• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still trying to figure out the timeline. & what is the story about Boba Fett being alive.
Lost I knew it was return of the jedi & he was being digested for a 1000 years. How many years past the return of the jedi is this & how is Boba Fett alive & not looking like a victim of the fly?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still trying to figure out the timeline. & what is the story about Boba Fett being alive.
Lost I knew it was return of the jedi & he was being digested for a 1000 years. How many years past the return of the jedi is this & how is Boba Fett alive & not looking like a victim of the fly?
I think this takes place about 5 years after Endor. We don’t know how he survived. There are theories, but that is all they are.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hz01dfbox4361.png

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I misspoke about the 20 years above (It's ~20 years from RotJ to Force Awakens.) Basically Boba escaped the Sarlaac somehow and has been a nomad for 5-7 years til this show.

In Ep 2 this season, the X-Wing pilot mentions patrolling the outer rim regions, where Mandalorian takes place, because the Empire has fallen (RotJ) recently but there are still pockets of Imperials outside the relatively small space we watched in the original trilogy. The First Order from the newest trilogy were built out of one or more of these remaining Imperial armies.

Basically: New Hope - Empire Strikes Back - Return of the Jedi --5-7 years--> Mandalorian ------12-15 years-------> Force Awakens...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I misspoke about the 20 years above (It's ~20 years from RotJ to Force Awakens.) Basically Boba escaped the Sarlaac somehow and has been a nomad for 5-7 years til this show.

In Ep 2 this season, the X-Wing pilot mentions patrolling the outer rim regions, where Mandalorian takes place, because the Empire has fallen (RotJ) recently but there are still pockets of Imperials outside the relatively small space we watched in the original trilogy. The First Order from the newest trilogy were built out of one or more of these remaining Imperial armies.

Basically: New Hope - Empire Strikes Back - Return of the Jedi --5-7 years--> Mandalorian ------12-15 years-------> Force Awakens...
My understanding is that the time between RotJ and TFA is actually real time, so more like ~35 years. I think Ben is supposed to be approx 30 years old during TFA.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don’t see him as “good” or “bad”. He was a troubled youth, but that more so explains why he is such a badass. All his dealing with Vader, Jaba and now Mando, I feel are more about professionalism and adherence to a code.

I really haven’t given it all that much thought before writing my longer post a few posts back. There maybe pretty big holes in my theory.

You are probably correct. As good of a theory as anything out there

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a cultural Mandalorian, though, and presumably a member of the Bounty Hunters Guild. Both of whom honor agreements above all else. His agreement with Vader was that he would get Han. No moral judgement either way because his agreement with Jaba (maybe through the Guild??) was to acquire Han.

He didn’t care about Han. Han was a job.

He didn’t care about Vader. Vader was simply a means to an end (getting Han).

He was concerned when Vader may end up killing Han because his agreement with Jaba was presumably for a living Han (maybe a dead Han simply would have been a lower bounty?).

He didn’t care about the bad things happening at Jaba’s palace because they didn’t concern him. Had he already been paid for delivering Han? We don’t know. Maybe part of his contract was to deliver Han to Jaba and ensure that JABA could kill Han (so the contract wasn’t done until Han was eaten).

Flash forward 7 years (or whatever) and he is “negotiating” with a fellow Mandalorian to get his armor back. He respects Mando’s claim to the armor because he understands Mandalorian culture. He also has a legit claim to the armor and knows that Mando, ultimately, will respect his claim because it is legit based on Mandalorian “law”. But they come to an agreement that in exchange for the armor, he will ensure Grogu’s safety (remember that Mando agreed to help the Olyphant character in 2.1 despite the fact that Olyphant had no claim to the armor in Mando’s eyes because getting the armor through an agreement rather than looking like an ass was a potential better solution in his eyes -- different convo). Grogu was taken by Gideon before the “contract” was fulfilled, so he was still bound to assist Mando in getting Grogu back. He isn’t being a good guy or acting noble in helping Mando get Grogu. He was simply being true to his Mandalorian and Bounty Hunter codes of completing a contract. Granted, he may be showing more honor to Mando since he is a Mandalorian, but ultimately, he is just fulfilling his contract.
Yup and that's basically my point. I personally liked the character better when he was just in it for himself and didn't concern himself with guilds or Mandolorean culture. I get that if he breaks a contract it could ruin his reputation. But that certainly didn't seem to be a factor in the episode. He never actually agreed to a contract with Mando. He made the offer, they were interrupted and then he seized the opportunity to help himself to the armor. No agreement was ever made. And it was he that had to tell Mando that his end of the bargain had yet to he fulfilled. Not to mention if he truly is Mandalorian all he had to do was tell Mando that, and Mando seemed like he'd be completely willing to give it to him.

