• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2015

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game in Maryvale today. Timely hitting, solid D, and Vogey pitched shutout ball for 4.2 innings. Panik and Belt homered. Maxwell made a terrific diving catch in right. Crawford had a brilliant play in the 8th. Romo got the save. This was Giants baseball we've come to expect and love. Vogey got a nice ovation when he left. Crowd was probably 60-40 Giants fans in Milwaukee's park.

I will add that Kelly is in for a long season at 3rd. He had runners at 1st and 2nd with two ours and a 3-1 lead, when a single was blooped to right center. Runner would have easily scored, but Kelly held him about 30 feet down the line. I think he'll be fine, but we are going to miss Flannery.

Couldn't get tix to tomorrow night's game vs. Reds. Will see A's and Dogs @ Hohokam.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spitballing so don't start pelting me with rotten tomatoes here, but how does Ethier stack up against Craig or Venable? I know he's pretty diva-ish, but maybe, perhaps a viable option??

:behindsofa:

Off subject, but good to know we can have gifs as our avatars now!

On subject, I don't think the Dodgers would help us out in a trade, so they may be willing to trade us Ethier. Craig is awful.

I like the Venable idea, I also liked Seth Smith before they traded him too. But if SD is serious about making a run at this, I doubt they would be inclined to help out a division rival either, or more likely a wild-card rival. Let's be real, LA is probably going to run the division again, but the Pads and Giants might have a good battle for second and those wild-card spots. If SD hands over Venable while Pence and possibly Pagan are out, they'd be blowing a chance to gain some quick ground on the Giants.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game in Maryvale today. Timely hitting, solid D, and Vogey pitched shutout ball for 4.2 innings. Panik and Belt homered. Maxwell made a terrific diving catch in right. Crawford had a brilliant play in the 8th. Romo got the save. This was Giants baseball we've come to expect and love. Vogey got a nice ovation when he left. Crowd was probably 60-40 Giants fans in Milwaukee's park.

I will add that Kelly is in for a long season at 3rd. He had runners at 1st and 2nd with two ours and a 3-1 lead, when a single was blooped to right center. Runner would have easily scored, but Kelly held him about 30 feet down the line. I think he'll be fine, but we are going to miss Flannery.

Couldn't get tix to tomorrow night's game vs. Reds. Will see A's and Dogs @ Hohokam.

After seeing Maxwell since you've been there, and with Pagan's news, do you think Maxwell has a good shot at making the squad? Sounds like he's got great athleticism, and some pop.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing Maxwell since you've been there, and with Pagan's news, do you think Maxwell has a good shot at making the squad? Sounds like he's got great athleticism, and some pop.

I haven't seen enough to make an intelligent response. Maxwell, by all reports, is not noted for his defense, but does have some pop. Maxwell is tall and lanky, looks a little like Belt. With Pence out, I could see him sticking for a month or so.

Perez has looked pretty decent this spring, and will certainly be favored to be an extra OF.

Was delighted to see Vogelsong pitch so well yesterday, and the crowd's reaction to him was really touching. He got a standing ovation after every inning.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The glaring holes, per ESPN

San Francisco Giants, power hitter
sf.gif
World champs or not, this Giants team had some pretty big holes to fill in the offseason when free-agent hitters Pablo Sandoval and Michael Morse signed elsewhere. Replacing their 32 homers with two players -- Casey McGehee andNorichika Aoki -- who combined for five homers last season will make it difficult to outscore opponents in 2015.

Aside from World Series MVP Madison Bumgarner, the Giants' starting rotation is also filled with question marks, and it's unlikely it will be the driving force behind another playoff run. The offense will have to be better than average and it's simply not right now, especially with Hunter Pence (fractured forearm) on the shelf the first few weeks of the season.

The rest of the list (let me know if anyone wants the details since it's from an Insider article)

Boston Red Sox: No. 1 Starter
New York Mets: Shortstop
New York Yankees: Starting pitching
Toronto Blue Jays: Late-inning relief help
Arizona Diamondbacks: Starting catcher
Detroit Tigers: Late-inning reliever
Cincinnati Reds: Setup man
Cleveland Indians: Starting pitching

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The glaring holes, per ESPN

San Francisco Giants, power hitter
sf.gif
World champs or not, this Giants team had some pretty big holes to fill in the offseason when free-agent hitters Pablo Sandoval and Michael Morse signed elsewhere. Replacing their 32 homers with two players -- Casey McGehee andNorichika Aoki -- who combined for five homers last season will make it difficult to outscore opponents in 2015.

