• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Spurrier calls it the "Saban Rule"

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In early December, Saban made his home visit with Clowney. The town was abuzz, with vehicles slowly streaming by Clowney’s mother’s house in hopes of catching a glimpse of the legendary coach. Inside, Clowney wasn’t that impressed.

“I don’t see no big deal like everybody else,” he said later. “They’d say, ‘He’s the king of all of football.’ The guy ain’t nothing but 5-5. He’s a short guy. Everybody’s going crazy on Nick Saban.”

During the visit, Saban touted Alabama’s graduation rate, its success in sending players to the NFL and playing Clowney at both defensive end and outside linebacker. Clowney and his family could hardly get a word in.

“Nick Saban’s going to take over and talk,” Clowney said. “He talked the whole time he was there. I was dozing off. He can talk. A lot. He talked for a whole straight hour.”

How many #1 classes has Saban signed and how big a bust was Clowney? Tons of talent but never lived up to the hype! Kind of shows you the kind of kid he was. You're trying to use it to slam Saban but it really shows the lack of class Clowney has. 18 yo kid talking like that about a coach? Seriously! Any coach!!! Continue...

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm telling you 100% guaranteed they asked Saban and he turned them down and finally accepted. I don't care how Redding worded it in the article. People say one thing all the time and mean it another. Here is an excerpt I found but can't find the entire article:

collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/.../its-about-time-steve-spurrier-sounde...‎
4 days ago - Saban was on hand for the Football Rules Committee meeting that led to .... but they kept asking and he finally agreed to come speak to them.

I also found an article that said Saban had not made any public comments about his position or the meeting which makes me wonder how so many of you have all these conclusions. No more than everyone else I guess? :noidea:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if it really were as simple as he was asked a question and he answered it with "I think we need to have a conversation about it" as some Bammers claim, it wouldn't even be an issue.

But clearly, it isn't that simple.

If it was anyone else it wouldn't! It's Nick Saban! All of this has just shown what trash journalism we have to put up with these days and not just on this!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many #1 classes has Saban signed and how big a bust was Clowney? Tons of talent but never lived up to the hype! Kind of shows you the kind of kid he was. You're trying to use it to slam Saban but it really shows the lack of class Clowney has. 18 yo kid talking like that about a coach? Seriously! Any coach!!! Continue...

This is why your threads get sent to the toilet bowl.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it might have to do with the fact 9 out of 10 posts have attacked our coach? :noidea:

This is where all your arguments lose me! He did not say he wanted a change(safety and defense). He said we might want to look at this closer! Wow! Again, yall have taken facts and twisted them to fit anything you've wanted to say. HE WAS ASKED TO TALK TO THE COMMITTEE! Were any of you in the room? You can assume and assume and assume but you have no evidence other than him answering a question posed at a press conference about looking at HUNH and the fact he was at the meeting. That is all and from that comes this thread. Like I said before, it says much more about yall than him! :whistle:

Ok. Sooo....only bama fans support an idioc proposal because people pick on saban...mmmmkayyy

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why your threads get sent to the toilet bowl.

Originally Posted by BamaTee1 View Post

I see, Alabama fans should take post after post personally attacking our coach for 60 pages and one little thing said about one of South Carolina players and you whine like a baby and think I should go to the TB? :omg: :wtf2: And that's after you post something by Clowney disrespecting the hell out of an adult and coach who has earned respect. Clowney should keep his big mouth shut, like it or not!

If the TB is about trolling the majority of these posts, and this thread, should be sent there, including you!

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Sooo....only bama fans support an idioc proposal because people pick on saban...mmmmkayyy

There are two conversations going on in here and I blame the lack of listening or reading comprehension as the culprit. Most Alabama fans have defended their coach, naturally! They agree it should be looked at. They don't neccessarily agree with the reason. I have stated my position. I like it for the defensive purposes. I really don't think it's a safety issue and I also don't like the way they're going about it. I prefer they add a timeout to the first half and unused one's can carry over than run 10 seconds off before snap.

The other conversation taking place is acting like Saban said I want this rule because I need it to win. This side has done nothing but attack him and assumed the majority of their comments! I believe you are on this side?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you 100% guaranteed they asked Saban and he turned them down and finally accepted. I don't care how Redding worded it in the article. People say one thing all the time and mean it another. Here is an excerpt I found but can't find the entire article:

collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/.../its-about-time-steve-spurrier-sounde...‎
4 days ago - Saban was on hand for the Football Rules Committee meeting that led to .... but they kept asking and he finally agreed to come speak to them.

