• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stop running the ball

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say look at that beautiful forest and they say "all I can see is trees" it is best to just ignore them. :noidea:

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like starting a fight so since theres a lot of talk on here about how we need to dedicate ourselves to the run game im just going to make an anti running thread that i contribute to whenever i come across some good points.

Enjoy!

If you feel like starting a fight, let's start one! I've been a die hard Redskins fan since Eddie LeBaron was our starting QB which was probably years before you were even born. Joe Gibbs won Super Bowls by running the ball with a good offensive line which we have now. In addition to this we have been blessed by signing one of the best running backs in NFL history in Adrian Petterson and you're saying don't run the ball. Come on man, wake up and then pay attention!

I will never understand intellects!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you feel like starting a fight, let's start one! I've been a die hard Redskins fan since Eddie LeBaron was our starting QB which was probably years before you were even born. Joe Gibbs won Super Bowls by running the ball with a good offensive line which we have now. In addition to this we have been blessed by signing one of the best running backs in NFL history in Adrian Petterson and you're saying don't run the ball. Come on man, wake up and then pay attention!

1- Damn you are old.

2- The game is far different in 2018 than in 1990.

3- This isn’t one of the best RBs in league history. AP five years ago was.

4- This thread was also made far before Sunday.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh.

Teach statistics.

That's cool. I am not shocked.

I played and taught football <sigh>

I am a former electronics tech, I understand logic and math. As I keep saying I am cool with blending the two but one doesn't work without the other. Football and analytics that is … unless of course you teach statistics and are biased. :noidea:

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Damn you are old.

2- The game is far different in 2018 than in 1990.

3- This isn’t one of the best RBs in league history. AP five years ago was.

4- This thread was also made far before Sunday.

If you started this thread far before Sunday maybe you need to get yourself up-to-date!

The late and great Vince Lombardi once said "Football is a very simple game which only requires blocking and tackling." That same principle still applies in today's game Mr. Intellect.

I hope the Redskins never stop running the football!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you started this thread far before Sunday maybe you need to get yourself up-to-date!

The late and great Vince Lombardi once said "Football is a very simple game which only requires blocking and tackling." That same principle still applies in today's game Mr. Intellect.

I hope the Redskins never stop running the football!

The thread actually started on July 21...you may want to keep yourself aware.

Vince is dead, and so is his statement. It does require a bit more, but I will say those are two of the most important still today.

Translation of this entire thread for you...statistically speaking, there is no situation in football where running is better than passing.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just going to put this out there

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't teach statistics, what does he know. :crazy: <all in good fun ehb>

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well gk mostly covered this but...

The game is completely different than it was then. That said the value of the pass was likely still massively underrated at the time. But thats a whole nother argument i have enough trouble convincing you old timers it's even better now lol.

AP isn't a top 15 RB in the league right now. You've gotta really stretch the truth to even get him in the top 20 honestly.

That said whoever you think the best back in the league is...bell, gurley, who ever...their team is still better off throwing most of the time.

The data is clear. What is your counterpoint to the fact that passing is proven by the data? Do you have some study that says otherwise because I'd love to see that.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just going to put this out there

*shrug* the numbers are the numbers. The number of coaches and players who say things like that in all sports without justification is loooong.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's cool. I am not shocked.

I played and taught football <sigh>

I am a former electronics tech, I understand logic and math. As I keep saying I am cool with blending the two but one doesn't work without the other. Football and analytics that is … unless of course you teach statistics and are biased. :noidea:

I mean yea you need the football part cuz thats what we're studying. But the analytics part is HOW you should study it. Or at least where the bulk of your knowledge base should come from in terms of decision making.

Nah not a stats teacher. Just appreciative of stats. I genuinely do think it's something that's SUPER important to learn and that an alarming amount of people dont really understand though.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean yea you need the football part cuz thats what we're studying. But the analytics part is HOW you should study it. Or at least where the bulk of your knowledge base should come from in terms of decision making.

Nah not a stats teacher. Just appreciative of stats. I genuinely do think it's something that's SUPER important to learn and that an alarming amount of people dont really understand though.

There's a reason why NFL running backs value has dwindled, the rule changes favor the passing game as touching QB's have become a :nono:. Wide receivers are also off limits up to and just after they catch the ball. "Helmet to helmet contact" even when created by the ball catchers generally goes against the defensive player. "Defenseless receiver" rules are just plain stupid and assure one thing that's certain...space... between those attempting to catch the ball and those trying to stop the former from doing so.

