• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stop running the ball

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more, why hire guys with years of experience in the sport when you can hire mathematicians who have never played. :noidea:

I think you have to understand the difference in the roles.

Nobodys saying football coaches should be obsolete and replaced with computers and nerds.

The coaches are super important. But they're important at what they know. They can teach how to properly block, or slide protections, or draw up plays.

But they cant effectively measure the success of those things after the fact. Thats where the nerds come in. They can look at whats happened and say hey that 1 thing you do works really well but that other really doesnt.

So the coaches who realize this and utilize analytics at every turn have a huge edge on those who dont.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have fully admitted to ehb and any others interested that the passing game is out distancing the pass game but it is still needed to help make the passing game more effective. Yes I am getting older and I do miss all those backs you mentioned but we still have backs like Bell, Gurley, AP, Hunt and a couple of others.

We do have those backs but for 1 a large part of their value comes from the passing game. A between the tackles thumper really isnt very valuable at all.

And 2 even the elite backs arent worth that much anymore. RB is just not a high value position.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody actually said passing literally every plat was the right way to proceed. That said you can't claim passing is overrrated because nobody has ever won while passing 100 percent of the time. That makes no sense.
STOP running the ball says it all . that doesnt mean part way its means stop

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STOP running the ball says it all . that doesnt mean part way its means stop

Its called tongue in cheek.

The point is that passing is clearly more effective and important and should be used much more heavily.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its called tongue in cheek.

The point is that passing is clearly more effective and important and should be used much more heavily.
yeah we saw that today vs the colts

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We probably should have run less
Based on the way we ran yesterday, you might be right. OF course then we would have had to watch another 25 passes that go 5 yards over the middle to a RB for minimal gain as the clock runs down. But I have to admit. Smith has to be the most accurate passer in the league for passes that travel between 3 and 7 yards. Everyone of them were right on the money.......

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With rule changes and accuracy of most quarterbacks in this league today, there is no doubt that teams should be passing on 80% of their plays to maximize their offensive potential.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the way we ran yesterday, you might be right. OF course then we would have had to watch another 25 passes that go 5 yards over the middle to a RB for minimal gain as the clock runs down. But I have to admit. Smith has to be the most accurate passer in the league for passes that travel between 3 and 7 yards. Everyone of them were right on the money.......

For sure, we just needed better execution period.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, we just needed better execution period.

We got better execution, the problem is, the Colts executed us!

( sorry I couldn't let it pass) Off to the corner I go!:D

th

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently our 2-1 redskins didnt get the message

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP got player of the week. He leads running backs with yards after contact which tells me the yards he's getting Kelley and Perine wouldn't be getting.

So far the trend is, when we can run the ball we win. Crazy that AP, the guy we signed right before the season might determine our season.

Smith needs a running game. I dont know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that this team will go as far as AP can take us. The defense is playing great, but we will find out what we really have on that side of the ball next Monday.

Gruden has always wanted to run, he just fell in love with a guy that couldn't (Kelley).

I really wanted to see Guice this year.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP got player of the week. He leads running backs with yards after contact which tells me the yards he's getting Kelley and Perine wouldn't be getting.

So far the trend is, when we can run the ball we win. Crazy that AP, the guy we signed right before the season might determine our season.

Smith needs a running game. I dont know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that this team will go as far as AP can take us. The defense is playing great, but we will find out what we really have on that side of the ball next Monday.

Gruden has always wanted to run, he just fell in love with a guy that couldn't (Kelley).

I really wanted to see Guice this year.

It is a team game. Always has been, always will be. This is the most the Redskins have looked like a team since 2012. Agree that it will be interesting to see Guice next year and will be interesting to see if AP can hold up for the entire year. I hope so.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's not one team in the league that doesn't benefit from being able to run the ball. It is interesting to note that the term "franchise QB" appears to mean the same thing universally for some people. For the record, it does not! All people aren't the same and neither are QB's. There are QB's who are gifted with a dynamic wherewithal and have no problem slinging the ball all over the yard, whereas another lacking the same dynamism who are just efficient within a more balanced system. Great teams are the ones who have very good football talent evaluators in place that help in building their offensive programs on the personnel that they have. Matthew Stafford has been in the league for 10 years and has a losing record...why?... well for all of the talent that they see in him, he isn't what they have tried to make him out to be...a gunslinger... he actually needs a real good ground game to be successful. Maybe they should try that instead of embracing what's failed thus far.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's not one team in the league that doesn't benefit from being able to run the ball. It is interesting to note that the term "franchise QB" appears to mean the same thing universally for some people. For the record, it does not! All people aren't the same and neither are QB's. There are QB's who are gifted with a dynamic wherewithal and have no problem slinging the ball all over the yard, whereas another lacking the same dynamism who are just efficient within a more balanced system. Great teams are the ones who have very good football talent evaluators in place that help in building their offensive programs on the personnel that they have. Matthew Stafford has been in the league for 10 years and has a losing record...why?... well for all of the talent that they see in him, he isn't what they have tried to make him out to be...a gunslinger... he actually needs a real good ground game to be successful. Maybe they should try that instead of embracing what's failed thus far.

Does the name John Elway come to mind? Didn't win it all until Denver found a running game and a defense. What about Warren Moon? HOFer, almost 50,000 yards passing and almost 300 TDs. Career record as a QB, one game over .500. Matthew Stafford is on the same trajectory as Moon. I agree that both would benefit from a good ground game and good defense because you know I always say …. it's a team game.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With rule changes and accuracy of most quarterbacks in this league today, there is no doubt that teams should be passing on 80% of thir plays to maximize their offensive potential.

Peeps running the highest scoring offenses in the NFL may disagree with you.

Top Five Scoring Offenses in NFL and only teams averaging 30+ points per game.

Kansas City Chiefs - 36.2 points per game - 138 pass att/106 runs/244 total plays - Runs ball over 43% of the time.
Los Angeles Rams - 35.0 points per game - 135 pass att/114 runs/249 total plays - Runs ball over 45% of the time.
New Orleans Saints - 34.2 points per game - 163 pass att/95 runs/258 total plays - Runs ball over 36% of the time.
Cincinnati Bengals - 31.5 points per game - 157 pass att/84 runs/241 total plays - Runs ball over 34% of the time.
Baltimore Ravens - 30.8 points per game - 175 pass att/114 runs/289 total plays - Runs ball over 39% of the time.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peeps running the highest scoring offenses in the NFL may disagree with you.

Top Five Scoring Offenses in NFL and only teams averaging 30+ points per game.

Kansas City Chiefs - 36.2 points per game - 138 pass att/106 runs/244 total plays - Runs ball over 43% of the time.
Los Angeles Rams - 35.0 points per game - 135 pass att/114 runs/249 total plays - Runs ball over 45% of the time.
New Orleans Saints - 34.2 points per game - 163 pass att/95 runs/258 total plays - Runs ball over 36% of the time.
Cincinnati Bengals - 31.5 points per game - 157 pass att/84 runs/241 total plays - Runs ball over 34% of the time.
Baltimore Ravens - 30.8 points per game - 175 pass att/114 runs/289 total plays - Runs ball over 39% of the time.
While all true, these stats may be a bit skewed in that these teams go run heavy once they are up in the game to eat up the clock. Yet another reason why a good team needs a running game.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While all true, these stats may be a bit skewed in that these teams go run heavy once they are up in the game to eat up the clock. Yet another reason why a good team needs a running game.

Not as skewed as believing every team needs to pass 4 out of every 5 plays to maximize their off firepower. .