• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Week 5 Top 25 Discussion Thread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's won a conference title or two, so he's ahead of Harbaugh.

We made the right choice, but at the time, a guy like David Shaw sounded like heaven, especially after Richt's message had been old and stale for 4 years before he was let go.
If you got David Shaw, that would've been awesome, because you'd be nowhere near the top 4 and potentially blocking OSU from getting in. He's a fine Pac 12 coach, but he's simply not the elite coach you want to compete in the SEC year in, year out.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quality loss?

You should be pretty familiar with the concept...second highest rated one loss team, that lost to the top rated one loss team.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long before Washington is ranked above Auburn? I understand we lost to Auburn, however I think most would agree that Washington is a better team at this point.

Based on what? Beating a Utah team with no P5 wins, or beating two teams whose P5 wins are over overrated B1G teams. It's not like Wisconsin has looked like world beaters in their other games.

Congrats on beating BYU, but c'mon, the win over Wisconsin is going to prove to be meh and they didn't exactly put a torch to Arizona and Cal.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what? Beating a Utah team with no P5 wins, or beating two teams whose P5 wins are over overrated B1G teams. It's not like Wisconsin has looked like world beaters in their other games.

Congrats on beating BYU, but c'mon, the win over Wisconsin is going to prove to be meh and they didn't exactly put a torch to Arizona and Cal.
I agree Washington shouldn't be ranked ahead of Auburn right now, but saying the win over Wisconsin is "meh" is just stupid. They're still widely regarded to be a top ~15 team, and they're definitely lightyears better than anyone Bama has beaten so far.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Washington shouldn't be ranked ahead of Auburn right now, but saying the win over Wisconsin is "meh" is just stupid. They're still widely regarded to be a top ~15 team, and they're definitely lightyears better than anyone Bama has beaten so far.

Why? Their qb is pedestrian, their receivers are average, they have a good offensive line and decent backs. They are a one-dimensional offensive team.

Their wins are Western Kentucky...who also lost to Maine for fucks sake, who scored 3 less points than Wisconsin, New Mexico, who lost badly to Liberty at home, and Iowa, who has not beaten a team with a P5 win. Combined, the teams they have beaten have 4 FBS wins... They also lost to a 3-2 BYU team that looks worse every day.

The only reason Wisconsin could even sniff the top 15 at the end of the year is because they play in the B1G West. They are a fringe top 25 team at the moment...at best.

And no...they are not light years ahead of anyone we have beaten. Ole Miss and Texas A&M have lost to us, LSU and Clemson. I don't believe Wisconsin beats any of those three teams...at home...in a monsoon. Both also have beaten teams as good as anyone Wisconsin has beaten. Hell, Louisville has beaten WKU too, and they suck.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I refuse to see any other view or did I simply just disagree with you? I'm not gonna say I agree with you if I don't just to make your ego happy. I thought we were having a grown up debate, but you just felt the need to secede because I wasn't giving in to your POV. I didn't agree with you and I kept trying to debate with you. That's what it's called. A debate. It's not refusing to see any other side, it's called I have an opinion and I'm listing out the reason why my opinion is what it is. It's a debate. We aren't trying to convert the other person to our beliefs. Or at least I'm not.
Settle down big guy u get worked up

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Their qb is pedestrian, their receivers are average, they have a good offensive line and decent backs. They are a one-dimensional offensive team.

Their wins are Western Kentucky...who also lost to Maine for fucks sake, who scored 3 less points than Wisconsin, New Mexico, who lost badly to Liberty at home, and Iowa, who has not beaten a team with a P5 win. Combined, the teams they have beaten have 4 FBS wins... They also lost to a 3-2 BYU team that looks worse every day.

The only reason Wisconsin could even sniff the top 15 at the end of the year is because they play in the B1G West. They are a fringe top 25 team at the moment...at best.

And no...they are not light years ahead of anyone we have beaten. Ole Miss and Texas A&M have lost to us, LSU and Clemson. I don't believe Wisconsin beats any of those three teams...at home...in a monsoon. Both also have beaten teams as good as anyone Wisconsin has beaten. Hell, Louisville has beaten WKU too, and they suck.
"Decent" backs. Right. And Alabama has a "pretty decent" QB and "alright" defense.

Also, if you're going to go down this convoluted wormhole, Georgia's 5 wins have come against teams with a combined two P5 victories -- Vanderbilt and Purdue, who are awful. Alabama has beaten 5 teams who, also, have a combined two P5 victories -- Arkansas (one of the 5 worst P5 teams in the nation, no question), and Texas Tech. So why are they ranked 1-2 in the polls? Neither of them has beaten a team worth shit, and don't try and pass off A&M as good. They barely survived at home against that absolutely pathetic Arkansas team.

