• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Ball 2012.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
BTW there was a mini scrimmage tonight:

From Andy Bitter

Virginia Tech ran 47 plays tonight in its brief scrimmage at the end of practice. Sounds like it was kind of sloppy. Some stats

Newsome said he'd have to watch tape of scrimmage but said he didn't feel OL was very productive. "And we're in the production business"

OL coach Curt Newsome said RT Vinston Painter "has been a pleasant surprise" so far. Said he's much more confident as a player than he was.

Defense -- Vandyke 4 tck, 1 sack; Marshall 3 tck, 1 sack; Roth 2 tck, 2 sacks; Collins 3 tck, 1 TFL, DiNardo 5 tck, Laiti 3 tck

Receiving -- C. Fuller 2-18, Knowles 1-8, Mellstrom 2-43, TD, Reeves 1-15. Mellstrom's TD catch was a 32-yarder from Brian Rody

Passing -- Thomas 3-4, 24 yards, Leal 2-5, 23 yards. Rushing -- Holmes 4-4, Coleman 4-6, Scales 5-17, M. Taylor 2-34.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
47 plays and at least 4 sacks? I'm sure the qb was down on touch but damn

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It sounded like leg cramps too me which can be incpacitating at times. New cleats, not enough water, lack of use can all cause that and you just have to grit through it.

agree and if they are bad enough you can be extremely sore for days.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FWIW, it doesn't look like the starting skill players got all that much PT, so logic would say that the projected starting OL didn't either.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh its going to be a long year. I wish one year we would have a kick ass OL. Seems to have been the missing piece lately.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

at least they are recognizing that there is a prob, thats a lot better than saying that the OL is a strength then finding out otherwise in the fall.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ugh its going to be a long year. I wish one year we would have a kick ass OL. Seems to have been the missing piece lately.

I really feel like we have had the "skill position" players to compete with anyone in the past couple of years but like you said we've been an OL away.

FTR some DL depth would have helped also.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
another note from AB:

Frank Beamer said RB Michael Holmes stood out in the scrimmage, although he only had 4 carries for 4 yards. "He's a guy you kind of notice."

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, it doesn't look like the starting skill players got all that much PT, so logic would say that the projected starting OL didn't either.

"Roth -2 sacks" isn't exactly a starter either

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really feel like we have had the "skill position" players to compete with anyone in the past couple of years but like you said we've been an OL away.

You mean like every year?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hokies Journal‏@HokiesJournalReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

2) Bud Foster is pleased w/ Kyshoen Jarrett and Detrick Bonner's play at safety so far. Both told me this DB experiment seems to fit styles

3) When discussing Brent Benedict's move to guard, Curt Newsome said "space is not his friend." Much more on Ga. transfer in coming days.

4) CB Kyle Fuller said his calf injury last wk wasn't serious. Added that brother Kendall will make college choice next Jan. at Army game

5) Stinespring didn't get into too many specifics, but tempo has been point of emphasis for offense. Smiled when more no huddle came up

Forgot something: OL Caleb Farris has been bothered by a minor injury. Should be back Sat. Newsome said he's emerged as top reserve OL.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Matt Jones‏@MattJonesCT

Close

Vinston Painter: "(Coaches) basically wanted to see me step up my entire game. Speed… and basically being a force out there."

Bryan Stinespring: "We’ve worked a lot of spread sets in conjunction with our fullback and tight end based sets."

Stinespring: "We’re trying to increase our tempo in everything that we do."

CFB: "What I’m really pleased with is the effort and how we worked against each other. As long as you’ve got effort, we’ll get better."

CFB: "The guy that you kind of notice a couple times is Michael Holmes. He’s got good moves, power and speed."

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Roth -2 sacks" isn't exactly a starter either

Yea, that was my point.... seeing as how low guys on the totem pole are getting decent reps on the defense, then its probable that the guys they are facing are of similar standing on the totem pole. DL line guys (especially ends) usually progress at a faster rate than OL guys, so it makes since in theory at least.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure what everyone expected of an offensive line during the first Spring scrimmage, especially when they're finding and breaking in four new starters. I'd be MUCH more concerned if this was the result of the first scrimmage of the Fall.

Like Camfantasy said, the DLs are usually much farther along at this point than the OLs.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea, that was my point.... seeing as how low guys on the totem pole are getting decent reps on the defense, then its probable that the guys they are facing are of similar standing on the totem pole. DL line guys (especially ends) usually progress at a faster rate than OL guys, so it makes since in theory at least.

Defense is always ahead of offense at this stage of practice. Too early to tell how this team will play to be honest.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Defense is always ahead of offense at this stage of practice. Too early to tell how this team will play to be honest.

Gayle and Collins are going to make a lot of opposing OTs look bad this coming year. If our OTs learn to hold their own against those guys, we'll do okay.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont buy into spring struggles much as a forecast for the season. Especially this early in the spring. It is the first time these guys (especially the OL) have practices as an entire group. Like cam said, defense is always ahead of the offense this early.