• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Spurs (38-6) @ Warriors (40-4) 1030 PM EST 1/25/16 NBATV

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comment by KD sums it up pretty good in terms of them not being like SAS or GSW in style of play.

"Look, we're not the San Antonio Spurs," Durant said. "We're not going to make 30 passes a possession. We're not that. Of course, people want us to be that, and that's great basketball, don't get me wrong. But we've got guys that can score. We've got two guys on this team that can get a bucket. And there are going to be times when we've got to ISO and there's going to be times when we have to be aggressive and look for our shot. But basketball is simple when you've got a guy that can get to the paint. That's what San Antonio wants to do.

"We've got multiple guys that can do that -- myself, Russ, Dion [Waiters], Cameron Payne -- guys who can get to the paint and kick out or dump down for a layup," he said. "That's ultimately what you want -- get the defense off balance, drive, kick, make the right play. Simple basketball. But we just don't make five or six passes before we do it sometimes, and that's not a knock against us, I don't think. When you've got dynamic guys that can play and do multiple things on the floor, I think it's to your advantage."

The metrics bear out what Durant is saying. In terms of assists per 100 possessions, the Warriors are first (20.5) and the Spurs are tied for second (with Atlanta at 19.2). The Thunder are 15th (16.5).
I get what he's saying, but how does that help them become better than the two top teams? Shouldn't the attitude be we need to find a way to counter what those teams are doing so that the end result is a win rather thhan just accepting they're #3?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only sometimes? Are you sure? :scratch:

:lol:

Yeah, only sometimes.

Russ was really the only poster willing to go on and on with me about the draft, which is where both of our Teams Seasons began and ended for awhile:L.

He knows his sports and has some very valid points.

It's just hard to recognize because of all his trolling.

I know I'm in the minority about him. But, I think he will make a damn fine Lawyer.

He has a knack for rearranging the truth and throwing out red herrings...:nod:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, not having a true 3rd option was the problem.

Ibaka is good. But, he tends to disappear.

I was very uneasy about them paying Kanter that much to come off the bench.

But, it makes alot of sense when you realize that they don't need the one thing he provides in the starting unit.

Scoring.

He can be that 3rd guy.

It makes Ibaka's job much easier when all he has to concentrate on is defense.
Also, they had that 3rd guy in Harden but they let him go. They may not get another good fit like that in their offense. It's pretty hard to find another player to come in with a talent level that they will need and be comfortable with being that 3rd option.
Other than the Warriors team, the only other guy that I can think that was successful (at a high level) was Bosh with Wade & LBJ.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, only sometimes.

Russ was really the only poster willing to go on and on with me about the draft, which is where both of our Teams Seasons began and ended for awhile:L.

I know I'm in the minority about him. But, I think he will make a damn fine Lawyer.

Never ask a question you do not already know the answer to on cross. ;)

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, they had that 3rd guy in Harden but they let him go. They may not get another good fit like that in their offense. It's pretty hard to find another player to come in with a talent level that they will need and be comfortable with being that 3rd option.
Other than the Warriors team, the only other guy that I can think that was successful (at a high level) was Bosh with Wade & LBJ.
ever hear of the Celtics with KG, Pierce, Allen? OR the really old Celtics with Bird, McHale, Parish? (the ORIGINAL Big 3)--- well the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL Big 3 are Churchill, Stalin, FDR....right?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, only sometimes.

Two things that annoy me the most about him. 1. his inability to debate without trolling simultaneously & 2. his need to drive his opinions-that often turn into rants- down the throats of others combined with his unwillingness to be open to other points of view

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intriguing

I won't go so far as to compare him to Steph.

But, he has a similar path to the NBA as Steph and CJ.

Small scoring pg from a small college program.

Payne- Career: 69 G, 18.5 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 5.7 APG

Steph -Career: 104 G, 25.3 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 3.7 APG

CJ- Career: 111 G, 21.3 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 2.7 APG

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things that annoy me the most about him. 1. his inability to debate without trolling simultaneously & 2. his need to drive his opinions-that often turn into rants- down the throats of others combined with his unwillingness to be open to other points of view

The guy can never admit he's wrong.

I think it's funny.

Probably because I'm seldom on the receiving end of said rants.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeff Green too.

OKC has to stop being cheap.

