• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2015

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Miller just said on the radio that Pagan responded well to the shot in his back and was back a day early today working out and hitting off a tee.

Good news. Man, if he can just stay healthy it would be such a shot in the arm for the team. The Giants seem to go good with Angel's energy in the line up. Got to get the bats going soon. Pagan could be back in the line up Monday.

Go Giants !!

He won't stay health. Might as well say "If Posey hits 100 HR's this year", they have the exact same chance of happening. Pagan will miss 30-plus games this season.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't stay health. Might as well say "If Posey hits 100 HR's this year", they have the exact same chance of happening. Pagan will miss 30-plus games this season.
I think we'd all take that, gladly.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We arrived late to Maryvale on Thursday and had to park a couple of blocks away. Then again, getting out was pretty easy. On Fri, we went to Salt River Field to see the A'ss B squad vs. the Rox. Easy to get in and out, and that is my favorite stadium so far in Cactus League. Yesterday, it was Sloan Field for Cubs Mariners...kind of an imitation of Salt River, and nice, but not quite as nice. Today it's Scottsdale Stadium for G's split squad vs. Angels.

It is getting really expensive now; fortunately I go with guys who snap up the tickets early. I paid $120 for all four tickets.

Saw Hunter Pence at breakfast in Old Town yesterday, and Aaron Rowand at the hotel this morning. Oh, and Joe Maddon at dinner last night. I thought Tron threw very well on Thursday, but was unimpressed with Maxwell's plate approach -- looks like he's got a big hole in his swing. I'll see more today and report back when I get home tonight.

Maryvale and Hohokam are the worst for traffic. We were at Salt River for Rox and Dogs (Rox won!) on Saturday. Saturday night we ate at Lolo's Chicken and Waffles, and sat next to half the Dallas Mavericks team. Today went to Sloan Park, nice venue, loved the shade structures! Great pitching between Shields and Hammel. Staying in LA tonight, after dropping my son off at the airport. I may have to reconsider the expense for next year, and maybe just settle for the AFL.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryvale and Hohokam are the worst for traffic. We were at Salt River for Rox and Dogs (Rox won!) on Saturday. Saturday night we ate at Lolo's Chicken and Waffles, and sat next to half the Dallas Mavericks team. Today went to Sloan Park, nice venue, loved the shade structures! Great pitching between Shields and Hammel. Staying in LA tonight, after dropping my son off at the airport. I may have to reconsider the expense for next year, and maybe just settle for the AFL.

We ate at Yard House on Thursday, which is a formula beer restaurant but surprisingly good. Friday was the annual pilgrimage to El Chorro -- amazing as always. Saturday we ate at Maestros Steak House. It was the priciest of the meals, excellent food and just an amazing show of high end rentals, douches in smedium shirts, tourists, and local celebs (we saw Joe Maddon, for instance).

Saturday morning, we saw Hunter Pence in Old Town. And on Sunday, I met Aaron Rowand while checking out of my hotel. Great weekend.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ate at Yard House on Thursday, which is a formula beer restaurant but surprisingly good. Friday was the annual pilgrimage to El Chorro -- amazing as always. Saturday we ate at Maestros Steak House. It was the priciest of the meals, excellent food and just an amazing show of high end rentals, douches in smedium shirts, tourists, and local celebs (we saw Joe Maddon, for instance).

Saturday morning, we saw Hunter Pence in Old Town. And on Sunday, I met Aaron Rowand while checking out of my hotel. Great weekend.
I had no idea before a few weeks back that Rowand and Shields are cousins. I wonder if Rowands stay here had anything to do with Shields not signing the 4/80. I doubt it, but it is possible.

What is Rowand doing these days? I would assume he is working with some team in some function if he is in AZ during ST...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As promised, my assessment of the team after watching them play the Royals yesterday. The pitching is improving, as is the defense and that is a good thing because for the life of me I still can't figure where the runs are going to come from with this lineup. The hitting is abysmal.

Still, if not for two horrendus base-running gaffes by Brown and Duvall which cost them two runs, they'd have been right in this game.