If you're gonna start questioning who other teams' have beaten, make sure your team has at least beaten a good team themselves.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Decent" backs. Right. And Alabama has a "pretty decent" QB and "alright" defense.

Also, if you're going to go down this convoluted wormhole, Georgia's 5 wins have come against teams with a combined two P5 victories -- Vanderbilt and Purdue, who are awful. Alabama has beaten 5 teams who, also, have a combined two P5 victories -- Arkansas (one of the 5 worst P5 teams in the nation, no question), and Texas Tech. So why are they ranked 1-2 in the polls? Neither of them has beaten a team worth shit, and don't try and pass off A&M as good. They barely survived at home against that absolutely pathetic Arkansas team.

If you're gonna start questioning who other teams' have beaten, make sure your team has at least beaten a good team themselves.

Let me know when Wisconsin beats a P5 team by 50. By your standard Wisconsin barely survived Iowa...and it wasn't at home, try to keep up. Wisconsin is would be less than a touchdown favorite against A&M. Wisconsin has done nothing to justify where they started the year or where they currently are. They aren't even a paper tiger, they are a paper cat.

Taylor is just the lastest overrated back in a long line of overrated backs in Wisconsin's wood shed. Damien Harris would have had 2000 yards last year running behind Wisconsin's line in the B1G West.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

facepalm is the resort of idiots that can't argue with words. Grow a pair pussy.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me know when Wisconsin beats a P5 team by 50. By your standard Wisconsin barely survived Iowa...and it wasn't at home, try to keep up. Wisconsin is would be less than a touchdown favorite against A&M. Wisconsin has done nothing to justify where they started the year or where they currently are. They aren't even a paper tiger, they are a paper cat.

Taylor is just the lastest overrated back in a long line of overrated backs in Wisconsin's wood shed. Damien Harris would have had 2000 yards last year running behind Wisconsin's line in the B1G West.
What a faggy comment. I never said they beat Iowa at home. "Try to keep up", classic internet tough guy.

And no, that isn't barely survived by my standard. They beat Iowa by 2 scores, A&M beat Arkansas by 1. Also, Arkansas is complete and total dogshit while Iowa is solid.

Yes, Wisconsin did everything to justify where they started the year. They were 12-1 last year in a P5 and finished the year with an Orange Bowl victory. They were a perfectly acceptable team to be ranked where they were to start the year.

Taylor ran for 1977 yards last year, dumbass. If he was overrated but Harris was only going to run for 23 more yards over the course of a season, what does that make Harris?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a faggy comment. I never said they beat Iowa at home. "Try to keep up", classic internet tough guy.

And no, that isn't barely survived by my standard. They beat Iowa by 2 scores, A&M beat Arkansas by 1. Also, Arkansas is complete and total dogshit while Iowa is solid.

Yes, Wisconsin did everything to justify where they started the year. They were 12-1 last year in a P5 and finished the year with an Orange Bowl victory. They were a perfectly acceptable team to be ranked where they were to start the year.

Taylor ran for 1977 yards last year, dumbass. If he was overrated but Harris was only going to run for 23 more yards over the course of a season, what does that make Harris?

Arkansas and A&M wasn't a home game for A&M dumbass...it was at Jerry World.

Wisconsin was a mediocre team in a shit division of an overrated conference...still is. How is that big impressive win over TCU working out for you.

Damien Harris is a serviceable back as is Taylor, that was my point, that Taylor is no better than Harris. Neither one is deserving of Heisman hype, but Taylor was getting plenty of it. Both decent backs, as previously stated.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas and A&M wasn't a home game for A&M dumbass...it was at Jerry World.

Wisconsin was a mediocre team in a shit division of an overrated conference...still is. How is that big impressive win over TCU working out for you.

Damien Harris is a serviceable back as is Taylor, that was my point, that Taylor is no better than Harris. Neither one is deserving of Heisman hype, but Taylor was getting plenty of it. Both decent backs, as previously stated.
Ehh, that's not what you said. You were talking about Wisconsin and Iowa, not A&M and Arkansas.

Wisconsin would be 3rd in the SEC right now behind Bama and UGA. Nothing I've seen from LSU or Auburn makes me think they're any better. It's looking very possible that they end up playing one of them this year, so we'll get to see what happens.

Actually, you seemed way more intent on saying Taylor was another "overrated back". Well, Taylor was a 3* recruit while Harris was a 5*, yet you think Harris is only 23 yards better than Taylor over the course of a season in the same offense, so tell me - which one is actually overrated?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Penn State is a significantly more talented team that Syracuse.

