• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Week 7 Discussion Thread

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
23. Miami

Come on, dude. They are horrible.

They aren't horrible, but they aren't good either. I can't see anyone else who deserves to be ranked though. Stanford lost, SDSU doesn't deserve it, TCU lost, Hawaii lost. Can't see any other team that could take their spot. One of their losses is to LSU who just knocked off #2.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't horrible, but they aren't good either. I can't see anyone else who deserves to be ranked though. Stanford lost, SDSU doesn't deserve it, TCU lost, Hawaii lost. Can't see any other team that could take their spot. One of their losses is to LSU who just knocked off #2.
They were also destroyed by LSU. There are several mid-majors with 1 loss who deserve to be ranked ahead of them IMO. They have better resumes and fewer losses. I mean, what's Miami's best win? Toledo?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have Florida top 5 but people are acting like it's crazy . It's not . Their resume is very similar to Michigan , Texas, LSU and every team struggles some games ( except for Bama apparently ) so saying a 10 point win at Vandy was a struggle but then ranking ND high up ( who has struggled numerous times ) or Clemson ( same ) or OSU ( same ) is disingenuous .

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was probably the hardest one I've had to do lol

I have Wisconsin staying the same even though they lost just because so many teams ranked higher than them lost.

Also, whoever has Florida as a top 5 team shouldn't be counted because they obviously don't know college football.

Every year, there is one poll where there is enough of a sample size to realize that there are have to be some strange results, but not enough of a sample size to know for sure which ones are the flukes and which ones aren't. That is always the hardest poll to make every year. This was that week.

Sorting out the 2 loss SEC teams and 2 loss PAC teams was a mess. And how do you rank a team like Iowa, with no great wins, several not-bad wins, and a loss to a team that looked to have a competent QB against them but who had a 30 minute period with 0 completions to his own team and 2 to the opposing team in another game? And then, in addition to the teams with a bunch of confusing and contradictory results, you have the Cincys and South Floridas of the world, who are unimpressive but also undefeated. Where do thy fit in?

No matter what, everyone's poll this week is going to look like a mess at various areas. Only a larger sample size can clear up the mess.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida beating Vandy by 10 on the road = struggling.

Notre Dame beating Vandy by 5 at home = not struggling

Fact is Vandy isn't a great or even particularly good team, but they're not a terrible team either, and they have some solid pieces on their team, not much depth, and are weak in a lot of areas. That's gonna lead to getting blown out in some games(UGA, SC) and when those good pieces are clicking, they can give a better team a slight scare(Notre Dame, FLorida)

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were also destroyed by LSU. There are several mid-majors with 1 loss who deserve to be ranked ahead of them IMO. They have better resumes and fewer losses. I mean, what's Miami's best win? Toledo?

I would say FIU is their best win. It was down to them or Michigan State. Yes, they beat Penn State but they also lost to Northwestern and Arizona State who are both 3-3 right now and struggled against Utah State who's best win is against a BYU team that was clearly a pretender even when they were ranked. Also looked at Buffalo who is at 5-1 and their only loss is to Army and every team they've played is against a team with a losing record. Miami might not be good but they are better and have played better competition than Buffalo who is at 5-1 and MSU who is at 4-2.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I certainly appreciate the props on y'all ranking my Gators in the top 5... We are absolutely positively Not a top 5 team!

Nobody wants the # 5 ranking apparently this year. It's really between Florida, LSU, and Michigan IMO. Although I still haven't done my poll so I could change my mind when a re-evaluate everything.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say FIU is their best win. It was down to them or Michigan State. Yes, they beat Penn State but they also lost to Northwestern and Arizona State who are both 3-3 right now and struggled against Utah State who's best win is against a BYU team that was clearly a pretender even when they were ranked. Also looked at Buffalo who is at 5-1 and their only loss is to Army and every team they've played is against a team with a losing record. Miami might not be good but they are better and have played better competition than Buffalo who is at 5-1 and MSU who is at 4-2.

I just want to mention that Army is actually looking pretty good, only losses were in overtime to Oklahoma and a season opening loss to Duke....not bad

Currently I'd say Army is one spot out of mine, right behind Duke

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.

