• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Most Storied Program Tournament - (3) USC vs (6) Alabama

Who has a more storied program?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1973 National Championship - AP puts Bama 4th after their bowl game loss. Bama claims a NC from the UPI poll that was taken before they met Notre Dame in the bowl game and lost. There were 3 teams with better records than Bama that year. The embarrassment of naming Alabama number one caused the UPI to name champions after bowl games.

As was everyone they selected the years before then because it was how they did it. Same as the AP.

Or are we to assume the possibility of the teams they ranked before the bowl games losing to teams ranked below them never entered their minds?

The culture was different and many people still hung on to the tradition that bowl games were not post season games, they were exhibition games.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just a oart of your myth the NCAA does not even recognize 15 national championships for Alabama. Yet bama fans like to live by these false myths as though they are fact. However I will say this. I do believe the rematch natty that should have never happened. Played a key role into having to correct the corrupted system. And brought a lot if Alabama's past to light in the process

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As was everyone they selected the years before then because it was how they did it. Same as the AP.

Or are we to assume the possibility of the teams they ranked before the bowl games losing to teams ranked below them never entered their minds?

The culture was different and many people still hung on to the tradition that bowl games were not post season games, they were exhibition games.
So blame it on anything you can to try to justify false titles ? And the NCAA doesn't recognize so many of these claimed titles why ?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1978 National Championship - AP gives this to Alabama (11-1-0) even though USC (12-1-0) had the better record Guess who Alabama lost to that year? UPI gave the NC to USC

It happened in the 3rd game of the year, USC then went on to lose to unranked Arizona St 2 weeks later.

Alabama went on to play #1 Penn St in a bowl game and won.

So I guess now Texas A&M is the real 2012 national champions and Virginia Tech won the first playoff?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recognize them as a legit stat. And as I've stated I would take a team of all time Trojan greats over a team of Alabama ll time greats any day if the week. Comparing the two shows quite a bit more than questionable claims

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happened in the 3rd game of the year, USC then went on to lose to unranked Arizona St 2 weeks later.

Alabama went on to play #1 Penn St in a bowl game and won.

So I guess now Texas A&M is the real 2012 national champions and Virginia Tech won the first playoff?
You're stretching again

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So blame it on anything you can to try to justify false titles ? And the NCAA doesn't recognize so many of these claimed titles why ?

The NCAA recognizes like 20 titles or more for Alabama.

We don't even claim them all, nobody does. I gave you the formula every school, even USC uses already.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're stretching again

I can't recognize them as a legit stat. And as I've stated I would take a team of all time Trojan greats over a team of Alabama ll time greats any day if the week. Comparing the two shows quite a bit more than questionable claims

Well maybe if USC and the PAC hadn't shut everyone else out because they got tired of getting the shit kicked out of them by the SEC in the Rose Bowl, you could have invited Penn St to the Rose Bowl and played the #1 team and beat them like Alabama did.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA recognizes like 20 titles or more for Alabama.

We don't even claim them all, nobody does. I gave you the formula every school, even USC uses already.
I have yet to see a legitimate link where the ncaa recognizes 20 titles for Alabama. I think you need some time to take in and reevaluate the information provided

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And maybe if USC and the Pac hadn't blocked things like the BCS and the playoffs for decades, maybe more of these years that you think are in question wouldn't be.

But like it or not, complain all you want but it's been Alabama that has been pulling the rest of college football along by the hair because of National Championships.

So I don't really care what you think you want to recognize, your team and conference is the one that dictated most of this shit.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe if USC and the PAC hadn't shut everyone else out because they got tired of getting the shit kicked out of them by the SEC in the Rose Bowl, you could have invited Penn St to the Rose Bowl and played the #1 team and beat them like Alabama did.
Explains why SC will play anyone anywhere. Taking on home and homes with top tier teams. While all we could get out of Alabama is one game neutral site. Bama lacks the balls to go home and home with the elite

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have yet to see a legitimate link where the ncaa recognizes 20 titles for Alabama. I think you need some time to take in and reevaluate the information provided

That's because they quit publishing a few years back when they upgraded their website. They don't publish a list at all anymore.

Guess I have spent enough time on the topic. oops.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explains why SC will play anyone anywhere. Taking on home and homes with top tier teams. While all we could get out of Alabama is one game neutral site. Bama lacks the balls to go home and home with the elite

Yes, anyone anywhere.

So long as they are in the Big10.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we settle this shit in 2016, on the field. Polls are now invalid, result of the upcoming matchup will decide who is the most storied program between the two.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just a oart of your myth the NCAA does not even recognize 15 national championships for Alabama. Yet bama fans like to live by these false myths as though they are fact. However I will say this. I do believe the rematch natty that should have never happened. Played a key role into having to correct the corrupted system. And brought a lot if Alabama's past to light in the process

Again, whatever number of national championships it is, the NCAA still recognizes a shit load more for Alabama than for USC.

It is also not nearly as big a myth as USC WILL PLAY ANYBODY ANYWHERE...

Since 1888 USC has played 1186 games. 651 were conference games, leaving 475 OOC games

Of those 475, 86 were Notre Dame, 104 were B1G teams, 36 were ACC, 33 were SEC and 29 were Big 12

Which leaves 187 games for the shit previously mentioned. So, 40% of your all-time OCC opponents are lesser teams of one sort or another...60 of which were against lesser I-A teams(MWC, Sun Belt...) leaving more than 120 games against teams that weren't even at the FCS level.

But hey, you've never played an FCS team, so you still have that going for you...false myths indeed.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Storied coaches:

Bama: Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Bear Bryant, Gene Stallings, Nick Saban

USC: McKay, Robinson, <crickets>

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're just butthurt that USC hasn't been good enough to be invited to one of these kickoff shindigs since they started back up in 2008. Alabama by contrast has been invited to 6 previously and 3 upcoming games. Welcome back to the party, we'll try not to Bogart them from here on out.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Storied coaches:

Bama: Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Bear Bryant, Gene Stallings, Nick Saban

USC: McKay, Robinson, <crickets>

Not to be contrary, but hard pressed not to include Pete Carroll on this list.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be contrary, but hard pressed not to include Pete Carroll on this list.

I agree. It makes one hell of a story to lose to a 40+ pt underdog. And a guy who's only untainted championship was given as a bitch prize.

ESPN: "we are so sorry we couldn't ride your ballsack into the top 2 of the BCS polls. So well just let you have the championship anyway without having to play for it, EVEN THOUGH THAT'S HOW IT WORKS NOW." Sincerely, 2003.