• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STEELERS MEDIA THREAD PART 2

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. But they need to resign Willie Gay first. Since they didn't eagerly pursue Brice McCain outside of showing interest by contacting his agent, I'm guessing that is the plan. The real question is, will Boykin be open to returning? He got treated like an outcast for the better part of the season. He wants to be treated like a CB1 or CB2, and he was a CB4 here until the latter part of the season. He seems to be in good spirits about it though, judging by his social media. He was quoted saying things like "it was a great learning year" & "appreciated everything they did for me", etc etc. Hopefully they can hammer out Gay's deal and then throw an offer at Boykin before its too late.

IDT so...too many teams need slot CBs and will pay more than what makes sense in PIT given they want Golson for that role...if they thought he could play outside...no question....I expect/hope the next signing to be Gay.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. But they need to resign Willie Gay first. Since they didn't eagerly pursue Brice McCain outside of showing interest by contacting his agent, I'm guessing that is the plan. The real question is, will Boykin be open to returning? He got treated like an outcast for the better part of the season. He wants to be treated like a CB1 or CB2, and he was a CB4 here until the latter part of the season. He seems to be in good spirits about it though, judging by his social media. He was quoted saying things like "it was a great learning year" & "appreciated everything they did for me", etc etc. Hopefully they can hammer out Gay's deal and then throw an offer at Boykin before its too late.

Not real excited with you saying they want him.......

I know he is solid for the position, but he's getting the years put on

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDT so...too many teams need slot CBs and will pay more than what makes sense in PIT given they want Golson for that role...if they thought he could play outside...no question....I expect/hope the next signing to be Gay.

Not real excited with you saying they want him.......

I know he is solid for the position, but he's getting the years put on
I agree. They have a pretty big need for Golson to start this year. And will he be the shining star they expect him to be? That's a lot of risk to ride on essentially a rookie that was projected to be a 3rd Rd pick. He's talented, but far from experienced. He's had a year to watch from the outside looking in, but will he be able to adjust to NFL speed right out the gate? That's an extremely difficult thing for a DB to do.

Lot's of what-ifs to account for. But if they do resign Gay (which they will), then the Boykin deal doesn't look as appealing considering the cap numbers. Boykin would be a luxury if they resigned him. With Golson projected as the slot starter, they are essentially only looking to replace 1 guy (Blake). And considering how vested they seem to be in CB prospects this month, a draft pick or 2 are in the works.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. They have a pretty big need for Golson to start this year. And will he be the shining star they expect him to be? That's a lot of risk to ride on essentially a rookie that was projected to be a 3rd Rd pick. He's talented, but far from experienced. He's had a year to watch from the outside looking in, but will he be able to adjust to NFL speed right out the gate? That's an extremely difficult thing for a DB to do.

Lot's of what-ifs to account for. But if they do resign Gay (which they will), then the Boykin deal doesn't look as appealing considering the cap numbers. Boykin would be a luxury if they resigned him. With Golson projected as the slot starter, they are essentially only looking to replace 1 guy (Blake). And considering how vested they seem to be in CB prospects this month, a draft pick or 2 are in the works.

Golson...there's some risk there. I think they saw enough in camp to think he would get snaps as a rookie. But, he didn't get those snaps.

Gay...at this point, he's the most critical signing of the offseason. I really think if they ink him to a 3+ yr deal, they will not go CB @ 25 unless he happens to be BPA....that could happen the way Apple and Jackson3 have jumped up the board.

I'm still thinking an Artie Burns at 78 is more like the Steelers of late, but we'll see.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golson...there's some risk there. I think they saw enough in camp to think he would get snaps as a rookie. But, he didn't get those snaps.

Gay...at this point, he's the most critical signing of the offseason. I really think if they ink him to a 3+ yr deal, they will not go CB @ 25 unless he happens to be BPA....that could happen the way Apple and Jackson3 have jumped up the board.

I'm still thinking an Artie Burns at 78 is more like the Steelers of late, but we'll see.
Gay. Definitely high priority. I only said I hope they sign Boykin because it would be a good upgrade to the rotation. And only if they can fit it under the cap at a reasonable number. The thought of Gay, Cockrell, Golson, Grant, Boykin & a 2nd/3rd Rd draft pick all in the rotation would be a pretty decent upgrade and a very solid unit. We still don't know for sure what the plan is for Grant, but after the Golden signing the transition to S doesn't seem very necessary. Without Boykin in that picture it could present questions.

Draft. Yep I think its definitely only if BPA permits for the 1st Rd. They met with 2 first round projected CB's during the combine (Apple & Alexander).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gay. Definitely high priority. I only said I hope they sign Boykin because it would be a good upgrade to the rotation. And only if they can fit it under the cap at a reasonable number. The thought of Gay, Cockrell, Golson, Grant, Boykin & a 2nd/3rd Rd draft pick all in the rotation would be a pretty decent upgrade and a very solid unit. We still don't know for sure what the plan is for Grant, but after the Golden signing the transition to S doesn't seem very necessary. Without Boykin in that picture it could present questions.

Draft. Yep I think its definitely only if BPA permits for the 1st Rd. They met with 2 first round projected CB's during the combine (Apple & Alexander).

Boykin...he may not break the bank with a Janoris Jenkins type deal, but I can see several teams pushing his avg CH up to $3+mil per easy.

