• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Week 5 Top 25 Discussion Thread

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will probably not check out the CBB board. Even if OSU gets back to the top 5, I admittedly don't care that much about CBB.

Again, it's the only explanation for your behavior. Constantly and repeatedly propping them up, excusing their shortcomings, building up teams they've beaten for no actual reason. It's gross. I'm no ND fan, but they deserve better than this from you.

Lmao. I really don't care what the other ND fans think of me, but I do get along with them on here. I'm not propping them up, you just always seem to never give them credit. Also, I said I'd have no problem with someone ranking them behind PSU based on how each team has looked. My whole point is that they have better wins, and played a tougher schedule. You want to argue against that for some reason, despite there being no evidence to the contrary.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always interesting to see resume rankers completely disregard eye test rankers and vice versa. Good arguments by all, but you are just talking right past each other.

For example, I rank Penn St higher than Stanford because I believe the QB position is so important in college football that when teams are similar, I give an edge to the team with the better QB. McSorley is a difference maker. I'm not sure Costello is. You just can't scheme to stop a really good QB. You can scheme to stop a really good RB.

That's simply my opinion though. Resume claims of Penn St superiority over Stanford fall flat. They aren't comparable at this point in time.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao. I really don't care what the other ND fans think of me, but I do get along with them on here. I'm not propping them up, you just always seem to never give them credit. Also, I said I'd have no problem with someone ranking them behind PSU based on how each team has looked. My whole point is that they have better wins, and played a tougher schedule. You want to argue against that for some reason, despite there being no evidence to the contrary.
Well, PSU remains ahead of them in the efficiency metrics that you cherish.

Also, based on how they've looked, PSU looks much better. They're winning games by an average of 50-21 while Stanford is scoring half as much while giving up only 3 fewer points. Stanford just flatout wasn't competitive Saturday while PSU obviously could've won against a better team. You have this narrative of Stanford having such better wins, yet you're the only one that ranks San Diego State. Hmm...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always interesting to see resume rankers completely disregard eye test rankers and vice versa. Good arguments by all, but you are just talking right past each other.

For example, I rank Penn St higher than Stanford because I believe the QB position is so important in college football that when teams are similar, I give an edge to the team with the better QB. McSorley is a difference maker. I'm not sure Costello is. You just can't scheme to stop a really good QB. You can scheme to stop a really good RB.

That's simply my opinion though. Resume claims of Penn St superiority over Stanford fall flat. They aren't comparable at this point in time.
Completely fair and well-put analysis.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, PSU remains ahead of them in the efficiency metrics that you cherish.

Also, based on how they've looked, PSU looks much better. They're winning games by an average of 50-21 while Stanford is scoring half as much while giving up only 3 fewer points. Stanford just flatout wasn't competitive Saturday while PSU obviously could've won against a better team. You have this narrative of Stanford having such better wins, yet you're the only one that ranks San Diego State. Hmm...

Yes, which is why I said if someone ranks PSU ahead of Stanford I'd be fine with it, while disagreeing because they have looked better.

Stanford does have better wins. Even if you want to take SDSU out of my top 25, they still have better wins.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, which is why I said if someone ranks PSU ahead of Stanford I'd be fine with it, while disagreeing because they have looked better.

Stanford does have better wins. Even if you want to take SDSU out of my top 25, they still have better wins.
Eh, whatever you say. If you want to pimp SDSU, go ahead. I don't know how you can even say that they're really that much better than Illinois at this point.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should Syracuse move up?

I'd have to look. I haven't done rankings in the past 2 weeks because I've been rather busy.

The big knock on that loss is Clemson was basically on it's 3rd string QB and Syracuse still managed to piss away the win. So they'd need a little more than just how well they played Clemson, and I'm having trouble remembering their other games.

But it's not a loss that is going to hurt them with me.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to look. I haven't done rankings in the past 2 weeks because I've been rather busy.

The big knock on that loss is Clemson was basically on it's 3rd string QB and Syracuse still managed to piss away the win. So they'd need a little more than just how well they played Clemson, and I'm having trouble remembering their other games.

