• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was at today's game (in Scottsdale), here's what I saw...

Blackley wasn't fooling anyone. Righties crushed every ball they hit and lefties were taking him the other way every time. He did not look very good out there (but his curve was decent).

Posey didn't have much action at 1st, but he did have a play on a bunt where he had to charge in and throw home to get the out. He also missed a homer by about 12 feet, but got a double out of it. He seemed to move around fine. I am not as worried about him as I am about Franchez and Volgy.

Crawford almost made 2 highlight plays but came up short on both of them. One was a liner that he had to jump up for a dunk to reach, but it went off the tip of his glove. The second was a grounder up the middle that he juggled which gave the runner just enough time.

There are A LOT more of stupid Giants Fans homers than I've seen in the past. Giants are playing the field, there was a play at second, a pickle and the second basemen threw the ball to the next guy and bumped the runner as he went by. Ump saw and granted the runner... EVERY Giants fan around me booed the ump like he was Scott Cousins on a play was was clearly called right. I was a little embarrassed as a G fan.

Giants pitching wasn't very good overall, besides Casilla. Affeldt pitched well for 2 batters but then was getting rocked.

I had more on my mind but can't seem to think of it right now, but overall wasn't too impressed with the pitching, but liked what I saw from Melky, Posey, Chez3 and Arias at the plate.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the "knee bends" version of Zito is just like "quicker slide step" Zito and "higher arm slot" Zito

all still better than "wild bill moustache" Zito

Unless of course he's just going by the spring training tagline and working on a few things..like his 80's belt high meatball, then I stand corrected and he's right on track.

I'm starting to envision Zito starts as the unofficial rest the starters day again

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the "knee bends" version of Zito is just like "quicker slide step" Zito and "higher arm slot" Zito

Unless of course he's just going by the spring training tagline and working on a few things..like his 80's belt high meatball, then I stand corrected and he's right on track.

I'm starting to envision Zito starts as the unofficial rest the starters day again

You have to hope if he sucks it up some more they will eventually bench or phantom DL him, likewise Huff.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And go with 3 starters? Volgy is expected to start on the DL

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At game again today...

This just in, Zito sucks. He could not find the plate today and when he did, he was hit hard. Gave up back to back jacks, and both homers were big. Everyone pitched well in relief though, especially Ortiz.

Melky look really good out there, he has a cannon and isn't afraid to use it. Having him and (possibly) Nate at the corners should have teams second guessing running on us (which saves Posey a bit). I'm excited for him this year.

Prospect Chris Dominguez intrigues me (and a lot of others). He's a HUGE power bat at 3B and has a rocket arm, but is obviously blocked by Pablo. 1B doesn't make much sense for him because his arm goes to waist and Belt/Pill/Posey play there. So the Giants put him in RF today and I was excited to see him play. Not much went his way, but he did have to range to his right and made a nice running catch in front of the CF. Look for him in the OF more this year in the minors, Giants need help there.

Also got to see Panik play a couple innings. Only 2 balls came his way, one was a simple charge and throw to first. The second he had to dive to his right but couldn't reach it. Crawford may have gotten to it, but there wasn't going to be a throw anyway. He had one AB, reached base on a strikeout. His family was right next to me, didn't know the entire game till the ninth inning. Wish I did and could've gotten an inside scoop.

Towards the end of the game, White Sox and Giants fans got into a chanting battle. Giants fans won on the road, our cheers lasted longer and were louder.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And go with 3 starters? Volgy is expected to start on the DL

Remember when it was Timmy that got the B lineup? Throw Zeets but give him all the backups+posey scheduled rest day.

I'm crossing fingers vogey's just 2 weeks away from back to normal.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At game again today...

This just in, Zito sucks. He could not find the plate today and when he did, he was hit hard. Gave up back to back jacks, and both homers were big. Everyone pitched well in relief though, especially Ortiz.

Melky look really good out there, he has a cannon and isn't afraid to use it. Having him and (possibly) Nate at the corners should have teams second guessing running on us (which saves Posey a bit). I'm excited for him this year.

