• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: The Mandalorian

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my step-daughters pleaded with me to get Disney+. They're teens but still love the Disney stuff since they are straight lace types.

Since I got it I checked this out. Pretty good. I love Pedro Pascal, or at least every character he has ever played, and I think he does a good job bringing his swagger to his role.

The show still has a lot of the head scratching incongruities of the Star War series(you have space ships but you have to tame some weird animal to get to the compound) but otherwise pretty good.

I loved the reveal.

I was also a little surprised by Mando's arbitrary fighting ability. Sometimes he can take on a half dozen bad guys and other times he barely survives against a random herd animal.

But I thought this article did a good job setting the context...

‘The Mandalorian’ Chapter 2: Are We Sure the Mando Is Good?
They'd be spotted by "radar" and shot out of the sky if they approached in a ship. Or at least that's what I assumed.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2nd episode was short but still pretty decent.

Do they ever say the name of the planet he was on? When the Jawas showed up with their sand crawler I started wondering if it was Tatooine. Same technology, attire, and behavior as the ones we saw in Episode 4. Didn't see the twin suns though so I'm guessing that was not Tatoooine.
Tatooine is one of two "home planets" for Jawas.... interesting point though as I don't believe they have ever talked about Jawas having interplanetary travel means.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It got more of a Clint Eastwood feel if you are asking me

I haven't seen it yet but my friend said he thought it had a western feel to it.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool detail someone noticed from the first episode that could have ramifications later on

The doctor character that kept interrupting The Client (Werner Herzog) had a Kaminoan patch on his sleeve. Those are the cloners from Attack of the Clones. Maybe the baby yodaling is a clone?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what time period does this show happen in? (In timeline of the movies)
I just assumed it would be sometime before, but then I seemed to remember Boba Fett having issues with Darth Vader freezing Han Solo. Worried it might kill him costing him money.

In the 1st episode of mandalorian, the mandalorian obviously is used to freezing his bounties. Which would make it seem the show is after the movies.

I know there is a bunch of you out there that knows a ton of things about SW that I dont.
Anyone know the timeline?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what time period does this show happen in? (In timeline of the movies)
I just assumed it would be sometime before, but then I seemed to remember Boba Fett having issues with Darth Vader freezing Han Solo. Worried it might kill him costing him money.

In the 1st episode of mandalorian, the mandalorian obviously is used to freezing his bounties. Which would make it seem the show is after the movies.

I know there is a bunch of you out there that knows a ton of things about SW that I dont.
Anyone know the timeline?

5 years after the original trilogy.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool detail someone noticed from the first episode that could have ramifications later on

The doctor character that kept interrupting The Client (Werner Herzog) had a Kaminoan patch on his sleeve. Those are the cloners from Attack of the Clones. Maybe the baby yodaling is a clone?
Yep, I think that's how Palpatine will return in IX. That's what happened in the old dark empire series so not unprecedented

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a bit of a “Rocky” feel to it doesn’t it?

Yes. "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" too. I don't think they were even trying to be subtle about that, which is fine. They want to give it that western vibe.

I don't hate the score but it just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. I know it's not Jon Williams but he didn't do Rogue One or Solo either but those scores sounded a lot closer to Williams than this show in my opinion. I'm guessing it's probably by design though.

Interesting that Disney Star Wars goes after so many Game of Thrones actors and even the showrunners at one point but haven't hired their composer (can never remember his name). He is the heir apparent to Williams. I know he does Westworld too but he must have some free time now that GoT is over.

All that being said, it's not that big a deal. Williams did the score for Episodes 7 and 8 which I thought were mediocre movies at best.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't blown away but I enjoyed it. I definitely intend to stick with it.

Yoda died of old age at 900 and that thing was still a baby at 50. So Yoda was a baby for at least 1/18 of his life. Seems a bit disproportionate. But whatever, it's a made up alien species and maybe Yoda got into the death sticks in his 300s.

A guy who I work with who knows all about everything SW said that is not who the bounty was. It is the same species but not same person. This is supposed to take place between episode 6 and 7.

Not saying true or untrue, but for now I am going with what he said.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the production value and stylistic choices they made in just this first episode gives me high hopes for the Obi Wan series. I've been waiting for a Kenobi movie or series for fucking years!

th

This is not the series you are looking for

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had one complaint about the show so far it is the score. I really didn't think it was very good.
I paid more attention to this in the second ep. You're right. It sounds like John Williams disappointing grandson who smokes to many twigs and goes to raves got the job as a favor to Williams.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, I think that's how Palpatine will return in IX. That's what happened in the old dark empire series so not unprecedented
... Yoda had. My initial reaction was that Yoda must have known about the cloning facility on Kamino WAY earlier than what he indicates in Ep. II and maybe went there and had his DNA preserved knowing that the Jedi would be in some type of undefined catastrophic danger in the future. Total knee jerk reaction that seemed somewhat corroborated after I read the article that points out Herzog's scientist guy is associated with Kamino. OR maybe there are other options than Kamino for cloning but Herzog's guy became aware of it later due to being in the same industry.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

a23.jpg

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn’t going to see it assuming it was just more SJWars junk, but the reviews are so good I might have to check it out now:

9mcg.jpg

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn’t going to see it assuming it was just more SJWars junk, but the reviews are so good I might have to check it out now:

9mcg.jpg

You incels really hate when your favorite shows have women in them, huh?