Grant...it sounds like this is a transition to stick type move. Maybe they don't see him as an NFL CB. I think they will still give this change over effort a go, but it won't effect the draft plans.

Draft...as we get into FA this week, our draft plans should be a little more clear. I'm still wide open (OG, DE, LB, CB), but the general theme is still CB on many mocks. I would like to think Jackson3 will be brought into PIT considering they've already met with Apple & Alexander.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boykin...he may not break the bank with a Janoris Jenkins type deal, but I can see several teams pushing his avg CH up to $3+mil per easy.

Grant...it sounds like this is a transition to stick type move. Maybe they don't see him as an NFL CB. I think they will still give this change over effort a go, but it won't effect the draft plans.

Draft...as we get into FA this week, our draft plans should be a little more clear. I'm still wide open (OG, DE, LB, CB), but the general theme is still CB on many mocks. I would like to think Jackson3 will be brought into PIT considering they've already met with Apple & Alexander.
Good points, as usual! :suds:

Grant... Do you still see a S being taken in the draft? If so, would they really want to transition Grant after that? They carried 3 capably starters LY (Mitchell, Allen, Golden) and 2 STers (Thomas, Ventrone) at the position. 1 of those STers is expendable depending on roster needs. But considering they have Mitchell, Golden, Thomas & Ventrone already UC... A draft pick would fill out the roster. Positional flexibility is a huge plus, so I could see the benefits to giving the experiment a try.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points, as usual! :suds:

Grant... Do you still see a S being taken in the draft? If so, would they really want to transition Grant after that? They carried 3 capably starters LY (Mitchell, Allen, Golden) and 2 STers (Thomas, Ventrone) at the position. 1 of those STers is expendable depending on roster needs. But considering they have Mitchell, Golden, Thomas & Ventrone already UC... A draft pick would fill out the roster. Positional flexibility is a huge plus, so I could see the benefits to giving the experiment a try.

S...right now Thomas, and Ventrone are STers as you mentioned, neither is likely to get many snaps on DEF. Golden and Mitchell are the starters...a rookie or Grant is probably the next guy up...even if Grant is being transitioned, it makes sense to draft a player with experience at the position.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S...right now Thomas, and Ventrone are STers as you mentioned, neither is likely to get many snaps on DEF. Golden and Mitchell are the starters...a rookie or Grant is probably the next guy up...even if Grant is being transitioned, it makes sense to draft a player with experience at the position.
As you mentioned, it really just depends on how FA & the draft go. Pretty difficult to speculate on the depth chart at this point in time.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down and dirty of the key remaining FAs, who stays, who goes iyo?

DHB
Beachum
Adams
Blake
Boykins
Gay
Foster
Steve McL
Spence
I think the only 2 that I have the most confidence in staying are Gay & Foster. The rest are completely up for debate. I like DHB & Spence's chances of staying though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only 2 that I have the most confidence in staying are Gay & Foster. The rest are completely up for debate. I like DHB & Spence's chances of staying though.

Gay...no brainer, I think 3/20mil/$10G, or something like that is fair...I don't expect the open market to jump on him too strong, but I think they have to be fairly aggressive with this offer.

Foster...I'm not sure really...not elite, but he could have suitors...fits a power or ZBS scheme. I'm guessing he gets an offer, but with Pouncey, Gilbert, and DeCastro taking up a lot of cap...can they add another $5 mil+ per OL?...if DeCastro gets extended to drop his $8 mil '16 CH...I can see them having the room to pay Foster.

Spence...one of these guys that I don't have a great feel for on the open market...my gut says he's a rotation guy, that's his top side and they figure a way to get him another 3 yr deal.

Everybody else...50/50 or less in most cases.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gay...no brainer, I think 3/20mil/$10G, or something like that is fair...I don't expect the open market to jump on him too strong, but I think they have to be fairly aggressive with this offer.

Foster...I'm not sure really...not elite, but he could have suitors...fits a power or ZBS scheme. I'm guessing he gets an offer, but with Pouncey, Gilbert, and DeCastro taking up a lot of cap...can they add another $5 mil+ per OL?...if DeCastro gets extended to drop his $8 mil '16 CH...I can see them having the room to pay Foster.

Spence...one of these guys that I don't have a great feel for on the open market...my gut says he's a rotation guy, that's his top side and they figure a way to get him another 3 yr deal.

Everybody else...50/50 or less in most cases.
Foster... IMO they should want to keep this unit intact. Dropping DeCastro's CH is a no brainer. We know Beach is set to test the open market. Outside of him possibly leaving, I don't imagine Colbert, Tomlin & Munchak want to lose any more cohesiveness that they have spent a lot of time & money investing in already. They met with Beach's agent at the combine so they seem interested in trying every angle to keep the unit together.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foster... IMO they should want to keep this unit intact. Dropping DeCastro's CH is a no brainer. We know Beach is set to test the open market. Outside of him possibly leaving, I don't imagine Colbert, Tomlin & Munchak want to lose any more cohesiveness that they have spent a lot of time & money investing in already. They met with Beach's agent at the combine so they seem interested in trying every angle to keep the unit together.

Another one they probably can't low ball...I'd like to see him playing around $3-4 mil per, (dbl his '15 CH) but I'm not sure that will be enough.

I agree they should want to maintain the continuity...I'm looking to hear news on some type extension or restructure with Timmons and DeCastro...releasing C.Allen and they did save some cash with Heath retiring.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3