• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Depth Chart Questions

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Is Diggs staying at CB or moving to safety? I sure hope he stays at CB. Having him and Byndom aside from each other is as solid as it gets.

2) #2/#3 Qbs? Any chance they redshirt McCoy? I doubt it, but wondering. I have heard that it will be Ash, McCoy, and Overstreet. But then I have also heard they will move Overstreet to a new position.

3) TE? My guess is that it will be Juco player Swain. I know its up in the air between 3 of them though.

4) Kicker? I thought based on last year, it would be Jordan. Then I have heard Fera is back and healthy. However, last depth chart I saw said Nick Rose will get the nod over both of them.

5) Hicks coming back at LB is HUGE!!! Still big questions on MLB though. Thoughts?

Hook Em!

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Is Diggs staying at CB or moving to safety? I sure hope he stays at CB. Having him and Byndom aside from each other is as solid as it gets.

I agree. Adrian Phillips has "some experience at SS", Vaccaro's littile brother Kevin should be the backup.

2) #2/#3 Qbs? Any chance they redshirt McCoy? I doubt it, but wondering. I have heard that it will be Ash, McCoy, and Overstreet. But then I have also heard they will move Overstreet to a new position.

No chance they redshirt McCoy. Either if Ash gets injured, or starts playing the way he did mid season, it's good to have a QB with some experience just in Case... No pun intended lol. If the Horns decide to move Overstreet, they should still redshirt Swoopes. If our QBs get injured to the point that we have to remove Swoopes' redshirt, then so be it.

3) TE? My guess is that it will be Juco player Swain. I know its up in the air between 3 of them though.
I'm thinking Greg Daniels. He has been given more reps with the first team than the others. It could be a toss up though.

4) Kicker? I thought based on last year, it would be Jordan. Then I have heard Fera is back and healthy. However, last depth chart I saw said Nick Rose will get the nod over both of them.
IMO, it should be Fera. Jordan was awful from 40+, Fera was a starter at Penn St, and Rose is just a true freshman.

5) Hicks coming back at LB is HUGE!!! Still big questions on MLB though.Thoughts?
Oh man I missed Hicks last season! As you know, once he went down our defense went with him. I don't know how one player could impact a defense like Hicks, but it showed. Maybe Hicks told players that if they miss a tackle he was going to beat the ever living shit out of them. All I know is that once he got injured, our defense couldn't tackle Kate Upton with a hundred dollar bill hanging out of her tits.

Most of the first, and second teams could change from each practice. Hopefully Mac and crew will find out the right depth chart well before the season starts.

Happy Hook Em'!

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty common for a defense to fall apart when they lose their MLB, especially when he is that good.
Remember when we beat OU 45-35? We didn't take over the game until their MLB Reynolds went out of the game with an injury. OU with a healthly Reynolds would have been undefeated NCs and IMO we beat Florida easily if we had played them.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect the Horns defense will be back to its top 10 selves once Hicks returns.

Hicks' loss set off a domino of inexperience.

Although Texas showed signs of great improvement when the youngster replacements got a little more into the season.

They were dead last in Big 12 defense the 1st 6 games.
They were first in Big 12 defense the last 7 games.

Hicks will be back AND all the youngsters now have some live action experience.

2012 will be an aberration as Texas is almost always the best defensive team in the league.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be since 2004, when Mack finally decided to fire Carl Reese and hire Greg Robinson. When the successful DCs got hired as HCs, Mack hired another.
Manny was also surprised by the speed of the Big 12 teams, as compared to his previous conference.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be great if Overstreet got moved to WR. His athletic ability is too good to waste on the sidelines, especially since Swoopes is coming in and can throw better than Overstreet.

I do not agree with the defensive takes here though. Sure getting Hicks back will be nice, but these guys can't tackle for diddly poo. And you could still see that in the spring game.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

5) Hicks coming back at LB is HUGE!!! Still big questions on MLB though. Thoughts?

Hook Em!
1. All current signs say Diggs is staying at CB. It appears Thompson and Phillips are our starting Safeties. Thompson has all the athletic ability in the world but really struggled with tackling. Phillips is pretty darn physical but wrapped up terribly last year. He always went for the big hit like he weighs 225 and got ran over a ton last year. I like him as a safety though. He has the instinct for the position from a passing game standpoint. In both players defense though, our front 7 was so poor they were both constantly asked to compensate in the running game which unless you are named Kenny Vaccaro or a similar NFL size safety is a losing battle. I do believe Diggs will take Vaccaro's spot close to the line of scrimmage in the nickel package.

