• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford 71st on top 100.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As some of you may know, the NFL network does their top 100 every year. It's not something I really get into but I do kind of look at it as they go through just to see where guys are at. I just say that Stafford is ranked #71 on the list this year.

I know some of his numbers where down, but I just can't see him being ranked this low. Warren Sapp also disagreed and said, "theres no way you can find 70 players better than Stafford in this league after what he's accomplished over the past two years".

Personally, I don't think he should be near the top after last year but he deserves a better rank than this. I'm not trying start a "best QB" arguement here, just some general convo.

What you guys think?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those guys just got proven wrong (again) about all their mock drafts, but we're supposed to take this seriously?

Most FF rankings charts have him as the 10th overall player going into the new season. Take that for what it is worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm.... Were there atleast nine QBs ahead of him? Possibly 11? If you cut the number in half, offense and defense, its 35. So, in essence the list is saying every team has one better offensive player and several have two. I could agree with that. We have one who's clearly better. The Vikings and Packers do as well. Was Brandon Marshall ahead of him? ( I'm trying to see if my logic atleast holds true within the division). I could also see Peppers, Allen and Matthews being ranked higher than he is. Definitely nobody on our D though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, I'm gonna disagree with myself real quick and say Suh should be ranked higher.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, I'm gonna disagree with myself real quick and say Suh should be ranked higher.

I agree. People forget it was Suh who energized the Lions, and it wasn't until Goodell took Suh's balls did they start sucking again. Matt Pimp and Megatron are freaks, but Suh is the energy source.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 guys in the Top 70 is pretty good, better than average by my math. CJ was top
5 right? I gotta think for a bit where I'd put SUH. But it'd prolly be higher than where he ended up.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a different note, Suh was rated the most overrated player in the NFL, followed by Reggie Bush at 3rd most overrated

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a different note, Suh was rated the most overrated player in the NFL, followed by Reggie Bush at 3rd most overrated

Pssssshhhhh, by who? Bears fans? Swarm touched on exactly why Suh is the man. Schwartzys high intensity, in your face, borderline dirty defense is/was perfectly matched for Suh. But Goodell is a little biatch and wants the NFL to migrate to some NancyBoy style. Now I'm getting all worked up. I could see the Reggie Bush part though. Aside from the fact he's perfectly suited for our offense. Now I'm more worked up. Who's making these lists? I need names! (not to sound like I'm ordering anybody around, just in the middle of a blood pressure spike is all)

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford has a cannon for an arm. IMO better than Jay Cutler's arm. He has a very good cast of weapons around him most importantly Calvin Johnson.

The Lions have a passable O-line that would be better if they signed Winston Justice but if not he should see only a slight increase in his hurries and hits. Hard to replace Backus's an Cherilous's experience.

The only thing that concerns me is the mechanics and his use of the side arm pass.

I could easily see another 5,000 yard season from him. He will slowly and surely be recognized as a top QB in the league it just will take some time and winning records by the Lions.

If Detroit would have finished 9-7 or 8-8 I am willing to bet Stafford would be about 15-20 spots higher. So alot of Staffords legacy is being built by the guys around him.

As for Suh being the most overrated sure but I am still glad he is on the Lions! And would be cussing him out two times a year if he was a Viking, Bear, or Packer!

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be nice is if Stafford didn't have to throw for 5,000 yards.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What up Smit-tay? Lol. They've only made it up to the 70th player, starting from 100. They do ten guys a week I think. Theres only two guys in our division that I would give up Stafford for and that's AP and Rodgers. I'll pass on Matthews and Peppers. Its true, if the Lions had a better record, he would be further up the list. They had Kapernick a spot above Staff. What is that?

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford is ranked 76 not 71. 71 is Trent Richardson. As for Stafford being ranked at 76 it's not too bad.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Smitty -- if he is ranked 71st or 76th, it would still rank him roughly in the top 35-40 players offensively if the top 100 list breaks down even to offense and defense.

I think that is a very fair assessment of where stafford ranks. I would say he is in the top 10-15 QBs in the league, with the skill set to be one of the top 5 in the future.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys put RG3, Luck and Wilson ahead of Stafford? Because it's safe to say that they will be ranked above him. Out of one season I would put them ahead of Staff but based on total body of work..then no.

And I'm getting sick and tired of how analyst(looking at you Dave Dameshek, Marshall Faulk and that guy on NFL AM) discredit Stafford by saying "oh he has Megatron to throw too" and yet they never discredit Matt Ryan because he has White and Jones to throw too.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I wouldn't put any of those guys ahead of him yet. (This isn't the convo Yao was looking for). Wilson did win a playoff game. (I think) but RG3 and Luck are right where Matty is, looking forward to bright careers. I wouldn't deal Staff for anyone in our division but ARodg, Lionstop (I didnt even bring up the side-arm, out of respect to you and your thread:) But I could see how several other NFC North guys could be ranked higher. I hope Reggie Bush wasn't.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not in a million years would I give up Stafford for AP.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is underrated because his numbers have declined. His numbers declined because he is constantly double teamed and also because our defensive backfield was so banged up. People who watch the tape know the guy is a beast and is getting better. If the db's can stay healthy this year opposing QB's will be holding onto the ball longer....Suh will be getting some sacks this year....hopefully

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent-wise, I think Stafford is a top 5 QB, but I dont have too much of a problem where they rank him because the mental aspect has to be accounted for.

I know, I knoww, everyone wants to point to that Cleveland game his rookie season to show how tough this kid is. The problem is, every rookie usually comes into the league tough. It is the hits they take for a few years that takes the wind out of their sales. Harrington even looked tough his rookie year. I saw him take a bone jarring hit and jump up and slap the guy on the butt for it. But as time went and the hits kept coming, he wasnt so poised in the pocket. I see the same happening with Stafford.

His rookie year he was superman when it came to toughness. Last year, I saw some crumbs of kryptonite in his pudding. There were times when the pocket was holding strong, and he suddenly took off in a scramble to the side, which forced the lineman over there to either hold or let the defensive player chase him down. I dont mind the side arm, but there were a few times he threw it side arm or from his back foot when I didnt feel he was real pressured.

With Bush there now, he will have a quick out more often. That will force defenses to accomodate for Bush and hopefully that will ease the pressure on Pettigrew and he wont drop them as much. Hopefully that stuff will give him a little more security in the pocket, knowing he has an out if he needs it. If he regresses again, he could be on his way to being yet another talented QB the Lions ruin.

I think he will be fine and have another big year, but for now, I understand that ranking.