• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stamkos

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I know I am new here...but....

There is just too much unrealistic talk about getting Stamkos, trading for Stamkos, signing Stamkos....

To sign Stamkos the Flyers would have to make an offer that TB cannot or will not match. That means at the MAX the CBA allows for a cap hit. That means that the Flyers who have less than 6mill of actual cap space to work with at the moment (all those pesky contracts to Leighton and Backlund and Shelley and Lappy). That is not even close. That means shipping out another 4-6 million in salary just to be able to make the offer. No assurance that offer will be the one that Stamkos chooses. If they do, the Flyers loose their next 4 first round draft picks. UNLESS they work out a trade with Tampa, ala the Chris Gratton deal. In that case, say good bye to Giroux and JvR, or Shen.

If it comes to trading for his rights, again, say goodbye to Giroux and or JvR and Shenn.

Is Stamkos an amazing goal scorer? Yes. Does he make the players around him better? Yes. Are there players on the Flyers who would benefit from having a player like him here? Well, if they have to trade them all to get him....no.

So, you see? As much as it makes good chatter...it aint going to happen. And I don't mean that in the way that people said "Mike Richards will never be traded" cause I said he could be traded as easily as Carter all along.

:peace2:

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Though it is a realllllly long shot, it is not impossible. Tampa is hurting bigtime with money. An offer sheet that goes above 8 mil will be tough for them. If I am them I do what everyone else is saying and match anything.

But for us, we get rid of versteeg and/or carle and we do have the room to sign him at around 8.5

My suggestion is to be dicks and send a large offer sheet knowing that the bolts will be at the ceiling for a few years. No harm done there except putting a target on our heads.

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tampa will match any offer.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Tampa will match any offer.

Technically they cannot match "any" offer since their funds are limited. But the same goes for us and most other teams. Thats why for us to have any chance to blow them out of the water, we need to dump versteeg, carle, let leino walk, and hopefully get voracek and simmonds at reasonable prices.

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if i were homer and i thought making a run at stamkos made sense, i would do it. i suspect he full well knows that he cannot blow tampa's offer out of the water due to our own cap constraints. so why bother. but i would do it anyway (to the extent he can) so that tampa has to over pay for stamkos. this is war. if you can reduce tampa's ability to afford a free agent later because of stamkos it is worth it.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it doesnt make sense that the flyers will be able to outbid the highest bidder not just have to worry about tampa bay matching. realistically struggling markets with lots of cap room should blow this deal out of proportion. florida has loads of cap space, no star power, and aren't even close to the league minimum.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Florida will continue this trend as long as it's existence. Never understood having the NHL spreading into the deep south. It just does not work. Florida (Miami) is the worst for supporting major league sports. Panthers, Marlins, and the Dolphins are a hit and miss.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may or may not have been arguing logic for naught.

Anthony SanFillipo tweeted that the Flyers have an offer sheet of $115 million over 12 years with a NTC from day one.

Tim P'natch is tweeting that the Lightning will match ANY offer....so...there you have it.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen that anywhere. Well at least TB is going to be tied up on a few gigantic contracts for a few years. Btw is Roloson coming back?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a correction..the NTC can not kick in for a couple years but would be built in from day one...don't know...still kinda shocking that they would think about going down that road. That would be a lot of money to shed.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine that Stamkos isn't resigned or dealt before July 1st.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may or may not have been arguing logic for naught.

Anthony SanFillipo tweeted that the Flyers have an offer sheet of $115 million over 12 years with a NTC from day one.

Tim P'natch is tweeting that the Lightning will match ANY offer....so...there you have it.

Nice find. A few things to consider.

1) Homer has obtained a set of brass balls this offseason. To be honest, I don't think anyone (currently) is untradeable to him right now.

2) They have some maneuverability (Leino, Steeg, Carle, Bob) if they really want to fill the last few roster spots with cheap AHL talent.

3) If the Flyers do send over an offer sheet in the $9-10M range, perhaps it is a ploy to force Tampa's hand in letting another player go (Vinny, St. Louis, Hedman, Gags)? We know that TB won't be able to match that kind of offer with their current cap situation. I wonder if the Flyers are looking at another TB player as a potential consolation prize -- and want to see how they handle an offer sheet situation?

Just my 2 cents, and maybe a little wishful thinking. :cool2:

Last edited by a moderator:

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting thought. You may be on to something here. TB could use a goalie. Not sure if Roloson will be back. I wonder how much Gagne would cost to come back here? No way he is getting over 5 million at this point.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN is reporting that Rolo has resigned in Tampa for the $3mil range. I don't know how they think it is going to all work out...

PhillyFate48

Pimp by blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if i were homer and i thought making a run at stamkos made sense, i would do it. i suspect he full well knows that he cannot blow tampa's offer out of the water due to our own cap constraints. so why bother. but i would do it anyway (to the extent he can) so that tampa has to over pay for stamkos. this is war. if you can reduce tampa's ability to afford a free agent later because of stamkos it is worth it.

Stamkos doesn't want to be in Tampa anymore!!!!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friend texted me saying negotiations have fallen between TB and STamkos. Dont know where he heard it, or if it is true

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source: Flyers haven't made a decision on Stamkos

Just posted by TimP on csnphilly.com

It is one of those "ooh look at the pretty things in the window...I can't eat for a month if we buy them" situations. But a lot more fun being on the inside of these situations than being a team that has $11+mill locked up in two enigma centers...just saying

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah i am also a little confused. who has the enigma's at center? us or tampa?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um, think, what two players are no longer Flyers and represented 11+ million in cap hit for the next 10 years?