• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Depth Chart Questions

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Jaxon Shipley #1 WR

2) Mike Davis #2 WR

3) Jackson Jeffcoat #1 DE

4) Quandre Diggs #1/2 DB

WTF. I've seen optimistic reports that they will all be back for the season - but then this sounds more pessimistic. Also, the Longhorns have kept injuries under the rug a bit in the past, and all this moving players around stuff makes me a bit nervous.

Any reliable word on these guys?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Jaxon Shipley #1 WR

2) Mike Davis #2 WR

4) Quandre Diggs #1/2 DB

WTF. I've seen optimistic reports that they will all be back for the season - but then this sounds more pessimistic. Also, the Longhorns have kept injuries under the rug a bit in the past, and all this moving players around stuff makes me a bit nervous.

-
All are expected back. Jeffcoat has practiced the last 2 days.
some practice notes:
Sanders looking good
Jeffcoat is not at full strength
Flowers pushing to be first OL off the bench
Harrison a bit raw, but the most talented OL on the team. May end up starting
Hopkins was seen running some Center
Gray looking like the undisputed #1 at RB
Cedric Reed looking good.
More Kool Aid to come

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forgot to add that Hawkins was seen playing some guard and apparently looked like the best OL there. With Hawkins at OG and Hopkins at OC there is some speculation that Texas is preparing for a line featuring Hopkins, Hawkins and Harrison at C, OG, and OT.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff on the o-line. Sounds like we finally have all 3: experience, talent, and depth.

Is Diggs really changing positions? I'm sure they know what they are doing, but I was really hoping we would have the 1-2 combo of Byndum and Diggs across the field from each other.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff on the o-line. Sounds like we finally have all 3: experience, talent, and depth.

Is Diggs really changing positions? I'm sure they know what they are doing, but I was really hoping we would have the 1-2 combo of Byndum and Diggs across the field from each other.
-
I love Diggs at the Nickel back spot. Puts him closer to the LOS, where his play making abilities can make a difference. Also is a sign that the light is coming on for Evans, supposedly he is turning the corner.

Also there is a lot of positive talk about Mykelle Thompson. Ridgeway seems to be the surprise of camp so far. For the 3rd straight yr there is chatter about hte light finally coming of for Reggie Wilson

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't bother going to the Official? Depth Chart at TexasSports.com(the official Longhorn website). It is dated July 28, 2013 and includes Cayleb Jones, Marquis Goodwin, DJ Monroe, Connor Brewer and a few other players no longer on the team.
<smh>

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news for our Longhorns. Desmond Harrison has been cleared by the NCAA to play this season. He's practicing. News over at BurntOrangeNation.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The depth in DBackfield this season will be key. Emerging stars are going to be Sheroid Evans and Duke Thomas. If M.Thompson and Adrian Philips don't pick it up with their tackling, look for some moving around. Philips did wear a shoulder harness most of the year last year, he really looked like he would not/could not put his shoulder into the tackle. Diggs, as mentioned above, should take KV's spot in the nickel. M.Thompson was an offensive player, QB, in HS, and his tackling shows it. If he can improve that, and gets position, he should improve.

Overstreet is impressing in the Wild formation, and tantalizes with his option of passing as well as in the run. He also has shown he can catch. J.Gray showed last year he is very good in the wild, so we well see. Overstreet will get into the mix on offense somehow, as he has too much talent. Major is going to use all his weapons.

Case will be the emergency 'relief pitcher' if you will. He's shown an ability to come in for a few series and push it forward. However, if Ash goes down, look for Swoopes or even JO to move in as well. I think Case has the experience, and if he can limit TOs, he might retain position. In practice, he had a great TD pass, plus two interceptions. That has always been his problem.

Hicks and Jeffcoat HAVE to stay healthy. Especially Hicks. LBs have to fill the holes and pursue better, or we are in trouble. We have to slow down the run, or we're toast. The DTs have to step up this year and help out the LB corp.

Excited about the year! In the practices I watched, Ash was very impressive. He never left the field, staying at Major's side when everyone else went for water. He does really have the knack for throwing a beautiful ball. In one practice, I'm guessing he threw approx. 100 passes? and every single one was a perfect spiral. Also nice touch on corner fades, and he has the arm to power a 30 yard out in an instant. Physically, he has it. All he needs is confidence.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Jaxon Shipley #1 WR

2) Mike Davis #2 WR

4) Quandre Diggs #1/2 DB

All back full workouts. Specifically, Davis and Shipley are back, full contact. So is Diggs.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, good reports on Daje Johnson. More mature, really knows playbook, not just counting on his talent and 4.3 speed in lieu of the learning part of it. I'm really looking to see this player have a big year. Someone above mentioned Ramonce Taylor... I'm thinking Daje could have that kind of explosiveness.

Demo-D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear they moved Diggs to Safety, or at least that is what my NCAA Football 14 says,

BUT, according to the depth chart Charlie share he is still a CB, which I prefer. He is too short to play Safety in my opinion. They list him at 5'10", but he is only 5'8" and 3/4's

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear they moved Diggs to Safety, or at least that is what my NCAA Football 14 says,

BUT, according to the depth chart Charlie share he is still a CB, which I prefer. He is too short to play Safety in my opinion. They list him at 5'10", but he is only 5'8" and 3/4's
-
He is playing CB. HE will be playing Nickle Back in the Nickle formations. It is a move a like. It puts him closer to the lien of scrimmage where his tackling and play making can make be utilized more. It is a statement about how Evans and Duke Thomas have looked at CB this camp.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the practices I saw (when they were open) Daje was also working at punt returns. Looked really good. Man o man, that kid can fly. Also caught td passes across the middle.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The official depth chart is out, Byndom and Thomas are the CBs, Diggs is the nickel back.
Texas Longhorns football: First depth chart released - Burnt Orange Nation
Looking forward to Sat and a shutout!

Jaxon Shipley and Kendall Sanders not starting? Hoping that is just for first game or so, due to injury and suspension.

Also, imo: The 2 most important players on the field according to this depth chart are going to be Duke Thomas and M. Thompson. D-line looks great; Linebackers look great; And Byndum and Diggs will do their jobs. If those 2 can hold up we look solid.

Finally where is Overstreet playing?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing that Overstreet is getting a position change.

Offense by class:
The oLine 3 Snr, 2 Jr. WRs Snr, Jr. & Soph. TE Jr. QB Jr. TB FB 2 Soph.
overall 4 Snr, 5 Jr. and 2 Soph.

Defense by class:
The dLine 2 Snr, Jr., Soph. LB 2 Jr., Soph. DBs 2 Snr 2 Jr. 1 Soph.
overall 4 Snr, 5 Jr. 3 Soph. One extra due to the Nickle.

Overall 8 Snr, 10 Jr. and 5 Soph. And this is why I think next year's will be even better than this year's.