• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STEELERS MEDIA THREAD PART 2

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10487408_724346234270113_8780770241333192201_n.jpg

HA! Yes, that is perfect!!! :lol:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Da Beard is back in town!
Steelers sign DE Brett Keisel - Behind the Steel Curtain

Bringing back Brett Keisel right call by Steelers - ESPN

This is a curious move at this point in time… Hard to argue with the simple fact that it certainly improves the question marks on the D-line. There is quite the group of young talent, all worthy of development. But there is a fine line when talking about winning now vs. winner down the road. I don't believe that bringing Keisel back says anything about Tuitt. A lot of people are saying this move shows that Tuitt is not ready, but I'm not buying it. Tuitt is definitely the future, and his progress will be helped out tremendously with Keisel in the fold. Don't forget that this IS the Steeler way, to bring along a young talent by way of limited exposure. This move likely puts the last D-lineman spot into a 4-way battle between Williams, Arnfelt, Mauro & Fangupo/McCullers. All are PS eligible, but not likely to clear waivers when Steelers-West (aka Arizona) are always foaming at the mouth for PIT's leftovers. Hell they even picked up and made a starter out of Ta'amu… Bold

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Steelers-West passes on them Steelers-North (Buffalo) will grab them.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Brett Keisel took a jet Tuesday to Arizona to apparently sign with the Cardinals, but, after landing at the airport in Phoenix, he was informed the Steelers wanted him for one more season.

The 12-year veteran defensive end hopped back on a plane and will sign a contract to play his 13th NFL season with the Steelers, who drafted him in 2002.

“I am very excited to finish what I started in 2002 with the Steelers,” Keisel wrote on Twitter. “Time to get to work.”

Keisel, who turns 36 next month, became an unrestricted free agent in March, and the Steelers made him no offers until now. He will rejoin a defense that has undergone a youth movement, but one that has not quite gained the coaches’ confidence in the defensive line. They signed veteran Cam Thomas from San Diego in free agency as a nose tackle/end and drafted end Stephon Tuitt in the second round.

How they use Keisel is the next question. Cam Heyward moved in at right defensive end, where Keisel started the past eight seasons. Thomas has been starting at left end with Tuitt pushing him for that job. It’s possible Heyward will move to the left side and Keisel would reclaim his job on the right.

Eric Metz, a Monroeville native who is Keisel’s agent, declared in the spring his client was not interested in playing for minimum wage, which for him would be slightly more than $1 million. The Steelers and Metz still were working on financial details of the contract Tuesday night.

Keisel started 12 games last season and 110 in his career. Drafted in the seventh round from BYU in 2002, he cut his teeth as a good special-teams player and waited four years before he became a starting defensive end.

He was an every-down player most of his career, although that likely will not continue in 2014.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Da Beard is back in town!
Steelers sign DE Brett Keisel - Behind the Steel Curtain

Bringing back Brett Keisel right call by Steelers - ESPN

This is a curious move at this point in time… Hard to argue with the simple fact that it certainly improves the question marks on the D-line. There is quite the group of young talent, all worthy of development. But there is a fine line when talking about winning now vs. winner down the road. I don't believe that bringing Keisel back says anything about Tuitt. A lot of people are saying this move shows that Tuitt is not ready, but I'm not buying it. Tuitt is definitely the future, and his progress will be helped out tremendously with Keisel in the fold. Don't forget that this IS the Steeler way, to bring along a young talent by way of limited exposure. This move likely puts the last D-lineman spot into a 4-way battle between Williams, Arnfelt, Mauro & Fangupo/McCullers. All are PS eligible, but not likely to clear waivers when Steelers-West (aka Arizona) are always foaming at the mouth for PIT's leftovers. Hell they even picked up and made a starter out of Ta'amu… Bold

Hadn't been in this folder in sometime but I knew you'd be on top of it.

I think you know I've been supportive of the youth movement and wasn't keen on bringing Brett (or JH) back. My take on it is the FO feels like this team has a good chance to make a run in the playoffs and blending some experience on the DL will help this team come crunch time....who goes, or who stays I'm going rely on your local knowledge...most of the talk I've heard down here is McCullers is going to make the 53, but might not be an active guy week in week out.

My fear is I know how much Tomlin loves to rely on vets, but I see Keisel being rotation guy...probably on his familiar right side, and some spot duty on the left side but we'll have to see how that shakes out....Tuitt will get plenty of snaps I think.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as far as camp goes, mixed with the LATE signing of Keisel… Thomas & Tuitt are the definitive starters at this point. Tuitt is likely to see most of the nickel package work since he is more explosive & quicker off the ball. Thomas' starting duties were going to give way to Tuitt getting all the snaps at some point, it is inevitable. Once Tuitt shows that he can handle the game speed & assignments, then he will be the starter from that point on. Keisel make things a little bit cloudier. I've been hearing a lot of talk on the radio that this move demotes Thomas to backup NT duties. Which means Keisel would assume starting duties until Tuitt was ready. But I'm not quite sure yet. If only Keisel was signed during TC I could have seen assigned snap counts which could have told more to the story. But as of right now… Keisel isn't much more than a backup. We will have to wait and see… I'll keep my ear to the ground and provide any updates as they come.

McCullers… There's no chance that the Steelers would risk losing this size of talent. Or is it size AND talent? lol . I predict he makes the 53 but like you said, he isn't going to dress much at all.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Keisel isn't coming back to coach - Behind the Steel Curtain

After that awful performance in PG3, PIT could definitely use a guy like Keisel in the locker room. He's a great leader! I hope the boys bounce back and learn from this. It will be worrisome heading into week 1 because we aren't likely going to see the starters against Carolina in PG4. So us fans have to basically pray that they got things figured out. I don't know if I can take the hit of losing to the Brownies in week 1!!!! Highly doubtful, but worrisome to say the least. I expect a big turnaround though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sure as hell hope its not another 8-8 season… One would be able to call us the Cowboys of the AFC. But after the last game they look worse than a .500 team. They'll bounce back. I'm still sticking with my prediction of a 10-win season. Not sure where they will land in the division, but I think they will make the playoffs so they will likely be #1 or 2 in the AFCN. The AFC is very wide open outside of 2-3 teams, so anything can happen.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen...they had to get this done...no way they could develop Lewis & Allen and lose both...I'm not that concerned about Ben's deal...needed to get some of these smaller deals inked.

I think he's every bit the CB that Lewis is...but he to stay healthy...now they've got to find his new outside partner once this season is up as Ike is playing out his last year imo. FWIW...I don't think that guy is on the roster or PS right.