Again, I'm not saying it's a plot hole or Fett's behavior doesn't make sense. But his behavior so far (still early) is indeed a complete 180 from what little we knew about him in the originals. It's like they decided to turn him good(ish) without a redemption arc simply due to the character's popularity. I would have rather it happened slowly and organically instead of it seeming forced. That being said, it's not his show. He's just a guest star who might become a recurring character. I also recognize that I'm in the minority and I'm completely fine with that because I really like this show and want others to as well.

And I get some my issue is due to the expanding of the story and introducing Mandolorean culture over the years. Even though it didn't involve Fett directly, he was clearly the initial inspiration for it, an it eventually evolved into something much bigger than his minor character. So bringing him back now is much different than had they brought him back in some way in 1986. They had to find a way to fit him into the expanded universe, which is completely different than when he was simply known as a rogue bounty hunter. I was hoping he and his dad were not Mandalorian but Disney decided that in their canon the Fetts are Mandolorean. So be it. Not a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess they dumbasses of the world couldnt get Gina or Rosario fired. Now they are going after Bill Burr.

What is the love affair with trying to fuck with everyone from this show?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What!? Mando takes off his helmet!? Come on!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that certainly didn't seem to be a factor in the episode. He never actually agreed to a contract with Mando. He made the offer, they were interrupted and then he seized the opportunity to help himself to the armor. No agreement was ever made. And it was he that had to tell Mando that his end of the bargain had yet to he fulfilled. Not to mention if he truly is Mandalorian all he had to do was tell Mando that, and Mando seemed like he'd be completely willing to give it to him.
I have found the writing and the dialogue to be very poor at times...not to mention the acting of some of the minor characters. Even my teenage kids are making fun of some of the plots and dialogue.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What!? Mando takes off his helmet!? Come on!
He was raised with that rule, thinking it was the norm. But he has now met other Mandalorians who don’t live by that code, and he highly respects then and recognizes them as true Mandalorians.

While the situation mandated that he remove his helmet, his willingness to do it shows that he is really questioning his upbringing and the sect of Mandalorians that he was raised with.

On the “real world” side, it may have been a compromise between Pascal and the producers given the big public fight they had a few months back about the lack of literal face time Pascal was getting on the show.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was raised with that rule, thinking it was the norm. But he has now met other Mandalorians who don’t live by that code, and he highly respects then and recognizes them as true Mandalorians.

While the situation mandated that he remove his helmet, his willingness to do it shows that he is really questioning his upbringing and the sect of Mandalorians that he was raised with.

On the “real world” side, it may have been a compromise between Pascal and the producers given the big public fight they had a few months back about the lack of literal face time Pascal was getting on the show.

Good point about the questioning his upbringing but then you second point makes a heck of a lot of sense as well. I mean there was a lot of talk he was super pissed and what not so that could be a huge reason why he did as well

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That episode almost had an Inglorious Basterds vibe to it.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good read out on that. I took the scene as part of the convo he had with Mayfield earlier in the convoy about how none of that stuff really matters/everyone has a point where things change. And that point came for Mando because he actually loves Grogu as his own kid. And the only way the mission was gonna work was he had to sacrifice his code and remove his helmet. That gets bolstered at the end with the message Mando sends to Gideon where he's basically like "fuck you. give me back MY kid"

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have found the writing and the dialogue to be very poor at times...not to mention the acting of some of the minor characters. Even my teenage kids are making fun of some of the plots and dialogue.
I agree. I've noticed a few pretty amateurish lines throughout the series.

And to address the post above about attacking actors for things, whatever gets Gina off the show works for me. She is a God awful actress.