Bring on the New York Yankees!

Adam Rubin, ESPN Staff Writer
NEW YORK --(9/18)

FIRST PITCH: The magic number is down to nine … thanks to the Miami Marlins.

While the New York Mets rested on Thursday, Miami beat the Washington Nationals, 6-4.

In addition to reducing the Mets’ magic number, the Marlins’ victory also gave the Amazin’s an eight-game lead in the National League East over the Nats with 16 games remaining.

Now, it’s time for New York, New York, as the Mets and Yankees meet at Citi Field this weekend.

Rookie left-hander Steven Matz (3-0, 1.88 ERA) opposes right-hander Masahiro Tanaka (12-6, 3.40) in Friday’s 7:10 p.m. ET opener.

Read the Subway Series preview here.

FRIDAY’S NEWS REPORTS:

• Jayson Stark at ESPN.com speaks with medical experts about Matt Harvey’s usage. The finding: There is no innings count that is considered perilous to cross.

• The Mets issued a statement to the Huffington Post saying they would stop putting two players from the visiting team on the “Kiss Cam.” Some fans found the practice homophobic. “We have, on occasion, included players from opposing teams in our popular in-game Kiss Cam feature,” the Mets wrote in the statement to the web site. “While intended to be lighthearted, we unintentionally offended some. We apologize for doing so and no longer will include players in the feature. Our organization is wholly supportive of fostering an inclusive and respectful environment at games.” Read more in the Daily News.

• Ken Davidoff in the Post blogs leftover quotes from his interview with Yoenis Cespedes. Will the Mets reach the World Series? “I’m not going to tell you that we are going to make it,” Cespedes told Davidoff. “But with the roster that we currently have and the way that we’re playing, there’s a big possibility that we will make it.”

• Christian Red in the Daily News remembers Cespedes’ awesome display for major league scouts after defecting from Cuba.

• Cespedes’ home-run trots around the bases have averaged 25.1 seconds with the Mets, the longest of any player on the team, Andrew Beaton writes in the Journal.

• Columnist Joel Sherman in the Post asserts that the Subway Series is the official passing of the torch from Alex Rodriguez to Harvey as New York’s “24-and-1” player.

• Rangers coach Alain Vigneault offered this to Pat Leonard in the Daily Newsabout the Subway Series: “I remember leaving here at the beginning of June and your baseball comrades -- experts -- were all saying the Yankees and Mets had no chance. And all of a sudden, I come back and both those teams are there. I really believe New York is real close to that famous unconditional love for both those teams.The city’s excited.”

• Anthony McCarron in the Daily News remembers 15 remarkable Subway Series moments.

• Steven Marcus in Newsday gets ex-Mets GM Steve Phillips to assess who has the Subway Series advantage position by position.

• Michael Powell in the Times notes Omar Minaya’s influence on the current Mets. Minaya now works for the player’s union.

• A September matchup with both teams trying to secure playoff berths makes this Subway Series the biggest in history, George King writes in the Post.

• Columnist Mike Vaccaro in the Post equates this year’s Subway Series with the September 1954 matchup between the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers.

• Marc Carig in Newsday suggests its will be beneficial for the Mets’ young players to compete in a highly charged Subway Series to prepare them for the playoff atmosphere.

• Dan Martin in the Post speaks with Carlos Beltran about being a rental player with the Houston Astros in 2004, just as Cespedes is this season. Beltran hit eight homers in the postseason that year, matching the major league record. “Just like me, he left the American League to a National League team,” Beltran told Martin about Cespedes. “When I got to Houston, I was wondering about what it was gonna be like playing in a different league. I learned you’ve got to be more aggressive [in the NL]. That took some time to figure out.”

• Billy Witz in the Times looks at Beltran’s contribution to the Yankees.

• MCU Park, the home of the Brooklyn Cyclones, will host a World Baseball Classic qualifier Sept. 22-25, 2016. Brazil, Great Britain, Israel and Pakistan will participate.

• After three more at-bats, Michael Conforto will not be considered a rookie in 2016.

• David Wright weighs in on the Subway Series in Newsday.

• Hitting coach Kevin Long tells Newsday that facing the Yankees this weekend is of little personal importance.

• Tyler Clippard made his major league debut on May 20, 2007, for the Yankees versus the Mets at Shea Stadium on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball. He reminisces in the Daily News.

• Anthony DiComo at MLB.com previews the Subway Series.

• Mark Simon at ESPN.com suggests Cespedes could win a Gold Glove … for his time in the American League.

• Stan Osowiecki at SABR writes the group’s official bio of Mike Piazza.

• Kevin Clark in the Journal talks about his mid-September emotions as a Mets fan. Clark adopted the Mets as his team after relocating to New York.

• From the bloggers … Faith and Fear salutes the 115 Mets from 2009 through ’14 who never got to play for a winning Mets team. … Mets Report is skeptical about Cespedes re-signing with the organization.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, it's never easy...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Familia took one off the knee, hope he's okay tomorrow.

FINALLY gets the last out with the bases loaded. Whew.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FUCK YES!!!

NEW YORK -- Start spreading the news: The New York Mets are inching closer to clinching first place in the National League East.

