• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2015

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Susac, Strickland and JCP optioned.

That means Hactor has won the BU C battle and Maxwell has likely won the #5 OF job. I would guess he gets the 40 spot of the loser between Machi and Kontos.

Only fights remaining are Kontos/Machi and Duffy/Adrianza. I expect Machi and Adrianza to win those, but I would not be shocked with any configuration.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That means Hactor has won the BU C battle and Maxwell has likely won the #5 OF job. I would guess he gets the 40 spot of the loser between Machi and Kontos.

Only fights remaining are Kontos/Machi and Duffy/Adrianza. I expect Machi and Adrianza to win those, but I would not be shocked with any configuration.

I care not about Machi/Kontos, they are the same pitcher to me. I really like Duffy, but think he'll be sent down, as he has options.

I liked what i saw of Maxwell last week. Athletic with power.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely sickening! Another instance where the bottom line is the deciding factor in a baseball decision.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let tzill know. It had better be Hacktor, Susser is the real deal. I love his approach at the plate, and loathe Hacktor's. If Hacktor is being kept around as Timmah's personal catcher, we have two issues rather than one.

I think there are a couple of things going on:
1. Whoever catches Broken Timmy will get beat up quite a bit behind the plate.
2. Susac needs 4 AB a day to develop as a hitter.
3. Susac is the catcher of the future.
4. Hacktor can hit some, and he's a switch hitter.

Add that all up, and it makes sense for Suss to start in Sac (see what I did there?)

I also expect SS to trade Hacktor later this year when some team is desperate for a catcher and Broken Timmy is out of the rotation.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF IF IF IF the Giants can wait until the trade deadline-ish, I think Hactor would be a VALUABLE part of a package for an impact player (OF/SP??).

If the Giants are out of it, he can be a sell-off piece to get a B- prospect or 2.

IF IF IF IF Garcia gets off to a good start, then Susac can be the CENTERPIECE of a package to get an impact player (OF/SP?)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just warming up for the season, here. Giants give up four runs in four innings vs the Chubs. Then score five runs in the 6th. Blanco begins and ends the inning with strikeouts. Leading off- called strike, called strike, called strike. Ending the inning- swinging strike, swinging strike, swinging strike.

:nod:

Panik with a solo bomb

Carbonell with a solid, bases clearing double (that should have been a triple for him).

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
{...} IF IF IF IF Garcia gets off to a good start, then Susac can be the CENTERPIECE of a package to get an impact player (OF/SP?)

I think this is not the year to trade Susac (unless, of course, it is the only way to get a key player in return). 1st, if the Giants expect Susac to be a good player, his value will generally be loads higher after spending at least (about) a season in the majors. 2ndly, It is very difficult to gauge most players' career path even after they move above High-A, let alone before they get there. Example: remember Guillermo Rodriguez ? Probably not - but I do. I watched him absolutely clobber the ball in San Jose about a decade ago, but he didn't have the same success in the higher levels. He eventually got two cups of coffee in the big leagues (one w/ SF, 1 with ... the orioles?) and is probably out of baseball by now. So 'Garcia has a great season in Augusta' is not a good reason to think Susac is expendable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is not the year to trade Susac (unless, of course, it is the only way to get a key player in return). 1st, if the Giants expect Susac to be a good player, his value will generally be loads higher after spending at least (about) a season in the majors. 2ndly, It is very difficult to gauge most players' career path even after they move above High-A, let alone before they get there. Example: remember Guillermo Rodriguez ? Probably not - but I do. I watched him absolutely clobber the ball in San Jose about a decade ago, but he didn't have the same success in the higher levels. He eventually got two cups of coffee in the big leagues (one w/ SF, 1 with ... the orioles?) and is probably out of baseball by now. So 'Garcia has a great season in Augusta' is not a good reason to think Susac is expendable.
This is all accurate. Another example is Knoedler. Or going back a bit further, Sasser and Nokes.

However, we currently have an all-world catcher, and a shown dedication by the org to continually have a pipeline of top-catchers flowing in (Williams, Posey, Joseph, Susac and Garcia all taken in the first 2 rounds within the last 8 drafts). Also, will having Susac keeping the pine warm in SF REALLY increase his value higher than it is now or after he has a good-to-decent year in Sacto?

Basically, if we are in the hunt, and we need a big bat in the OF (or 3B) or we need an Ace, and the other team wants a package centered on Susac, than Susac will be a former Giant, and I will not shed a tear.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all accurate. Another example is Knoedler. Or going back a bit further, Sasser and Nokes.

However, we currently have an all-world catcher, and a shown dedication by the org to continually have a pipeline of top-catchers flowing in (Williams, Posey, Joseph, Susac and Garcia all taken in the first 2 rounds within the last 8 drafts). Also, will having Susac keeping the pine warm in SF REALLY increase his value higher than it is now or after he has a good-to-decent year in Sacto?