Aside from World Series MVP Madison Bumgarner, the Giants' starting rotation is also filled with question marks, and it's unlikely it will be the driving force behind another playoff run. The offense will have to be better than average and it's simply not right now, especially with Hunter Pence (fractured forearm) on the shelf the first few weeks of the season.

The rest of the list (let me know if anyone wants the details since it's from an Insider article)

Boston Red Sox: No. 1 Starter
New York Mets: Shortstop
New York Yankees: Starting pitching
Toronto Blue Jays: Late-inning relief help
Arizona Diamondbacks: Starting catcher
Detroit Tigers: Late-inning reliever
Cincinnati Reds: Setup man
Cleveland Indians: Starting pitching
Basically, you can't argue with this. This is nothing we haven't said ourselves.

However, Belt should play most of the year (his injuries have been of the fluke variety, so there is in reason to believe he is "fragile") and Craw has been trending in the right direction as well. Will either of those compensate for Sandoval and Morse? Probably not, but I look forward to finding out.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, you can't argue with this. This is nothing we haven't said ourselves.

However, Belt should play most of the year (his injuries have been of the fluke variety, so there is in reason to believe he is "fragile") and Craw has been trending in the right direction as well. Will either of those compensate for Sandoval and Morse? Probably not, but I look forward to finding out.
Yeah, I don't like hearing that bit about Belt " if he can stay healthy?". That's just uninformed. It's not like his body is falling apart, he got dinged up by weird stuff. Not quite Affeldt territory, but flirting with it. :heh:

Further, the Giants have shown it can be done without massive power. Timely hitting, baby!! It rules!

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting P Ryu for the Dodgers is having problems with shoulder inflammation and is being shut down for the next three days to further evaluate his injury. There is a possibility he could start the season on the DL.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always think it's very difficult for a WS title defender the following year. The expectations are very high and every fan of a 'losing' team from that year are quick to point out just how lucky we were. In a way they are right. You have to have a good portion of luck to go all the way. For me personally, the Giants are a strange team. We are not and haven't been dominant through a 162 game schedule. We are competitive but not extraordinary. This year will be no different. But I do believe it will be more difficult than last year. I believe that over a 162 game schedule the Doggies are a better team. They are constructed for the long grind. They have both offense and pitching. Not great but good. I think they win the West. That makes us a WC again. Not impossible by any means but also not a cake walk. The Pads, at least on paper seems as good as us. Their upgrades are quite good. I think you're going to see 5 or 6 teams battling for the 2 WC positions. If we get there ... then the picture changes dramatically. It's now an 18 game season and things are different. As I said once before ... in 162 games we are competitive but in an 18 game slate we can be dominate. Bum clearly showed that last year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always think it's very difficult for a WS title defender the following year. The expectations are very high and every fan of a 'losing' team from that year are quick to point out just how lucky we were. In a way they are right. You have to have a good portion of luck to go all the way. For me personally, the Giants are a strange team. We are not and haven't been dominant through a 162 game schedule. We are competitive but not extraordinary. This year will be no different. But I do believe it will be more difficult than last year. I believe that over a 162 game schedule the Doggies are a better team. They are constructed for the long grind. They have both offense and pitching. Not great but good. I think they win the West. That makes us a WC again. Not impossible by any means but also not a cake walk. The Pads, at least on paper seems as good as us. Their upgrades are quite good. I think you're going to see 5 or 6 teams battling for the 2 WC positions. If we get there ... then the picture changes dramatically. It's now an 18 game season and things are different. As I said once before ... in 162 games we are competitive but in an 18 game slate we can be dominate. Bum clearly showed that last year.
I am more and more OFF the Padre bandwagon every day.

Their infield consists of...

Norris - 118 OPS+
Alonso - 97 OPS+
Gyorko - 79 OPS+
Amarista - 76 OPS+
Middlebrooks - 48 OPS+

Yikes.

Then, with their new OF, the D out there will be CRAZY bad. And few seem to remember that Myers was HORRIBLE in '14 (77 OPS+ in '14 -- For his career, he has played 175 games of 105 OPS+; not exactly elite, and trending in the wrong direction)

Their Rotation looks pretty good, but not elite...

Shields - Good #1, but not an Ace, in my eyes
Ross - Very good #2
Kennedy - Had a good year in '14, but it was really only the 3rd good year of his career
Cashner - Potential Ace, but he needs to stay on the field to see that potential

Not sure about their depth past that. I think Despaigne and Morrow are fighting for the #5 job.

And they still do not have a winning culture.

