• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2015

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Susac looks so good. He has to be moved ahead of Sanchez on the depth chart.

Actually it looks like Sanchez will start the season as the #2 catcher. Susac still has options and Sanchez does not. Susac is also from Roseville and this year Triple AAA is located in Sacramento so maybe it will give his family a chance to catch a few more of his games.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Birthday to 3 Time World Champion Buster Posey as the Giants BEAT L.A. 8-4 tonight in Cactus play in Arizona. The Giants might of played their best overall game of the year as they bust it open in the 9th as one of my favorites Duffy has a great AB lining a 2 run triple down the right field line. The boys had a little extra pep in their step tonight facing the boys in blue. Good news.

:suds::clap:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it looks like Sanchez will start the season as the #2 catcher. Susac still has options and Sanchez does not. Susac is also from Roseville and this year Triple AAA is located in Sacramento so maybe it will give his family a chance to catch a few more of his games.
Susac is also battling a sore wrist.

He or Sanchez will be traded before the end of the season, me thinks...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't let tzill know. It had better be Hacktor, Susser is the real deal. I love his approach at the plate, and loathe Hacktor's. If Hacktor is being kept around as Timmah's personal catcher, we have two issues rather than one.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Susac did go yard tonight so the wrist looks healthy.

It was a nice homer, straight away center field, went about 412ft. I thought the CFer caught it at first.

I do think Susac will be in AAA just so he can get consistent PT. That is, unless the Giants can find a deal including Sanchez, Adrianza, and Kontos/Machi, but it'll be tough to trade 3 young players with no minor league options so early in the season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Susac is going anywhere unless they get completely blown away with a deal. I'm actually surprised Sanchez hasn't been traded yet, but teams may have wanted to see him play again after his concussions last year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez had zero trade value after last season. His injury issues are not minor.

I do believe that Susser is the one who be traded. Not because the Giants like Sanchez better, but because they can actually get a nice piece in return for Susac. I am going to be keeping a close eye on Garcia this year. If he shows signs of life, that will pretty much guarantee Susac is dealt.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let tzill know. It had better be Hacktor, Susser is the real deal. I love his approach at the plate, and loathe Hacktor's. If Hacktor is being kept around as Timmah's personal catcher, we have two issues rather than one.
Agree 100%

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Hacktor is any of these, or in any combination:

1) One foul tip to the helmet way from retirement
2) A once acceptable hitter who is in rapid decline
3) Just Timmy's personal catcher

how much future could there really be for him here? Why would we keep him? Where is the upside?

Are they planning a longer-term move with Buster? It's not the point of my post and I'm not trying to be repetitively obnoxious. But it's the only scenario where I would see we'd want to keep Sanchez.

Sure we could get more more for Susac in a trade, but why? He seems to be the real deal with a good upside at a position of need.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hacktor is any of these, or in any combination:

1) One foul tip to the helmet way from retirement
2) A once acceptable hitter who is in rapid decline
3) Just Timmy's personal catcher

how much future could there really be for him here? Why would we keep him? Where is the upside?

Are they planning a longer-term move with Buster? It's not the point of my post and I'm not trying to be repetitively obnoxious. But it's the only scenario where I would see we'd want to keep Sanchez.

Sure we could get more more for Susac in a trade, but why? He seems to be the real deal with a good upside at a position of need.

First, I think they'd be crazy to trade Susac at this point (unless, of course, they get something fantastic for him, like a MLB-ready OF). It's also a bit premature to think he'll get traded. Heck, he has all 3 option years remaining! Why would the Giants just up and trade him when they can stash him in Fresno until needed? If they keep Sanchez over Susac out of ST, it will be about 2015 and not "the future" (well, it will be about *Susac's* future with the team, not Sanchez's).

Given that :
- a competent backup catcher isn't THAT much of a difference maker (especially early in the season)
- concerning above, Sanchez/Susac are prob going to get ONE start a week for the first month or two
- based on ST (pitching) stats, this team might be swimming in shit right out of the gate (April)
- The first month or two Posey isn't going to need "resting" as much as he will later in the season
- If Timmy pitches better throwing to Sanchez, then that IS good reason for him to stay (for 2015)
- Starting the season in AAA allows Susac to catch every day, dial in his bat with regular ABs, etc.
- If Susac spends 30 days in AAA to start 2015, he can be a Giant an extra season
- If Susac spends 70 days in AAA to start 2015, he won't be a "super-2" arb case (i.e., one extra cheap year)
- If Susac is called up in (say) mid-June, that is about when Posey will be getting two or three days a week off from catching, and backup catcher at that point *will* have a significant role in team success

Personally, I'd start Susac in AAA, let him play every day, hopefully get him some reps at 1B (at some point Belt won't be on the team, and a Posey/Susac tag-team at 1B/C could be sweet). See how Sanchez and Timmy do the first month of the season. If Timmy sucks then he goes to the pen and won't get a 'personal catcher', so release Sanchez and call up Susac. If things go well, then Susac spends a few months in Fresno, he stays a Giant an extra year. It seems a win-win situation to send Susac to Fresno. (Well, win for everybody but Susac.)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I think they'd be crazy to trade Susac at this point (unless, of course, they get something fantastic for him, like a MLB-ready OF). It's also a bit premature to think he'll get traded. Heck, he has all 3 option years remaining! Why would the Giants just up and trade him when they can stash him in Fresno until needed? If they keep Sanchez over Susac out of ST, it will be about 2015 and not "the future" (well, it will be about *Susac's* future with the team, not Sanchez's).

