• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2017

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson struggled a bit last year but yeah I don't get it. Can never have enough pitching depth but I figured with Miranda, Heston, Whalen, Povse and Moore they were doing ok in that area

My thoughts as well and plus the guy reminds a lot of recent minor league SP's JD has picked up. I mean if he had #2 upside instead of #4 upside, then different story.

I guess I wasn't any more excited when they rated him #15 on the Mariners prospect list after acquiring him when our to were #12 and #22. Of course if Segura signs long term, then there is less need for a fringe SS prospect.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Heredia can keep up his current pace or not, but he's making an early case for an Opening Day roster spot.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Heredia can keep up his current pace or not, but he's making an early case for an Opening Day roster spot.

I kind of think the 4th OF spot is his to lose. Rosterwise he makes more sense then Gamel because he can spell Dyson or Martin against a lefty.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners lose another to the World Baseball Classic

ten players from Major League camp will leave, including six (possibly seven) who should be on the opening day roster. That now includes new shortstop Jean Segura, who was added to the Dominican Republic’s roster as a replacement for Hanley Ramirez on Thursday morning.

The Mariners are losing their 2-3-4 hitters, three of their five starting pitchers – that is, if Drew Smyly, who is on the designated pitcher list for Team USA, is selected to play after the first round – and their closer. That is a significant piece of the 2017 roster, so camp and games will look decidedly different during the WBC.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like this deal much at all. #12 and #22 ranked Mariner Prospects and I really liked Jackson.
I actually don't have a problem with this trade. And I did like Drew Jackson as a prospect but he is still probably 2 years at best from being a factor for the major league club.

I am thinking Dipoto wanted to stay away from having to put Povse or Moore on the 40 man and rely on them if something went south. Moore and Povse haven't pitched above AA yet. I think he at least wants to get them some time in AAA. This move makes the depth at SP 1.Felix, 2.Kuma, 3.Paxton, 4.Smyly, 5.Gallardo, 6.Miranda 7.Heston 8.Whalen, 9.De Jong, 10.Overton. That is 10 deep without breaking a sweat, I would be comfortable with anyone of those guys stepping in for an injury or lack of performance *cough*( Gallardo) *cough* and if they suck move on to the next guy.

Losing Jackson sucks but I am not too sure he would have made a difference in the current window the Mariners are in.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be real cool if the Mariners started off the actual season like this

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haniger is looking good so far this spring. Like what I am seeing from him

Between Haniger, Dyson, Gamel and Heredia, our corner outfield spots are looking pretty good offensively right now. Obviously it's still really early in the Spring and you can't learn much from early Spring stats when you're trying to project regular season results, but I'd rather have four legitimate contenders for two spots during the Spring than one or two legitimate contenders for two spots. We'll see how it goes, but I like what I see so far from the outfielders. I wish we weren't going to be losing so many starters to the WBC, but if there's a silver lining to that, it gives the coaching staff and front office personnel a chance to get a nice, long look at the depth we have at those positions this year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was glad to hear that Gallardo pitched well today. He seems to be the guy in the rotation that has the most people questioning his ability to pitch well here.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was glad to hear that Gallardo pitched well today. He seems to be the guy in the rotation that has the most people questioning his ability to pitch well here.

Very true and I am not sold on him just yet, but this was a good step forward.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners are bound for some trade luck, if Segura and Haniger both hit for the Mariners it could turn into a special season. If those two play well and everyone lives up to their baseball cards (even Zunino doing his thing) they should be playoff bound.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see. I am really skeptical that he will be able to put up decent numbers during the regular season. I hope I am wrong because he has been very good and consistent throughout his career up until the last 2 seasons or so. I am just not convinced he can get back to those more effective numbers though.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see. I am really skeptical that he will be able to put up decent numbers during the regular season. I hope I am wrong because he has been very good and consistent throughout his career up until the last 2 seasons or so. I am just not convinced he can get back to those more effective numbers though.

I'm not convinced either, but if he can have an ERA under 5 and pitch around 6 innings per start as the Mariners' theoretical 5th starter I am ok with that. I just don't want to see Horacio Ramirez or Carlos Silva type numbers from him. The Mariners have had far to many of those.