• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting to think no FA WRs except maybe Wayne

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So after pondeing this for a long time...
thebrain.jpg

...I'm starting to think it would be a big stanank for the Niners to sign any of the FA WRs. Here are my reasons:

1. New, high performing WRs show up in the draft all the time. And they come from every round. That's not to say this isn't the same with other positions, but moreso with WRs.

2. The money would be better spent boldetring the OL or the defense. Consider this: The highest paid guard in the NFL is Jahri Evans. He makes an average of 8.1 Million dollars per year. Consider that Santonio Holmes makes 10 million per year, and he's nowhere near the best at his position. Which guy is going to perform more consistently over the next 5 years? Which one is more valuable to their respective teams?
And even if Sidney Rice becomes a 1000 yard receiver again is he really worth more to the team than an all-pro' would be at guard or center? I don't think so.
I'm not necessarily advocating the signing of Carl Nicks, but he'll probably get less money than Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe. Nicks will probably get a contract comparable to Colston. And I'd rather have Nicks + a rookie WR than Vincent, Bowe or Colston + Snyder. Especially if Manning comes to town because the Niners need to would keep him from getting hit.
The same concept applies if you replace Nicks with Robert Mathis.

3. The available WRs are 2nd tier #1's with the exception of Mike Wallace. And Wallace would cost a 1st rounder, which I'd much rather use on an OL, pass rusher, WR, etc. Now if the Niners offer him a low ball contract and the Steelers don't match 'cause they really want the pick then maybe. But if the Niners are going to break the bank for a WR it needs to be Megatron next offseason.

4. The talent level at WR in the draft is pretty flat. Reuben or Sanu may end up being just as good or better than Floyd or Blackmon. Kendal Wright is a wild card as well.

Wayne would be a good signing if, and only if, the Niners signed Peyton and he came on the cheap. If not maybe Garcon just to keep someone with whom Peyton has a level of comfort.

I'm not married to this idea, but I'm starting to think it might be the best way t'go.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad assessment at all. We need to upgrade the position badly, but I don't think we are desperate either. They probably feel pretty good about Morgan and Crabtree as penciled in starters. Then bring in a rookie or two from the draft to push them for playing time. Kyle Williams could end up being something as well with his speed. I'm hoping his NFC Championship game will make him a stronger and better player, but it could also have ruined his confidence and his career so he is a wild card in my book.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Y'know during that whole post it didn't even occur to me the Niners trade for him. But if that were even possible there's very little I wouldn't trade for that man. He's the closest thing to Andrew Luck and Julius Peppers for me.

Calvin + Vernon? That would be a pain in the ass to cover.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Y'know during that whole post it didn't even occur to me the Niners trade for him. But if that were even possible there's very little I wouldn't trade for that man. He's the closest thing to Andrew Luck and Julius Peppers for me.

Calvin + Vernon? That would be a pain in the ass to cover.

Oops, I mistook the last post for the wrong thread.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was honestly confused by your response lol. At least I know now it was for a reason.