True, Penn State is much more talented and a little bit better.

My point wasn’t that Syracuse should be ranked ahead of Penn State. Just that if Penn State should be a borderline top 10 team for competing like a borderline top 10 team than Syracuse should be ranked because they competed against a borderline top 10 team like a top 25 team should be expected to compete.

Syracuse was up 16-7 against Trevor Lawrence led Clemson at halftime. That’s a top 25 performance.

My point wasn’t to discredit Penn state. I just think teams should be treated equally when it comes to quality losses.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh, that's not what you said. You were talking about Wisconsin and Iowa, not A&M and Arkansas.

Wisconsin would be 3rd in the SEC right now behind Bama and UGA. Nothing I've seen from LSU or Auburn makes me think they're any better. It's looking very possible that they end up playing one of them this year, so we'll get to see what happens.

Actually, you seemed way more intent on saying Taylor was another "overrated back". Well, Taylor was a 3* recruit while Harris was a 5*, yet you think Harris is only 23 yards better than Taylor over the course of a season in the same offense, so tell me - which one is actually overrated?

Clearly the AP voters don't agree with your sentiment. Nor do I. The 4th place team in the B1G is not the 3rd place team in the SEC. They might be the 3rd best team in the SEC East.

Why would I say it wasn't at home, for a game you never said anything about being a home game....you stated that A&M barely beat Arkansas at home...so that was what I was referencing. You were talking about both games in comparison to each other, so was I, sorry it got too complicated for you.

Yes, Taylor is an overrated back. He would be a 800-1000 yard back in our offense and Harris would be a 2000 yard back in their offense. They may have been miles apart rating wise, but I don't recall seeing Harris on everyone's preseason heisman list. I don't think he's 23 yards better. I was rounding when I used 2000...I think they are both 2000 yard backs last year in that offense. Just for clarification, when I say he would be an 800-1000 yard back in our offense...it doesn't mean I think Taylor would do worse than Harris in our offense. It means I think Harris is going to wind up with 800-1000 yards in our offense this year. Your taking offense because I called Taylor decent. There are tons of decent backs around, there are very few special ones. Taylor isn't special. Harris isn't either...although I think he is an amazing person and will make someone a serviceable NFL back, he is not a HOFer or a Heisman candidate.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:stephena:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, Penn State is much more talented and a little bit better.

My point wasn’t that Syracuse should be ranked ahead of Penn State. Just that if Penn State should be a borderline top 10 team for competing like a borderline top 10 team than Syracuse should be ranked because they competed against a borderline top 10 team like a top 25 team should be expected to compete.

Syracuse was up 16-7 against Trevor Lawrence led Clemson at halftime. That’s a top 25 performance.

My point wasn’t to discredit Penn state. I just think teams should be treated equally when it comes to quality losses.
Maybe if Clemson looked elite this year, you'd have a point, but when you don't have any actual good wins, a "quality loss" simply isn't enough to get you ranked. Their wins are total crap.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly the AP voters don't agree with your sentiment. Nor do I. The 4th place team in the B1G is not the 3rd place team in the SEC. They might be the 3rd best team in the SEC East.

Why would I say it wasn't at home, for a game you never said anything about being a home game....you stated that A&M barely beat Arkansas at home...so that was what I was referencing. You were talking about both games in comparison to each other, so was I, sorry it got too complicated for you.

Yes, Taylor is an overrated back. He would be a 800-1000 yard back in our offense and Harris would be a 2000 yard back in their offense. They may have been miles apart rating wise, but I don't recall seeing Harris on everyone's preseason heisman list. I don't think he's 23 yards better. I was rounding when I used 2000...I think they are both 2000 yard backs last year in that offense. Just for clarification, when I say he would be an 800-1000 yard back in our offense...it doesn't mean I think Taylor would do worse than Harris in our offense. It means I think Harris is going to wind up with 800-1000 yards in our offense this year. Your taking offense because I called Taylor decent. There are tons of decent backs around, there are very few special ones. Taylor isn't special. Harris isn't either...although I think he is an amazing person and will make someone a serviceable NFL back, he is not a HOFer or a Heisman candidate.
The AP voters also have VT ranked 1 week after getting smoked by a horrible Old Dominion. I'm able to think outside of the AP voters, which is nice for me.

You didn't communicate well, that is not my fault.

So you think Taylor is as good of a back as Damien Harris, and I'm fine with that. Harris would've likely been a 2nd rounder had he come out last year, and he's currently rated in the top 5 among RBs going into the 2019 draft. I see no issues with that. Harris is a really good prospect and a damn fine college RB. Did you have a point here?