Prospect Chris Dominguez intrigues me (and a lot of others). He's a HUGE power bat at 3B and has a rocket arm, but is obviously blocked by Pablo. 1B doesn't make much sense for him because his arm goes to waist and Belt/Pill/Posey play there. So the Giants put him in RF today and I was excited to see him play. Not much went his way, but he did have to range to his right and made a nice running catch in front of the CF. Look for him in the OF more this year in the minors, Giants need help there.

Also got to see Panik play a couple innings. Only 2 balls came his way, one was a simple charge and throw to first. The second he had to dive to his right but couldn't reach it. Crawford may have gotten to it, but there wasn't going to be a throw anyway. He had one AB, reached base on a strikeout. His family was right next to me, didn't know the entire game till the ninth inning. Wish I did and could've gotten an inside scoop.

Towards the end of the game, White Sox and Giants fans got into a chanting battle. Giants fans won on the road, our cheers lasted longer and were louder.

How did Nate look?

And Zito just had to give up a bomb to that azz AJ..

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Nate look?

And Zito just had to give up a bomb to that azz AJ..

Nate had a quiet day, I think a strikeout or 2. Didn't do anything extraordinary.

And every Giants fan thought the same thing as the ball went out.. why HIM?!

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At game again today...

Wait. Lemme go over this again:

Huge. Power bat. ...goes to waist. Are you talking about Panda?

grammarnazi.jpg

:peep:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's lineup, Vogey back:

Pagan CF
Cabrera LF
Sandoval 3B
Posey C
Huff 1B
Schierholtz RF
Theriot SS
Fontenot 2B
H. Sanchez DH
Vogelsong SP

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait. Lemme go over this again:

Huge. Power bat. ...goes to waist. Are you talking about Panda?

grammarnazi.jpg

:peep:

Serious reppage, Herr Grammar Nazi. Heil Spelling! Heil Grammar! Go Giants!

BTW, my son and I are going to today's game against the Royals. We have seen the Angels and Rangers, and the Brewers and Dodgers. Got to meet Ron Roenicke. The Brewers may not miss Fielder as much as I thought they would. Kershaw looked awesome yesterday. He'd sure look a lot better if he wasn't wearing Dodger blue.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Giants announced the release of right-handed pitcher Ramon Ortiz on Monday, and the reassignment of four players -- Shane Loux, Andrew Kown, Wilmin Rodriguez and left-hander Brian Burres

Under terms of the new CBA, the Giants would have owed Ortiz an assignment bonus of $100,000 if he was a member of the organization at a certain date late in the spring.

Ortiz appeared in 20 games with the Cubs as a reliever and another two as a starter in 2011, posting a 1-2 record and a 4.86 ERA. He was signed to a minor league contract in February.

Read more: Giants release Ortiz, reassign four others
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's lineup, Vogey back:

Pagan CF
Cabrera LF
Sandoval 3B
Posey C
Huff 1B
Schierholtz RF
Theriot SS
Fontenot 2B
H. Sanchez DH
Vogelsong SP

Pretty darn close to what we might see opening day.

Still think Belt has a shot at 1B, Nate hasn't shown much and Belt is raking. And Manny might be in there at second.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants announced the release of right-handed pitcher Ramon Ortiz on Monday, and the reassignment of four players -- Shane Loux, Andrew Kown, Wilmin Rodriguez and left-hander Brian Burres

Under terms of the new CBA, the Giants would have owed Ortiz an assignment bonus of $100,000 if he was a member of the organization at a certain date late in the spring.

Ortiz appeared in 20 games with the Cubs as a reliever and another two as a starter in 2011, posting a 1-2 record and a 4.86 ERA. He was signed to a minor league contract in February.

Read more: Giants release Ortiz, reassign four others
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

He looked better than fucking Zito yesterday... Shame.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Monday should have provided all good omens for Eric Surkamp. One of his prime competitors for rotation depth, Ramon Ortiz, was given his release. Another, Brian Burres, was reassigned to minor league camp.

But Surkamp's outlook was far from rosy.