I think they finally got the point by giving Kanter that obscene contract.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am totally open to peoples points of view that have taken some time to educate themselves- but its EXTREMELY hard to take someone seriously and afford them any credibility when they make comments like RW does not pass when for the last 2 seasons he is top 5 in the NBA.

I am not going to afford someone the benefit of the doubt that says stupid things with no factual basis when they have made ZERO effort to educate themselves. Just pulling an argument out of your ass just does not fly with me and really- thats all you really do LAD.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion- but lets not be children and act like all opinions are equal or all opinions are based on in reality.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am totally open to peoples points of view that have taken some time to educate themselves- but its EXTREMELY hard to take someone seriously and afford them any credibility when they make comments like RW does not pass when for the last 2 seasons he is top 5 in the NBA.

I am not going to afford someone the benefit of the doubt that says stupid things with no factual basis when they have made ZERO effort to educate themselves. Just pulling an argument out of your ass just does not fly with me and really- thats all you really do LAD.
@Mecca-
Exhibit A

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Green too.

OKC has to stop being cheap.

I think they finally got the point by giving Kanter that obscene contract.
I read a really interesting article on OKC

everyone know just barbeques them for getting rid of Harden- and then giving Kanter basically the same contract they would not give Harden- which there is definitely some credence to that.

However, if they give HArden that contract- it puts them into multi-year repeater territory at a time when the cap has not yet risen fast enough to keep them out of it. They would be paying like 5-1 right now if they kept HArden which is untenable for Clay Bennett....as is- they are in the tax- but with how it is going up- tehy will never get into the harsh repeater territory that Harden would have taken them in.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

everyone know just barbeques them for getting rid of Harden- and then giving Kanter basically the same contract they would not give Harden- which there is definitely some credence to that.

However, if they give HArden that contract- it puts them into multi-year repeater territory at a time when the cap has not yet risen fast enough to keep them out of it. They would be paying like 5-1 right now if they kept HArden which is untenable for Clay Bennett....as is- they are in the tax- but with how it is going up- tehy will never get into the harsh repeater territory that Harden would have taken them in.

Agreed.

Your point is further validated by the fact that they got torched in 5 games in the Finals with a healthy Durant/Westbrook with Harden on the roster.

He did JACK SHIT in that series. So, why go up the duff for a guy that won't put you over the top?

But, in hindsight, it was a mistake.

....I don't know about you. But, I had no idea Harden was capable of putting up these types of numbers.

I often think, they should have given Harden the contract over Ibaka.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

@WiggyRuss

I'll take your word for it on that because, quite honestly, the contracts and penalties and caps and tax brackets of how the NBA does all this confuses the fuck outta me.

The NBA obviously has never heard of KISS ....

as in, Keep It Simple Stupid.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is just a TEENSY little bit of advice when framing an argument- how they teach in every law school across the country from Harvard to the lowest of the low.

IRAC

Issue
Rule
Analysis
Conclusion.

Lets just take this exceptionally dumb comment from LAD on RW not passing.

Issue- Does RW pass?
Rule- Typically in the NBA- the better the playmaker, the more assists you rack up. It is generally accepted that assists are a great indicator of a players willingness and ability to pass the ball.
Analysis- Apply the rule, to the situation- RW- top 5 in assists 2 years in a row, top 10 three years in a row (overly simplistic but im not going to go into a while analogizing, etc.)
Conclusion- wrap it up with a pithy quote that sums up your argument.

pretty much any argument can be framed this way and its a good way for structuring it- at this point it just comes naturally after taking test after test and writing brief after brief etc.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the flip side of that coin is that decision most likely cost them oppotunities to win. That season prior to letting Harden go they were in the WCF. They've never made it back or beyond since watching him walk away.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Your point is further validated by the fact that they got torched in 5 games in the Finals with a healthy Durant/Westbrook with Harden on the roster.

He did JACK SHIT in that series. So, why go up the duff for a guy that won't put you over the top?

But, in hindsight, it was a mistake.

....I don't know about you. But, I had no idea Harden was capable of putting up these types of numbers.

I often think, they should have given Harden the contract over Ibaka.
Yes, I think I can remember all of us were saying-at the time- they should've paid to keep Ibaka because of what he does for them defensively and because you can't throw a rock without hitting a guard in this league.

But we were all wrong IMO. I am not a Harden fan-personally cannot stand him- but will say that he's arguably kept that Houston team competitive and pretty close to the same level as OKC in terms of where they've seeded at the end of seasons.