• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stamkos

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
honestly, while the thought of a JVR-Giroux-Stamkos line makes me want to just go insane in the head, i really don't think they should bring in stamkos. i mean ideally, i'd say hell yes, stamkos on this team instantly makes them a contender again.
but..
you have to remember we are playing in a salary cap era. you give him an offer sheet he's going to be making 9.5 mil a year. thats 1/6 of your cap space in one player. also, we have briere at 6.5, timonen at 6.33. thats like one third of our cap tied up in 3 guys. we need 18 more guys. thats not really very realistic. and granted, JVR is due for a raise next season and coburn and carle are UFAs. not to mention that eventually guys like schenn, couturier, voracek, simmonds will get hefty raises if they stay with the flyers in the next 4-5 years.

not to mention bringing in stamkos means goodbye bob, leino, carle, versteeg and possibly someone else. thats a lot of depth to give up. i'd rather have a deep and balanced team with JVR, giroux as the leaders as we are currently building instead of having a one line team (JVR-giroux-stammer) with no depth whatsoever.

this team is really built nicely right now. affordable young talent, a solid core, all it really needs is a veteran forward or two and a year of meshing together. thats it.

all im saying is that if they sign stamkos, our team in 2012-13 is pretty much going to be 2 lines and 2 defensive pairings and then 10 phantoms. not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um, think, what two players are no longer Flyers and represented 11+ million in cap hit for the next 10 years?

ohhh.. you mean its fun to be on the rumor list for a superstar than to be sitting here talking about how the flyers are up against the cap with 4 roster spots to fill, which is where we would be if richards and carter hadn't gotten traded

that is NOT how i read your previous post haha

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was just comparing the flyers to the caps if the flyers turned into a 1 line team, which was his concern

and to be honest, i dont trust the guys you mentioned to be all of the secondary scoring

i'd be super excited if the flyers got stamkos, obviously, but i'm just worried about the cost.. it might be worth it, it might not, at the moment and what i have envisioned as the cost for him, it doesn't seem worth it to me, but i'm not a hockey GM

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if the flyers got him at 8.5 for the length that i hear suggested, it would suck short term but be great in the long run. at the current rise of the salary cap, the contract wouldnt be all that bad 2-3 years down the line.