The highlight of the game, however, was when the Royals took the field and the P.A. guy says "Please welcome your Kansas City Royals, American League Champions". And after the smattering of applause died down, some Giants fan with a booming voice yells out "But not World Series Champions". It brought the house down.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As promised, my assessment of the team after watching them play the Royals yesterday. The pitching is improving, as is the defense and that is a good thing because for the life of me I still can't figure where the runs are going to come from with this lineup. The hitting is abysmal.

Still, if not for two horrendus base-running gaffes by Brown and Duvall which cost them two runs, they'd have been right in this game.

The highlight of the game, however, was when the Royals took the field and the P.A. guy says "Please welcome your Kansas City Royals, American League Champions". And after the smattering of applause died down, some Giants fan with a booming voice yells out "But not World Series Champions". It brought the house down.

tumblr_lzzbua608I1r49612.gif

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The heir of my house and I used to frequent the Yard House across from the Staples Center when we went to Clips/Lakers/Kings games in LA. The other places sound amazing.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town Scottsdale, which is really close to the stadium. We have stayed and the Indigo just north of the stadium, too. Loved the atmosphere.

I am now "home" in the Central Valley.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea before a few weeks back that Rowand and Shields are cousins. I wonder if Rowands stay here had anything to do with Shields not signing the 4/80. I doubt it, but it is possible.

What is Rowand doing these days? I would assume he is working with some team in some function if he is in AZ during ST...
from wiki: In 2015, Rowand served as a guest instructor for the Philadelphia Phillies and Chicago White Sox in Spring Training.[26][27] Rowand also coaches his son's baseball team.[26]

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants win 8-3 today over KC as Peavy goes 5 innings 3 ER. The bullpen was sharp pitching 4 scoreless innings by Lara , Machi, Strickland, and Casilla in that order.

Blanco 1-4 2B 1R 1 RBI

Panik 2-4 2B 1 RBI

Posey 1-2 2B 1 BB

Carbonell 2-2 HR 2 RBI's

Crawford 2-3 2B 1 R 1 SB

Duvall 1-4 3B 1 R 1 RBI

Perez 1-2 1 R 1 RBI 1 BB

Giants were hitting only .231 as a team coming into the game. 7 extra base hits is a good sign today for Giants. Carbonell hits his 2nd HR this spring.

Go Giants !!

Last edited:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he's doing some consulting with the ChiSox

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The heir of my house and I used to frequent the Yard House across from the Staples Center when we went to Clips/Lakers/Kings games in LA. The other places sound amazing.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town Scottsdale, which is really close to the stadium. We have stayed and the Indigo just north of the stadium, too. Loved the atmosphere.

I am now "home" in the Central Valley.

We usually stay at the Hilton Place in Old Town, but this year it was the Doubletree a mile away. Nicer hotel, and much larger. The CEO from my firm stayed there last weekend -- odd as he's worth tens of millions of $.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants free webcast streaming TV on SFGiants.com right now. Giants trailing 6-4 to CLE 4th inning .

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants lose 9-5 tonight as Vogelsong did not have his best giving up 6 ER 6 H 2 HR's over 4.2 innings.

Maxwell was a bright spot going 3-5 and 2 RBI's.

Affeldt had another tough outing giving up 3 R 2 ER in 1 inning of work. His ERA stands at 5.59 this Spring.

Romo was sharp striking out 3 in his inning of work.

Mejia 1.1 innings 0 ER 1 H ERA stands at 1.42 this Spring.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another free webcast today at 1:10 PM vs. COL on the West coast on SFGiants.com. Angel Pagan expected to play.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to the Giants futures game on Saturday. Still not sure what to expect, but I'll see some prospects I gather. I was anticipating getting the chance to see Ray Black, but sounds like he's still down with a minor injury and the Giants aren't going to take a chance. I'll post in the prospects thread what I see.

Hope the crowds aren't as bad, ideally most people are going to the "real" game at the Mariners stadium.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Susac looks so good. He has to be moved ahead of Sanchez on the depth chart.