• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stokley signing. .bump up Torrey Smith??

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Ravens signed 37 year old Stokley. Last season I was huge on Torrey Smith as his team's #2 acrosd from possession beast Boldin. My biggest knock on him this year is that the Ravens have no one to fill the possession role as both Smith and Jones are burners..and that got even worse when Pitta went down. Now, Stokley is no Bolden..but..IMHO this would help Torrey enough that I'd like to have him as one of my starting 3, whereas before I wouldve only taken him as a bench guy (but since he'll be drafted sooner than that I wouldn't have gotten him anyways..anyways)

Does this change anyone else's mind on Smith, or were ya'll good with him to begin with??

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't move the needle much for me. I figured they'd find some competent B-level guy somewhere to put in the slot.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stokely is an intelligent guy who always seems to be in the right place, but he's not enough to force defenses to change how they approach the offense, so I don't think he makes a huge difference in smith's role. I like smith, am still contemplating exactly how I think he will fare without bolden and pitta.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDM, I'm throwing some support your way for a spot in the MBBRL B league (draft next Sunday at 8pm ET).

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested if you guys want me. I'm more of a general NFL poster than a fantasy one, but I'll talk my stuff wherever a decent conversation can be had.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it doesn't make a huge difference, but if he was just on the outside of your radar, would this put him back on it? Even if ever so slightly?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Torrey has a chance for a lot of big plays - just not as many opportunities as last year. Stokely reinforces this opinion slightly. Worse for PPR, better for leagues that reward long TDs.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe knowing that stokely is pretty reliable results in flacco not needing to treat smith like boldin and bail him out. Smith isn't boldin and one of the more likely pitfalls I could see would be flacco losing a little confidence in him because he can't be his security blanket.

If stokely bonds with flacco fast and could take that part of boldin's role, maybe it takes a little pressure off smith.

I'm not sure either that possibility or stokely as a solution really impact my opinion strongly. It's going to come down to how well he performs with the defense focusing on him, and stokely doesn't affect that.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what, it's late, but I think I sounded like a retard there so I will attempt one rewrite:

Ignoring the obvious risk that he isn't good enough to be the number one threat, the next risk is that the pressure of his new role gets to him. Especially losing pitta, flacco doesn't really have a safety valve, and if this results in too many risky throws to smith, this could have a negative effect on their chemistry. It is possible stokely fills a safety valve role, and decreases the number of risky throws to smith, removing some of that risk to the chemistry between flacco and smith.

I do not think this risk is high, but it is the only thing I really could see stokely having an impact on. As such, it doesn't change my valuation, really. It comes down to whether he has the skill set to handle his new role, and the rest isn't going to matter by comparison.

Just pretend the other post doesn't exist.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not big on Torrey and Stokley doesn't change anything for me. The only Raven on my team this year will be Ray Rice from Rutgers if I'm in the right spot.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I hope no one thinks I'm advocating him as a potential stud..I'm just going as far as -before I'd cross him off the list before I sat down at the draft table..now I'll leave him on, but still not sure I want him.

TK21775

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going to type what TKO did, only Raven I want is Rice this season. I had Torrey last year and he had some great games but then disappeared in others. Now that he's the main guy I'd have to see it first although if it's deep in the draft I'd grab him for depth but I see other teams grabbing him before I'd want to.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going to type what TKO did, only Raven I want is Rice this season. I had Torrey last year and he had some great games but then disappeared in others. Now that he's the main guy I'd have to see it first although if it's deep in the draft I'd grab him for depth but I see other teams grabbing him before I'd want to.

No Pierce love? He could be on the field a lot more this year. We may even see some sets with Pierce and Rice together. Fun stuff.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierce is already banged up, but I suppose he's one of the handcuffs I would actually want too...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well add Dallas Clark to the team. It ain't much, but at least Newsome is trying.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasnt surprosed by the clark signing they needed a body in there.. i do not think stokes will help smith out much.. the problem is .. i like T smith.. dude just goes out and plays and doesnt seem to complain about his role.. doesnt make him a great FF guy but still like his character.. maybe as a late wr2 or wr3 .. more of the ground and pound this year.. rice will get a lot of carries..

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like adding Dallas Clark more than adding stokely. I don't think either significantly impact his value, though.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with JDM - Smith needs to show he can run a full route tree for a WR1, and not just the deep balls for me to condsider him higher than a borderline WR2/3. Doesnt matter who they add, the best defender in the secondary more than likely will be on Smith, every game. Can he still get separation? Does he even need to, or can Flacco just bomb it out down field all day? Should be interesting with old ass Stokely/Clark the default 'possession' receivers on the team.