2. McCoy will be the backup. He is a Senior and has proven over and over to be a nice change of pace to Ash when he struggles. The guy isn't starter material because of physical limitations, but he beat aggy and saved our bacon several times last year. I don't get the hate for this kid. Other than he isn't Colt...

3. I think M.J. McFarland is our best option with the new offense. He isn't near the blocker of Daniels or Swaim (reputation any way), but he is the best bet in the passing game.

4. Kicker I haven't a clue. It would seem if Fera is healthy he is the most experienced and he did kick well at Penn St.

5. Santos ran with the 1's the most at MLB. He lost weight and was a missile. Hicks and Jinkens are the real deal at OLB. Jinkens was flying around like a mad man at the end of last year. Santos looks like a different player at 235. Edmund looks like the making of a DT to me...

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. All current signs say Diggs is staying at CB. It appears Thompson and Phillips are our starting Safeties. Thompson has all the athletic ability in the world but really struggled with tackling. Phillips is pretty darn physical but wrapped up terribly last year. He always went for the big hit like he weighs 225 and got ran over a ton last year. I like him as a safety though. He has the instinct for the position from a passing game standpoint. In both players defense though, our front 7 was so poor they were both constantly asked to compensate in the running game which unless you are named Kenny Vaccaro or a similar NFL size safety is a losing battle. I do believe Diggs will take Vaccaro's spot close to the line of scrimmage in the nickel package.

2. McCoy will be the backup. He is a Senior and has proven over and over to be a nice change of pace to Ash when he struggles. The guy isn't starter material because of physical limitations, but he beat aggy and saved our bacon several times last year. I don't get the hate for this kid. Other than he isn't Colt...

3. I think M.J. McFarland is our best option with the new offense. He isn't near the blocker of Daniels or Swaim (reputation any way), but he is the best bet in the passing game.

4. Kicker I haven't a clue. It would seem if Fera is healthy he is the most experienced and he did kick well at Penn St.

5. Santos ran with the 1's the most at MLB. He lost weight and was a missile. Hicks and Jinkens are the real deal at OLB. Jinkens was flying around like a mad man at the end of last year. Santos looks like a different player at 235. Edmund looks like the making of a DT to me...

I think Safety and MLB are the 2 biggest question marks on our team. I hope Santos can hold us. Not thrilled with Thompson, saw way too much running around like a chicken with his head cut off last year, and piss poor tackling attempts.

On another note, I also wish we could find a spot for Overstreet. No matter what, next year we will still have Ash, Brewer, and Swoopes. I had once heard that he may be moving to LB or Safety? WR may not be too bad either.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Safety and MLB are the 2 biggest question marks on our team. I hope Santos can hold us. Not thrilled with Thompson, saw way too much running around like a chicken with his head cut off last year, and piss poor tackling attempts.

On another note, I also wish we could find a spot for Overstreet. No matter what, next year we will still have Ash, Brewer, and Swoopes. I had once heard that he may be moving to LB or Safety? WR may not be too bad either.
Thompson just seems like he should be on offense. The guy is electric with the ball in his hands. I still trust Akina as a coach so hopefully he has him straightened out. He was terrible last year. However, Byndom wasn't much better to be honest last season and he was nails as a sophomore. I just think we were so bad in the front 7 last season our secondary was constantly looking around lost about how to help them out. Even Vaccaro looked pretty bad at times and he is a complete stud (minus having a big mouth).

I've heard rumors of Overstreet all over the place. He seems like a good candidate for WR if his hands are good. If not, put him on defense. He needs to be on the field somewhere. He is too good an athlete to just waste.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hook Em!
Diggs will play CB, but be employed at Nickle Back frequently. It is a good sign of the depth at CB. Diggs is one of the best tackler in the secondary. Moving him closer to the line of scrimmage occasionally is not a bad thing.

I think Thompson gets a bit of a bad wrap, mostly due to the OU game. He is not a physical guy, but later in the yr he was a hard guy to Get around. Make contact and get dragged for 3 yds.

I think Swopes is the real #2 guy. Case will remain #2 on the depth chart and will make emergency or mop up play, but if Ash goes down for an extended period Swope will start. I was hoping Overstreet would be moved to OLB

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to bury the hatchet with codaxx and apologize. I attacked him when he was new on the previous site because I thought he was phony. Clearly he has joined the Longhorn family.
I have been conned in the past and it has tainted my outlook. CBS and their protection of Cassie caused me to be wary of others.
Dude, I'm sorry.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diggs will play CB, but be employed at Nickle Back frequently. It is a good sign of the depth at CB. Diggs is one of the best tackler in the secondary. Moving him closer to the line of scrimmage occasionally is not a bad thing.