Given that :
- a competent backup catcher isn't THAT much of a difference maker (especially early in the season)
- concerning above, Sanchez/Susac are prob going to get ONE start a week for the first month or two
- based on ST (pitching) stats, this team might be swimming in shit right out of the gate (April)
- The first month or two Posey isn't going to need "resting" as much as he will later in the season
- If Timmy pitches better throwing to Sanchez, then that IS good reason for him to stay (for 2015)
- Starting the season in AAA allows Susac to catch every day, dial in his bat with regular ABs, etc.
- If Susac spends 30 days in AAA to start 2015, he can be a Giant an extra season
- If Susac spends 70 days in AAA to start 2015, he won't be a "super-2" arb case (i.e., one extra cheap year)
- If Susac is called up in (say) mid-June, that is about when Posey will be getting two or three days a week off from catching, and backup catcher at that point *will* have a significant role in team success

Personally, I'd start Susac in AAA, let him play every day, hopefully get him some reps at 1B (at some point Belt won't be on the team, and a Posey/Susac tag-team at 1B/C could be sweet). See how Sanchez and Timmy do the first month of the season. If Timmy sucks then he goes to the pen and won't get a 'personal catcher', so release Sanchez and call up Susac. If things go well, then Susac spends a few months in Fresno, he stays a Giant an extra year. It seems a win-win situation to send Susac to Fresno. (Well, win for everybody but Susac.)

What?@? You've already traded him to the Astros?!?

:yo:

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marty Lurie just reported that Nate Schierholtz opted out of his contract today and is a free agent. Will the Giants talk to him for insurance? Food for thought.

Nate sure does play a sweet RF at AT&T with a killer arm.

Could be this years Ishikawa. Local boy comes home.

Last edited:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marty Lurie just reported that Nate Schierholtz opted out of his contract today and is a free agent. Will the Giants talk to him for insurance? Food for thought.
I always liked Schierholtz and thought he never got a full and fair shake, although I also know he had issues with management. If he's not hurt, and has his mind right, I'd love to see him in RF again. Bang-bang...

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Schierholtz and thought he never got a full and fair shake, although I also know he had issues with management. If he's not hurt, and has his mind right, I'd love to see him in RF again. Bang-bang...

I don't think Nate burned any bridges in SF. He just wanted to play. I always liked Nate. It would'nt be a bad idea to bring him back as insurance for Pence and Pagan this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Nate burned any bridges in SF. He just wanted to play. I always liked Nate. It would'nt be a bad idea to bring him back as insurance for Pence and Pagan this year.
I don't remember the exact story, but I do recall that bridges were, in fact, burnt upon his departure. Didn't have some things to say about Bochy?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember the exact story, but I do recall that bridges were, in fact, burnt upon his departure. Didn't have some things to say about Bochy?
Former Giant Nate Schierholtz Didn't Care For Bruce Bochy's Managing - Around the Foghorn - A San Francisco Giants Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

“It got to the point [in San Francisco] where I didn’t see myself having an everyday role,” said Schierholtz, a 28-year-old left-handed hitter. “I felt like I needed a chance to earn more playing time, maybe get 100 at-bats in a row, but it wasn’t going to happen.”

Schierholtz said he spoke to Giants manager Bruce Bochy about his situation.

“I felt like I was on a short leash,” he said. “I felt like I was series-to-series, if you didn’t get a hit you were back on the bench. We didn’t see eye to eye. But overall, San Francisco treated me great. I have a lot of great memories.”​

This doesn't sound very personal. I can't believe there would be a real problem bringing him back.

Bang-bang...

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Giant Nate Schierholtz Didn't Care For Bruce Bochy's Managing - Around the Foghorn - A San Francisco Giants Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

“It got to the point [in San Francisco] where I didn’t see myself having an everyday role,” said Schierholtz, a 28-year-old left-handed hitter. “I felt like I needed a chance to earn more playing time, maybe get 100 at-bats in a row, but it wasn’t going to happen.”

“I felt like I was on a short leash,” he said. “I felt like I was series-to-series, if you didn’t get a hit you were back on the bench. We didn’t see eye to eye. But overall, San Francisco treated me great. I have a lot of great memories.”​

This doesn't sound very personal. I can't believe there would be a real problem bringing him back.

Bang-bang...

Great video...great song. Thanks for that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bang-bang...

I always liked Nate too. Good complimentary player. He could get hot for a couple of weeks at a time and he usually played solid defense.