Basically, if we are in the hunt, and we need a big bat in the OF (or 3B) or we need an Ace, and the other team wants a package centered on Susac, than Susac will be a former Giant, and I will not shed a tear.

I can see that C is a position that is basically blocked for minor leaguers for the foreseeable future. My story has Susac in Fresno until he can start 2-3 times a week in SF (starting in mid-late June, when Posey rests a day and plays 1B against LHP). And that's only 'if needed' - if they've already tanked, then he stays in Fresno until 2016. It's just that another team will send more back if he has shown continued success in the majors, vs. hitting well in AAA. And, as I said, if we get the piece we need then of course he is gone. As I've also said, I'd like to see him get some time at 1B to see if he can play there - that would up his value to both the Giants and a potential trade partner. And finally, I wouldn't ever call Williams a top-catcher - he was 'organizational depth' from the get-go, as was Wendell Fairley. Both were picked because they were 'signable' - serious overpicks in a draft when the Giants had SIX first-round picks.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
~off topic~
Watching Game 4 on CSN right now... :cloud9:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting - Belt played in LF today, and Duffy played 3B...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they dumped Brown today.

I don't really understand what people here saw in Brown. The guy had one good season in the low minors. He got thrown out stealing at very high rates.

This is The Show. Up or out. Gotta make room for someone else.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand what people here saw in Brown. The guy had one good season in the low minors. He got thrown out stealing at very high rates.

This is The Show. Up or out. Gotta make room for someone else.

Not a smart baserunner either from what little I saw of him. I've seen him get picked off first at least twice and run himself into a DP another time.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting - Belt played in LF today, and Duffy played 3B...
I'd love to see Duffy make the team but he will be a "business decision" casualty by ownership.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants got smoked by the A's tonight at Home. A's used the DH the Giants did not. I know it's still Spring games but the Giants looked flat tonight. I know they are all bored and shit but Man, people paid money out there tonight in the first game home and the Giants fell flat. I would like to kick some ass here these next two games to get the juices flowing. I am telling you..I would'nt mind Sabean pulling the trigger on a deal here or a pick up. Something ! Shake the shit up and get the boys attention. The season starts Monday and the Giants need to pick up the pace here and show some offense and pitch better. Making History is just around the corner . Fuck ..Who wants it ! Time to mount up and fucking ride boys.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing. Maxwell looked confused out there in RF tonight and is not ready playing defense out there. The Giants need to bring someone in to play that position pronto. I like the kid but he is not ready for that wall out there in RF.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok ... we're a few days away from the opening bell .... and as for myself ... I'm not sure what to expect from this team. We should be well past this ST mode and things should be somewhat settled. Just not what I expected. I haven't been impressed by the SP at all. Seems that most of them (except Bum's last start) seem to be getting hit pretty hard. Peavy looked horrible yesterday (at least from reading his line). Timmy hasn't seemed to fair much better and Cain and Huddy are still a question. Pen has looked good. Hitting is also somewhat scattered. Duffy, Belt and a few others seem to be rounding into form. The majority of them seems to be stuck around the mendoza line. Last year we had a torrid start (42-19) ... then went cold as ice ..... then played about .500 ball to close out the season. Then got hot again in the post season. I still think the question will be .... do we have enough to get us to the post season? I still believe that we are not a match for the Doggies over a 162 game schedule. I'd expect them to take the division by 6 or more games. I just think they are much more balanced then we are at the moment. That leaves us with a wild card position .... which is going to be a very crowed neighborhood!

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over-react much?

Cal, did you watch the game? I did. They were flat ..real flat. People paid big bucks for a pre season game and deserve their money back for the effort they got back. If the owners want big money for these tune up games then the fans deserve better then they got. The A's played with a DH and the Giants did not. What kind of bullshit is that. A total rip off last night.

Maxwell totally misjudged a fly ball off the wall and Pagan booted the rebound for a triple and error and it was fucking ugly. The kid is not ready for that yard.

The last thing is this..yes these games don't count but it's important to still go ballz out to win at least these last few games before the season starts. You don't just turn it on ..when Monday comes up. Bad fundamentals are bad fucking fundamentals and the Giants are better than that. They are playing sloppy losing baseball right now and it needs to change tonight..not Monday. Fuck...April is here..let's go !

One more thing..The A's have their Cock Walk going right now and the Giants need to show them they don't own them. Nut up and challenge those fuckers. I am tired of losing games to the A's. The Giants have to play the A's every year in the real season. Fuck ..nut up and win a few and send a message that they don't own the Giants.

Go Giants !!