I think Thompson gets a bit of a bad wrap, mostly due to the OU game. He is not a physical guy, but later in the yr he was a hard guy to Get around. Make contact and get dragged for 3 yds.

I think Swopes is the real #2 guy. Case will remain #2 on the depth chart and will make emergency or mop up play, but if Ash goes down for an extended period Swope will start. I was hoping Overstreet would be moved to OLB

Coda: Good to see you!

Looks like Overstreet certainly is not going to be playing QB. Recent news is that McCoy is still #2, Swoopes #3; And they are working Overstreet at RB and WR. RB???? Don't we have like 7 good ones already?

Case McCoy, absent from Austin while on mission trip, still expected to be with Longhorns this fall | College Sports Blog

On another note, it seems that Brewer may not be panning out. What little I have seen from him did not look great (all american and spring games). I sure hope Swoopes is what they say he is.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coda: Good to see you!

Looks like Overstreet certainly is not going to be playing QB. Recent news is that McCoy is still #2, Swoopes #3; And they are working Overstreet at RB and WR. RB???? Don't we have like 7 good ones already?

Case McCoy, absent from Austin while on mission trip, still expected to be with Longhorns this fall | College Sports Blog

On another note, it seems that Brewer may not be panning out. What little I have seen from him did not look great (all american and spring games). I sure hope Swoopes is what they say he is.

-
I am not a fan of Overstreet playing a couple spots. Hard enough to develop a guy at one position. I absolutely hate the idea of floating him around between wr/rb. I think he would make an excellent Big 12 OLB. I said that when he was recruited. Think Jinkens 2.0.. Case is certainly going to be the listed backup, but I am convinced if Ash went down for a couple games Swoopes would become the starter. Case is simply a bridge loan at this pt. He is there just for emergencies. There is no value to having him start multiple games. Ash goes down, it is time to think about the future.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am not a fan of Overstreet playing a couple spots. Hard enough to develop a guy at one position. I absolutely hate the idea of floating him around between wr/rb. I think he would make an excellent Big 12 OLB. I said that when he was recruited. Think Jinkens 2.0.. Case is certainly going to be the listed backup, but I am convinced if Ash went down for a couple games Swoopes would become the starter. Case is simply a bridge loan at this pt. He is there just for emergencies. There is no value to having him start multiple games. Ash goes down, it is time to think about the future.

Ehhh. I trust Case. He's not your franchise starting college qb. But, he has bailed us out more than once on short notice. A senior likely playing the very last football of his life - I think we'll see his best if needed. With Ash, he is sure to be needed in 1 or 2 games.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhh. I trust Case. He's not your franchise starting college qb. But, he has bailed us out more than once on short notice. A senior likely playing the very last football of his life - I think we'll see his best if needed. With Ash, he is sure to be needed in 1 or 2 games.
I have 0 interest seeign him ever play again. KSU showed his limitations. Only game he really did anything was in the Kansas game. Not sure if that was because Harsin decided to run jet sweep immediately after pulling Ash. That is something that always bothers me. Pull QB and then call 5 straight running plays. But most importantly, Case is a Senior back-up. That is just the most useless position in CFB. He is not a high-level back-up. If Ash goes down I want to see Texas preparing for the future, not trying to eek out 9 win season to make bolster the resume.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 0 interest seeign him ever play again. KSU showed his limitations. Only game he really did anything was in the Kansas game. Not sure if that was because Harsin decided to run jet sweep immediately after pulling Ash. That is something that always bothers me. Pull QB and then call 5 straight running plays. But most importantly, Case is a Senior back-up. That is just the most useless position in CFB. He is not a high-level back-up. If Ash goes down I want to see Texas preparing for the future, not trying to eek out 9 win season to make bolster the resume.

I would like to see Overstreet as the #2. There is something about that kid I like. He's fast as hell and has a good arm, plus, I think with Mack going back to the old offense would suit Overstreet just fine. I think he's very underrated at the QB position. I'd also like to see Jackson Jeffcoat live up to his hype for once. I can tell ya'll this, I'm ready to see what Daje will do this year. He might be another Ramonce Taylor.....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Overstreet as the #2. There is something about that kid I like. He's fast as hell and has a good arm, plus, I think with Mack going back to the old offense would suit Overstreet just fine. I think he's very underrated at the QB position. I'd also like to see Jackson Jeffcoat live up to his hype for once. I can tell ya'll this, I'm ready to see what Daje will do this year. He might be another Ramonce Taylor.....

Swoopes passed Overstreet. Overstreet I being moved to a RB/WR hybrid role