• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STEELERS MEDIA THREAD PART 2

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DP just picked the Steelers to lose to the Packers in the Superbowl. I wonder if the secondary will be able to keep it together that long.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DP just picked the Steelers to lose to the Packers in the Superbowl. I wonder if the secondary will be able to keep it together that long.
So do most Steeler fans.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do most Steeler fans.
I think its going to be a game of musical chairs in the secondary. We'll probably see a heavy dose of Sean Davis in nickel packages (slot CB) with Cockrell & Gay on the outside. If they can get Artie Burns to contribute 20-30 snaps a game as well, then I think they will be in good shape. Once Golson gets healthy that could provide a huge boost both contributions & depth. Gilbert probably wont factor in outside of ST (gunner & possibly returner) unless injuries occur. That should take the pressure off Gilbert and give him the room to grow. Hopefully that will be what he needs to get his head on straight.

Secondary is still a big question mark. But a lot of it revolves around the chemistry between Mitchell & Golden. If those 2 are communicating well, then I think it will take some of the pressure off the CBs. We should see some improvements, but I'm not expecting leaps & bounds just yet.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its going to be a game of musical chairs in the secondary. We'll probably see a heavy dose of Sean Davis in nickel packages (slot CB) with Cockrell & Gay on the outside. If they can get Artie Burns to contribute 20-30 snaps a game as well, then I think they will be in good shape. Once Golson gets healthy that could provide a huge boost both contributions & depth. Gilbert probably wont factor in outside of ST (gunner & possibly returner) unless injuries occur. That should take the pressure off Gilbert and give him the room to grow. Hopefully that will be what he needs to get his head on straight.

Secondary is still a big question mark. But a lot of it revolves around the chemistry between Mitchell & Golden. If those 2 are communicating well, then I think it will take some of the pressure off the CBs. We should see some improvements, but I'm not expecting leaps & bounds just yet.
Agree. An unknown factor at this point to me is what affect the loss of Dupree and the DL injuries have on the pass rush. If the front 7 can't generate consistent pressure that secondary will be hung out to dry at some point, not that everybody doesn't already know this.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. An unknown factor at this point to me is what affect the loss of Dupree and the DL injuries have on the pass rush. If the front 7 can't generate consistent pressure that secondary will be hung out to dry at some point, not that everybody doesn't already know this.
I said it to someone before, but the loss of Dupree might not be as bad as we think. Clearly this is comin from the optimist inside me lol. But considering that Dupree only started 5 games last season and logged just over 50% of all defensive snaps, I'm not very worried. Here's a look at the snap totals breakdown of our OLB's last season:

Bud Dupree 563 - 50.77%
James Harrison 611 - 55.09%
Arthur Moats 554 - 49.95%
Jarvis Jones 455 - 41.03%

Even as a "starter" Dupree never logged more than 52 snaps in a game. This is just an elaborate way of sayin Butlers rotated his OLB's in a committee approach. If they can get Chickillo to contribute at the very least 40% (~400 snaps) then I guarantee Moats can handle 55%, while JJ helps out occasionally. Don't forget that Shazier even logged snaps on the outside, even generated a sack against SF last season doing so. I think that will be the plan for this group. A heavy rotation. Clearly this all really hinges on what they can get from Chickillo. If he doesn't contribute like they need him to, then this group will suffer immensely. Moats is good, but I wouldn't count on him as a >60-70% of snaps type of player.

As far as the DL... So far all signs point to Heyward & Hargrave being good to go come Monday.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm more concerned about the early part of the season...theoretically, with mostly young guys you would think they would get better as the season goes with any kind of coaching.

Tomlin likes this group but even he's unsure how they're going to do Monday Night.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it to someone before, but the loss of Dupree might not be as bad as we think. Clearly this is comin from the optimist inside me lol. But considering that Dupree only started 5 games last season and logged just over 50% of all defensive snaps, I'm not very worried. Here's a look at the snap totals breakdown of our OLB's last season:

Bud Dupree 563 - 50.77%
James Harrison 611 - 55.09%
Arthur Moats 554 - 49.95%
Jarvis Jones 455 - 41.03%

Even as a "starter" Dupree never logged more than 52 snaps in a game. This is just an elaborate way of sayin Butlers rotated his OLB's in a committee approach. If they can get Chickillo to contribute at the very least 40% (~400 snaps) then I guarantee Moats can handle 55%, while JJ helps out occasionally. Don't forget that Shazier even logged snaps on the outside, even generated a sack against SF last season doing so. I think that will be the plan for this group. A heavy rotation. Clearly this all really hinges on what they can get from Chickillo. If he doesn't contribute like they need him to, then this group will suffer immensely. Moats is good, but I wouldn't count on him as a >60-70% of snaps type of player.

As far as the DL... So far all signs point to Heyward & Hargrave being good to go come Monday.

Dupree is an athletic freak, but still learning the nuances of being a great pass rusher at this level...this sport hernia thing could knock him out for at least 10 games so I'm not counting on anything from him this yr now.

That said, there are more than a few people that will tell you Chick is a better pass rusher than Jones...I know that's not saying much...lol, but my point is I think he'll hold his own okay. He's hungry and knows this is his opportunity.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOD got me!! Surgery was a success thanks for all the prayers...Now it's on to the road to recovery! #First48#steelernation

officially went under knife today gents...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$10mil per is a lot for a G, but he's one of the best in the game...great for him, great for the Steelers!

$16mil signing bonus so that should bring his cap hit down to keep a little cushion.