I also found an article that said Saban had not made any public comments about his position or the meeting which makes me wonder how so many of you have all these conclusions. No more than everyone else I guess? :noidea:

I read the article that you quoted (and the one's that were kinked in that article) and can't find the quote that is bolded.

Where in the article does it say that "they kept asking and he finally agreed to come speak to them"? I have yet to see that anywhere. Everything that I've read says that Saban asked to speak to the committee.

It?s about time Steve Spurrier sounded off on ?The Saban Rule? | CollegeFootballTalk

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only imagine Gumpbino's reaction if it was Urban Meyer instead of Saban who supported this rule change.

It would certainly be a lot different tune than he is singing now. :lol:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bust? He's a consensus top 5 pick and a strong candidate for #1 overall.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bust? He's a consensus top 5 pick and a strong candidate for #1 overall.

All on potential! He still was not what he was advertised to be. He had a signature hit that did wonders for his reputation. He is damn good though and 80% of Clowney is probably better than 100% of most others. Bust was probably a bad choice of words but he did not live up to expectations and to say what he said about Saban is just what I've been saying in here. It says more about him than it does Saban! MY question would be what was Huwaryu_in_exile's point? Just to quote where a disrespectful punk criticized Saban? :noidea:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a right to his opinion. If Saban is as smart as you're acting like, he's fine hearing that because it will give him something to correct.

Clowney owes your coach nothing. Acting like he does is as stupid as supporting this joke of a rule proposal.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a right to his opinion. If Saban is as smart as you're acting like, he's fine hearing that because it will give him something to correct.

Clowney owes your coach nothing. Acting like he does is as stupid as supporting this joke of a rule proposal.

Don't know if you have kids or not but I promise my son aint talking about a coach in the media like that. It will be the last time! You want to take that position? Then tell him to call Saban like a man and tell him. That might be the worst excuse for behavior I've read in a long time!

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Coach Stoops agrees with me. It is all about Saban wanting an advantage he shouldn't get especially if he could coach.

“So many of those particulars don't make sense,” OU coach Bob Stoops said. “On top of the fact that there's no statistical evidence whatsoever that shows it's not as safe as those who huddle.

“I believe it is for more strategical purposes than anything.”

“The bottom line, some coaches want to have the ability to have specific personnel on every down and distance,” Stoops said. “But if you get caught with your third-down defense, and they get the first down, sometimes they're not capable of handling what you might do on first or second down.

“If the offense can manage down and distance without substitution, the defense ought to be able to do the same thing.”

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread jumped the shark.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Coach Stoops agrees with me. It is all about Saban wanting an advantage he shouldn't get especially if he could coach.

This is exactly what we have been saying the real purpose of the rule is:
“The bottom line, some coaches want to have the ability to have specific personnel on every down and distance,” Stoops said. “But if you get caught with your third-down defense, and they get the first down, sometimes they're not capable of handling what you might do on first or second down.

“If the offense can manage down and distance without substitution, the defense ought to be able to do the same thing.”
It's to save the coach and DC from getting stuck with the wrong personnel on the field. If the offense can adjust to the new down with the same people...the defense should as well.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if you have kids or not but I promise my son aint talking about a coach in the media like that. It will be the last time! You want to take that position? Then tell him to call Saban like a man and tell him. That might be the worst excuse for behavior I've read in a long time!

Why? He doesn't have to like your coach. He has every right to say why he didn't go to your shitty school. Get the fuck over it.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? He doesn't have to like your coach. He has every right to say why he didn't go to your shitty school. Get the fuck over it.

I can respect a poster as long as they come correct and not disrespect an institution by calling it a shitty school, once you start doing that you lose all respect and credibility as a poster from then on with me. I dont go around calling anyone's , least of all your school(if you even attended one), a shitty school and I will ask that you refrain from this practice of my Alma Mater. I notice you are not proud enough to post one in the college ranks, which lends to my thoughts that maybe you are unaffiliated and a non graduate of a (shitty school) of any type. As long as you dont make it personal, it wont get that way, but please act like you have some sense and dont bad mouth an institution of higher learning like Alabama.

As for Clowney and his comments, what can you expect from a player who sold out his school on his final year and mailed in his season to keep from getting hurt. He will be the type of player in the NFL that takes downs off when you most need him and as far as I am concerned, he will never be as great on the field as he thinks he is.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was directed at the idiot, not the school.