Lucas Duda, Daniel Murphy and Juan Uribe homered and the Mets beat theNew York Yankees 5-1 on Friday before 43,602 onlookers in the Subway Series opener at Citi Field.

The Mets (84-63) reduced their magic number to eight and maintained an eight-game lead in the National League East over the victorious Washington Nationals.

With Tyler Clippard unavailable after his back reportedly tightened pregame,Hansel Robles, Addison Reed and Jeurys Familia combined for three scoreless relief innings.

Familia, however, did have to escape a bases-loaded jam in the ninth inning that brought the tying run to the plate. He was struck below the left knee with a comebacker during the frame, but described himself as fine postgame.

Murphy’s solo homer came in the sixth against Masahiro Tanaka, providing a 2-1 lead. Uribe’s two-run, pinch-hit homer an inning later against Chasen Shreveopened a three-run cushion.

Stevie "wonder": In his first Subway Series game, rookie left-hander Steven Matz accumulated a high early pitch count -- tossing 43 through two innings. Matz (4-0) nonetheless stranded a pair of baserunners in each of the opening two frames. He ultimately completed six innings. Matz departed after Murphy’s homer staked the Mets to a 2-1 lead.

Matz became the first starting pitcher to begin his Mets career by winning his first four decisions since R.A. Dickey opened the 2010 season with a 6-0 record. According to Elias Sports Bureau research, Matz also became the first pitcher in franchise history to allow two or fewer runs in each of his first five career starts.

The lone damage against Matz came on a first-inning sacrifice fly by ex-MetChris Young.

Matz overcame a fielding letdown in his final frame. On the would-be third out of the sixth inning, Matz coaxed a grounder to shortstop from Didi Gregorius. However, Wilmer Flores took too long getting rid of the baseball and Gregorius narrowly beat the throw to first base. With runners on the corners, Matz then retired Brendan Ryan on a fielder’s choice to complete his outing.

Matz allowed one run on seven hits and a walk in a 102-pitch effort. He now has a 1.80 ERA in five career starts.

Duda day: Lucas Duda homered and doubled in his first two at-bats to break out of a rut. He had been 3-for-25 since returning from the disabled list.

Duda, who had been sidelined with a herniated disk, evened the score at 1-1 with a homer in the second inning against Tanaka. His last homer had come on Aug. 2, against Washington’s Jordan Zimmermann.

Because of the slump, manager Terry Collins indicated pregame Friday that Duda would need to produce in order to be in the lineup against left-hander CC Sabathia in Sunday’s series finale. Duda finished 2-for-4 in the series opener.

What’s next: Noah Syndergaard (8-6, 3.20 ERA) opposes right-handerMichael Pineda (10-8, 4.25) on Saturday at 1:05 p.m. ET.

Last edited:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's Go Matz!!!

NEW YORK -- New York Mets rookie left-hander Steven Matz's pitch count escalated quickly Friday night, climbing to 43 pitches after two innings and 62 after three innings. Matz ultimately grew more efficient, though. He earned the win in his Subway Series debut as the Mets beat the New York Yankees 5-1 at Citi Field.

Matz allowed one run on seven hits and a walk in six innings. He struck out four in a 102-pitch effort.

Matz (4-0, 1.80 ERA) became the first pitcher in franchise history to allow two earned runs or fewer in each of his first five career starts, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

upload_2015-9-18_22-4-9.png
Steven Matz, who pitched six innings in a win over the Yankees, became the first pitcher in Mets history to allow two earned runs or fewer in each of his first five career starts. Al Bello/Getty Images

"I settled down a little bit there, especially after the third," Matz said. "I felt more comfortable out there. So, definitely, I felt like I got stronger as the game went on. ... Sometimes I try to get a little too fine with my pitches. [Catcher] Trav [d'Arnaud] kind of talked to me about that, and [pitching coach] Dan [Warthen]. They just told me to let it go and trust what I've got."

Said David Wright: "You can tell he was a little amped up. He was throwing a little harder than normal that first inning, was a little wild."

Matz used a slider he has not previously used in games.

"I was working on it with Dan a little bit in the bullpen sessions," Matz said. "I told Trav before the game, 'If we get ahead of a hitter, just kind of show them it.' And it turned out to be working pretty well for me today. So we mixed it in a few more times."

Matz, who grew up on Long Island, said he enjoyed his first Subway Series experience.

"That was the most fans I've ever pitched in front of," Matz said. "The crowd was pretty electric. It was pretty fun.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* NEW YORK -- New York Mets setup man Tyler Clippard was unavailable during Friday's Subway Series opener because his back stiffened during his final toss of a pregame throwing session. Still, Clippard minimized the issue after the Mets' 5-1 win against the New York Yankees. Clippard said no MRI will be necessary and he should be ready to contribute Saturday.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2015-9-18_23-37-7.png

NY Mets 2nd baseman Daniel Murphy watches as he launches a solo HR in the 6th inning against Yankees starter Masahiro Tanaka in the 6th inning @ Citi Field to give the Mets a 2-1 lead....

Last edited:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ughhh.....pulled a late nighter....drank more than I shoulda... slept in...and missed the Beltran HR....

C'mon,Thor... make your pitches and hit those locations.

3-0 Yanks after 2

Good to see the Duda's bat waking up.

LGM!!!