But it's not a loss that is going to hurt them with me.
Their best win is still far and away 30-7 vs. Florida State. They beat Western Michigan by 13 (55-42), they beat Wagner by like 40 and beat UConn by 30. It's a really bad resume. The fact that people are voting them into the top 25 is just foolish.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't watched Stanford this year have you? They have been begging for a loss for a couple of weeks now.

When you're outmanned, you're outmanned, but Shaw is a hell of a coach. I mean, I'm glad we got Kirby, but at the time, Shaw was my first choice to replace Richt.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think someone got frustrated that I wasn't agreeing with them so they, out of frustration, said "ok penn state is amazing" lol
no you refused to see any other view........so i ended the discussion. If we cant have a grown up convo, then i end it.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you're outmanned, you're outmanned, but Shaw is a hell of a coach. I mean, I'm glad we got Kirby, but at the time, Shaw was my first choice to replace Richt.

Isn't he doing exactly the same thing has Harbaugh did there? I think he gets a lot of credit for having good teams at a smart school, but Stanford has a reputation and allure that allows them to get a certain type of player.

Honestly, I think Shaw might have found the SEC to be a bit too much for him.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he doing exactly the same thing has Harbaugh did there? I think he gets a lot of credit for having good teams at a smart school, but Stanford has a reputation and allure that allows them to get a certain type of player.

Honestly, I think Shaw might have found the SEC to be a bit too much for him.

He's won a conference title or two, so he's ahead of Harbaugh.

We made the right choice, but at the time, a guy like David Shaw sounded like heaven, especially after Richt's message had been old and stale for 4 years before he was let go.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's won a conference title or two, so he's ahead of Harbaugh.

We made the right choice, but at the time, a guy like David Shaw sounded like heaven, especially after Richt's message had been old and stale for 4 years before he was let go.

Yeah, I hate it when Richt left, but sooner or later if you want to excel, you have to quit carrying about how good (personality wise) a coach is.

While it may be different for Dabo, I promise you Saban and Meyer don't win by being the nicest guy in the room.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hate it when Richt left, but sooner or later if you want to excel, you have to quit carrying about how good (personality wise) a coach is.

While it may be different for Dabo, I promise you Saban and Meyer don't win by being the nicest guy in the room.

His personality saved his ass after the 0-2 start in 2011 following the 6-7 2010.

Kirby isn't on a Saban level of salty, but he's far from being as nice and charming as Richt too.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His personality saved his ass after the 0-2 start in 2011 following the 6-7 2010.

Kirby isn't on a Saban level of salty, but he's far from being as nice and charming as Richt too.

He's not, but he's been....trained (?) by the greatest to act a certain way, and hold a level of expectation of yourself that Richt just never seemed to teach.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their best win is still far and away 30-7 vs. Florida State. They beat Western Michigan by 13 (55-42), they beat Wagner by like 40 and beat UConn by 30. It's a really bad resume. The fact that people are voting them into the top 25 is just foolish.

He said penn st was ranked appropriately because they played Ohio state the way a borderline top 10 team should. Syracuse played Clemson the way a top 25 team should. But yeah, it’s not a great resume

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said penn st was ranked appropriately because they played Ohio state the way a borderline top 10 team should. Syracuse played Clemson the way a top 25 team should. But yeah, it’s not a great resume
To be fair, Penn State is a significantly more talented team that Syracuse.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no you refused to see any other view........so i ended the discussion. If we cant have a grown up convo, then i end it.

Did I refuse to see any other view or did I simply just disagree with you? I'm not gonna say I agree with you if I don't just to make your ego happy. I thought we were having a grown up debate, but you just felt the need to secede because I wasn't giving in to your POV. I didn't agree with you and I kept trying to debate with you. That's what it's called. A debate. It's not refusing to see any other side, it's called I have an opinion and I'm listing out the reason why my opinion is what it is. It's a debate. We aren't trying to convert the other person to our beliefs. Or at least I'm not.