In New England, the team has long used the running attack as a supplement to it's high powered passing game. Analytics have given rise to a new breed of head coaches prowling the sidelines, among them are Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. It's tough for me to say it, but at some point, just as my generation did to its predecessor, we give way to the generation that follows us.

While there will always be a place for the run game, that place, once filled with top salaried runners no longer exists. Road grading bodies from tackle to tackle aren't nearly as important as the same players being able to pass block effectively in today's game. The spartan game of big hits, pound and ground, where safety is not considered, is now a thing of the past. For a great number of us, there's going to be an adjustment required or like myself a need to find something else to do as the game we grew up loving evolves to near unwatchable.

Just my :2cents:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take any team , college . pro high school and have them pass 100% of the time and see what you get ? when they win championships then come out with your declarations .

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a reason why NFL running backs value has dwindled, the rule changes favor the passing game as touching QB's have become a :nono:. Wide receivers are also off limits up to and just after they catch the ball. "Helmet to helmet contact" even when created by the ball catchers generally goes against the defensive player. "Defenseless receiver" rules are just plain stupid and assure one thing that's certain...space... between those attempting to catch the ball and those trying to stop the former from doing so.

In New England, the team has long used the running attack as a supplement to it's high powered passing game. Analytics have given rise to a new breed of head coaches prowling the sidelines, among them are Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. It's tough for me to say it, but at some point, just as my generation did to its predecessor, we give way to the generation that follows us.

While there will always be a place for the run game, that place, once filled with top salaried runners no longer exists. Road grading bodies from tackle to tackle aren't nearly as important as the same players being able to pass block effectively in today's game. The spartan game of big hits, pound and ground, where safety is not considered, is now a thing of the past. For a great number of us, there's going to be an adjustment required or like myself a need to find something else to do as the game we grew up loving evolves to near unwatchable.

Just my :2cents:

Although true until the last couple of years. We are seeing contracts go back up for top notch RBs. FO types have to make sure the contracts are easy enough to get out when these guys bodies give up though.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I couldn't agree more, why hire guys with years of experience in the sport when you can hire mathematicians who have never played. :noidea:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although true until the last couple of years. We are seeing contracts go back up for top notch RBs. FO types have to make sure the contracts are easy enough to get out when these guys bodies give up though.

I won't argue with you about this, we both know that it's important to have a good running attack. BTW: you're right, salaries are going up for RB's in recent years, but that old familiar "bell cow" status that had offenses built around the Uber stud RB who's prowess set up the passing attack, is going the way of the old "alley Oop" pass play. I truly miss those times, {SIGH!!!} and for the record, you may not admit it, but my ass is getting old, and I'm going to miss HOF type RB's like:

Brown (Jim and Larry), Franco, Sayers, Payton, Simpson, Walker, Campbell, Dorsett, Bettis, Riggins, T. Thomas, J. Taylor, E. Smith, B. Sanders, L. Kelly, F. Little, F. Harris, P. Hornung, Dickerson, Dorsett, Csonka, and so many others. How lucky we were to have lived to witness this, eras long, form of great football.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't argue with you about this, we both know that it's important to have a good running attack. BTW: you're right, salaries are going up for RB's in recent years, but that old familiar "bell cow" status that had offenses built around the Uber stud RB who's prowess set up the passing attack, is going the way of the old "alley Oop" pass play. I truly miss those times, {SIGH!!!} and for the record, you may not admit it, but my ass is getting old, and I'm going to miss HOF type RB's like:

Brown (Jim and Larry), Franco, Sayers, Payton, Simpson, Walker, Campbell, Dorsett, Bettis, Riggins, T. Thomas, J. Taylor, E. Smith, B. Sanders, L. Kelly, F. Little, F. Harris, P. Hornung, Dickerson, Dorsett, Csonka, and so many others. How lucky we were to have lived to witness this, eras long, form of great football.

I have fully admitted to ehb and any others interested that the passing game is out distancing the pass game but it is still needed to help make the passing game more effective. Yes I am getting older and I do miss all those backs you mentioned but we still have backs like Bell, Gurley, AP, Hunt and a couple of others.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take any team , college . pro high school and have them pass 100% of the time and see what you get ? when they win championships then come out with your declarations .

I don't think anybody actually said passing literally every plat was the right way to proceed. That said you can't claim passing is overrrated because nobody has ever won while passing 100 percent of the time. That makes no sense.