Florida is not a top 5 team yet. Even k8tie or however she spells her name on here says that, and she's a fanatic. They struggled mightily with an awful Vandy team that has beaten nobody and been blown out by South Carolina and UGA. They should easily be behind michigan, Texas, and arguably UCF and Oregon.

Secondly, do you honestly believe in your heart that Kentucky is better than UGA? Come on, now.

Thirdly, how can you justify ranking Stanford, San Diego State, and USC but not 4-2 Maryland? I'd argue their resume is better than those 3.

Finally, do you really think Penn State is that much worse than San Diego State? Really??

At this point I'm trying to rank resumes unless it's pretty obvious a team with a similar like record is IMO better. It's why I have Bama ranked #1 even though ND has a better resume. UF has three best 1 loss resume IMO. They beat LSU H2H. Sure they've struggled in a couple games, but everyone has.

SDSU has an SoR of 20. I don't see why ranking them is so terrible? They are winning ugly, but winning. Penn State has beaten nobody good, has two losses, one of which was against an unranked team.

If we're ranking resumes Stanford clealry deserves to be ranked with wins over SDSU, Oregon and USC. I'd have no problem with someone ranking MD. I'd disagree but wouldn't make a big deal about it.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I've posted mine. Go nuts.

I mean yours is pretty bad. Fresno? I'm guessing you ranked them in some round about way to prop up Minnesota as it relates to their game against OSU yesterday. Lol.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, there are 3 teams that are clear "Top 5" teams and about 10 that "are not Top 5 but top 10" teams. A lot of teams with big wins have bad losses, or not as good losses. Some that have a good win or two have a close win vs a cupcake.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm struggling to jump on the Oregon train right now. All they've shown me so far is that they are similar teams to Stanford and Washington. They've gone .500 at home against those two. I think they lose to both of them at a neutral site and for sure on the road. They've played nobody else at all.

That's a 15ish resume for the vast majority of programs. Especially when the program wasn't really getting any hype preseason.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.

Florida is not a top 5 team yet. Even k8tie or however she spells her name on here says that, and she's a fanatic. They struggled mightily with an awful Vandy team that has beaten nobody and been blown out by South Carolina and UGA. They should easily be behind michigan, Texas, and arguably UCF and Oregon.

Secondly, do you honestly believe in your heart that Kentucky is better than UGA? Come on, now.

Thirdly, how can you justify ranking Stanford, San Diego State, and USC but not 4-2 Maryland? I'd argue their resume is better than those 3.

Finally, do you really think Penn State is that much worse than San Diego State? Really??
they may not be a top 5 team. yes we shot ourselves in the foot for a half against @ Vandy ...however. they are better than 11th... and we are 6-1 beating a ranked LSU and MSU. especially considering every one believed we would be 3-3 at this point in the season ... 8th Is where I would put them for now

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I'm trying to rank resumes unless it's pretty obvious a team with a similar like record is IMO better. It's why I have Bama ranked #1 even though ND has a better resume. UF has three best 1 loss resume IMO. They beat LSU H2H. Sure they've struggled in a couple games, but everyone has.

SDSU has an SoR of 20. I don't see why ranking them is so terrible? They are winning ugly, but winning. Penn State has beaten nobody good, has two losses, one of which was against an unranked team.

If we're ranking resumes Stanford clealry deserves to be ranked with wins over SDSU, Oregon and USC. I'd have no problem with someone ranking MD. I'd disagree but wouldn't make a big deal about it.
Penn State has a significantly better win that SDSU in Appy State.

Beating SDSU means nothing except with you. You're literally the only one ranking them. They haven't accomplished anything and there are multiple mid-majors that deserve to be ranked over them.

Also, when you talk about SOR, where are you getting that from?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean yours is pretty bad. Fresno? I'm guessing you ranked them in some round about way to prop up Minnesota as it relates to their game against OSU yesterday. Lol.
Or because they've literally dominated every other game.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State has a significantly better win that SDSU in Appy State.

Beating SDSU means nothing except with you. You're literally the only one ranking them. They haven't accomplished anything and there are multiple mid-majors that deserve to be ranked over them.

Also, when you talk about SOR, where are you getting that from?

ESPN's. I checked this morning.