He went for an MRI exam on his left elbow and is awaiting results. Surkamp didn't bounce back after throwing 90 pitches on Wednesday; he couldn't even loosen up enough to play catch the previous two days.

"I tried and I just couldn't do it," the 24-year-old left-hander said. "I've had normal stuff, soreness and fatigue, when I'm done throwing. But nothing to the point where I miss time."

Surkamp is hoping a week of rest will allow inflammation to calm down. Regardless, the injury comes at a bad time for the Giants, who already were thin on rotation depth. Surkamp was supposed to back up Ryan Vogelsong on Monday, who is making his first Cactus League appearance after missing time with a lower back strain. Vogelsong won't be ready to start the season.

Burres remains in the organization and will begin at Triple-A Fresno. The Giants also might turn to Yusmeiro Petit, who pitched well Saturday after filling out a split-squad roster. Petit started 17 games for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2009 and will get the assignment Wednesday against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Petit will replace Madison Bumgarner, who will pitch in minor league camp rather than give a free look to an NL West rival.

Expect the Giants to survey the trade market, too -- maybe even fetching an arm for either Ryan Theriot or Mike Fontenot.

Surkamp was having a good spring, with each outing better than the previous one.

"It's disappointing," he said. "I was feeling good. My arm and body were feeling good and I was starting to get there with my stuff. ... Now's the time to get it right."

The Giants will get Arizona's Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson and Josh Collmenter -- three right-handers -- in the season-opening series that begins April 6 at Chase Field. The Giants will send Tim Lincecum, Bumgarner and Matt Cain.

The Giants will have Barry Zito pitch the opener of the next series April 9 at Coors Field. After that, they have a day off and can skip the No.5 spot. They'll need a fifth starter April 15 and could activate Vogelsong from the disabled list to take the ball if he's ready.

Read more: Surkamp goes for tests on sore elbow

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Monday should have provided all good omens for Eric Surkamp. One of his prime competitors for rotation depth, Ramon Ortiz, was given his release. Another, Brian Burres, was reassigned to minor league camp.

But Surkamp's outlook was far from rosy.

He went for an MRI exam on his left elbow and is awaiting results. Surkamp didn't bounce back after throwing 90 pitches on Wednesday; he couldn't even loosen up enough to play catch the previous two days.

"I tried and I just couldn't do it," the 24-year-old left-hander said. "I've had normal stuff, soreness and fatigue, when I'm done throwing. But nothing to the point where I miss time."

Surkamp is hoping a week of rest will allow inflammation to calm down. Regardless, the injury comes at a bad time for the Giants, who already were thin on rotation depth. Surkamp was supposed to back up Ryan Vogelsong on Monday, who is making his first Cactus League appearance after missing time with a lower back strain. Vogelsong won't be ready to start the season.

Burres remains in the organization and will begin at Triple-A Fresno. The Giants also might turn to Yusmeiro Petit, who pitched well Saturday after filling out a split-squad roster. Petit started 17 games for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2009 and will get the assignment Wednesday against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Petit will replace Madison Bumgarner, who will pitch in minor league camp rather than give a free look to an NL West rival.

Expect the Giants to survey the trade market, too -- maybe even fetching an arm for either Ryan Theriot or Mike Fontenot.

Surkamp was having a good spring, with each outing better than the previous one.

"It's disappointing," he said. "I was feeling good. My arm and body were feeling good and I was starting to get there with my stuff. ... Now's the time to get it right."

The Giants will get Arizona's Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson and Josh Collmenter -- three right-handers -- in the season-opening series that begins April 6 at Chase Field. The Giants will send Tim Lincecum, Bumgarner and Matt Cain.

The Giants will have Barry Zito pitch the opener of the next series April 9 at Coors Field. After that, they have a day off and can skip the No.5 spot. They'll need a fifth starter April 15 and could activate Vogelsong from the disabled list to take the ball if he's ready.

Read more: Surkamp goes for tests on sore elbow

That means that Cain is likely going to pitch the home opener. I am happy with that.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riot just took a pickoff throw off his face...probably not serious. Vogey goes 2.2, one ER.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pagan now 0-3, hitting .180.

Yikes.