Do they have the potential to do big things? Sure. But I like the Giants position better than the Padres, even with the OF injuries we are dealing with right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary moment at Hohokam today. Went with my son to see Dogs at A's. Just couldn't pull the trigger of $45 seats on the grass for tonight's Giants-Reds game at Scottsdale,

Kershaw was hit in the face by a liner and went down like he'd been shot. He was OK, evidently he lost a tooth. Finished the inning and the next inning. His stuff was sick. Threw some mid-90's fastballs to Coco Crisp, then K'ed him with a 72 mph 12-6 curve. That's just not fair.

As much as I hate the Dogs, I was glad to see he was OK.even in the A's park, when Kershaw went down, you could have heard a pin drop. And the lemonade guy, like grandma made!

Zito pitch three more scoreless innings for the A's today.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary moment at Hohokam today. Went with my son to see Dogs at A's. Just couldn't pull the trigger of $45 seats on the grass for tonight's Giants-Reds game at Scottsdale,

Kershaw was hit in the face by a liner and went down like he'd been shot. He was OK, evidently he lost a tooth. Finished the inning and the next inning. His stuff was sick. Threw some mid-90's fastballs to Coco Crisp, then K'ed him with a 72 mph 12-6 curve. That's just not fair.

As much as I hate the Dogs, I was glad to see he was OK.even in the A's park, when Kershaw went down, you could have heard a pin drop. And the lemonade guy, like grandma made!

That guy has been there every year I've gone, which is about 7 years running now.

On Kershaw, that's good news to hear he was alright if it was a shot towards the face. If the Dodgers want just to be sure he's fine and sit him out a month, that'd be even better :hope:

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$45 for grass seats is a little steep for a spring game. I am trying to get tickets for Opening Day in SF and they want $150 for a standing room ticket which is ridiculous. I am a Giants fan but damn it's getting tougher to go to games when they throw $150 in your face for a regular season opener and you have to stand.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well good news from Spring Training this week as Cain, Vogelsong,Peavy, and Hudson(Tonight) all have good outings and are coming into form. Not much offense though as tonight mostly light hit balls. Panik had a good night. Belt had another RBI to left. Giants got some help from Reds pitcher Lorenzen who walked 5 hitters (4 in one inning).Strickland had a rough night tonight after a Duffy error put him in a jam in the 9th and was not able to finish off the Reds in the 9th. Tyler Rodgers the submariner righty gave up a loud 2 run double to blow the lead in the 9th. Giants pitchers were alright tonight except for that poor 9th.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$45 for grass seats is a little steep for a spring game. I am trying to get tickets for Opening Day in SF and they want $150 for a standing room ticket which is ridiculous. I am a Giants fan but damn it's getting tougher to go to games when they throw $150 in your face for a regular season opener and you have to stand.

Alas, this is becoming the norm here. Unless you get tickets the day they go on sale in January, all we are left with is Stubhub, etc.

There are tons of people at every game, which is great for the teams, but it can be tough on the fans. It took us 45 minutes to get into parking for Hohokam today, and over an hour for Maryvale yesterday. Those are "neighborhood" ballparks, though. Surprise, Goodyear, Peoria, Camelback, Mesa are all either in industrial areas, or away from developments with lots of parking.

I really like coming down here and seeing the games, but it is getting much more expensive and much more difficult to navigate the crowds.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy has been there every year I've gone, which is about 7 years running now.

On Kershaw, that's good news to hear he was alright if it was a shot towards the face. If the Dodgers want just to be sure he's fine and sit him out a month, that'd be even better :hope:

Why take the risk? Sit him for the entire season. :D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants just coughed up a three run lead in the 9th, with Chris Dominguez delivering the killer hit.

Error on Duffy
Strikeout
Single
Walk
Single
Double
Groundout
Single
Walk
Caught Stealing

Strickland on the mound for most of it. I love the 95 mph fastball, but unfortunately, so do the hitters this spring.

And HicKKKKs leads of the bottom of the 9th with a FPOM. :L

Looks like Huddy did well, though, 3.2 innings, 1 hit (homer), 1 run, 1 walk, 4 K's.

Last edited:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh...Strickland. Hope he likes Sacramento.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh...Strickland. Hope he likes Sacramento.

Strikland needs to trust his fastball more. He was too fancy out there trying too many off speed pitches. I realize it's part of his learning new pitches but he needs to trust his bread and butter pitch especially when he gets ahead in the count. He seemed to be trying to fool hitters tonight instead of just blowing them away especially with a 3 run lead.

He needs to concentrate on locating his fastball and sending hitters back to the dugout with K's around their necks.