• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Most Storied Program Tournament - (1) Oklahoma vs (5) Nebraska

Who has a more storied program?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I write this

Two Nebraskans voted Oklahoma
One voted Nebraska

For me, Oklahoma is a more storied program, hence my vote for Oklahoma.

If Oklahoma hadn't been so fucking good in the 50's it's much closer.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best blocks I have ever seen for Mike Rozier

An old coach used to tell us "As a defender, never leave your feet"......along with "Keep your head on a swivel". LOL

FFWD to 1:18

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, in looking at it, the seedings for this entire tournament are pretty wrong. ND should be 1, with Ohio State at 2. OSU destroys Oklahoma in the metrics, at 8-4, and by mid-October, after being the AP #1 for 7 weeks, they'll be beating them 9-3. They also own Nebraska 8-4.
@RACER-MIKE @4down20 I invite you both to prove me wrong.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you use bias, they're not.

If you use facts, they're undeniably top 3.

Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC and Alabama are all teams with more history than Ohio St.

And there are probably arguments that can be made for other teams.

Stick to picking on Michigan.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC and Alabama are all teams with more history than Ohio St.

And there are probably arguments that can be made for other teams.

Stick to picking on Michigan.
Hmm...

OSU has a better all-time record, more national titles, more wins, more heismans, more all-americans, more first rounders, more draft picks, more weeks in the AP poll and will soon have more weeks as #1 in the AP poll as Oklahoma

OSU has a better all-time record, more conference titles, more all-time wins, more all-americans, more heismans, more first rounders, more draft picks, more weeks in the AP poll more weeks as #1 in the AP poll as Alabama

I'll concede to USC and ND. That's it.

Sorry bud, I normally respect what you say, but facts show you're dead wrong here.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, in looking at it, the seedings for this entire tournament are pretty wrong. ND should be 1, with Ohio State at 2. OSU destroys Oklahoma in the metrics, at 8-4, and by mid-October, after being the AP #1 for 7 weeks, they'll be beating them 9-3. They also own Nebraska 8-4.
Bleacher report :L Oklahoma should be 1 tho. I don't mind Ohio state but no way are they iver SC, ND or Bama

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...

OSU has a better all-time record, more national titles, more wins, more heismans, more all-americans, more first rounders, more draft picks, more weeks in the AP poll and will soon have more weeks as #1 in the AP poll as Oklahoma

OSU has a better all-time record, more conference titles, more all-time wins, more all-americans, more heismans, more first rounders, more draft picks, more weeks in the AP poll more weeks as #1 in the AP poll as Alabama

Sorry bud, I normally respect what you say, but facts show you're dead wrong here.

It's most storied, not who wins most categories on winsepedia. And it's not like there are really big differences in the categories you lead in for the most part. If it was like some big gap it might have some meaning, but 13 more wins in your history while Alabama is lower because of vacated wins is hardly noteworthy. Winsepedia doesn't show things like Alabama has more Rose Bowl wins than any other non Pac or Big10 team.

Doesn't show things like Alabama and the south being disrespected as if they were a mid-major and traveling across country to the Rose Bowl and winning a game everyone thought they would get killed in. Alabama was the original - we'll go anywhere and kick your ass team.

Doesn't show the most recognizable coach ever in Bear Bryant.

Doesn't show things about the controversies during the 60's that surrounded the school and even went so far as to cost them a national championship in the polls.

Doesn't show all the rules changes that have been made over the years in response to Alabama having success. Most recruiting rules, then you have the changing of deciding national champions multiple times and so on.

Doesn't show all the highlights Alabama has been a part of where things didn't go our way. Long term stretches on the national stage. This recent run by Alabama isn't really all that unique.

And so on. Didn't really want to spend this much time on the post, so I'm just going to stop here. I made a big long detailed post in the Alabama vs USC thread.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Kirk Herbsreit has hacked the server and altered the votes.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's most storied, not who wins most categories on winsepedia. And it's not like there are really big differences in the categories you lead in for the most part. If it was like some big gap it might have some meaning, but 13 more wins in your history while Alabama is lower because of vacated wins is hardly noteworthy. Winsepedia doesn't show things like Alabama has more Rose Bowl wins than any other non Pac or Big10 team.

Doesn't show things like Alabama and the south being disrespected as if they were a mid-major and traveling across country to the Rose Bowl and winning a game everyone thought they would get killed in. Alabama was the original - we'll go anywhere and kick your ass team.

Doesn't show the most recognizable coach ever in Bear Bryant.

Doesn't show things about the controversies during the 60's that surrounded the school and even went so far as to cost them a national championship in the polls.

Doesn't show all the rules changes that have been made over the years in response to Alabama having success. Most recruiting rules, then you have the changing of deciding national champions multiple times and so on.

Doesn't show all the highlights Alabama has been a part of where things didn't go our way. Long term stretches on the national stage. This recent run by Alabama isn't really all that unique.

And so on. Didn't really want to spend this much time on the post, so I'm just going to stop here. I made a big long detailed post in the Alabama vs USC thread.
Winsipedia shows categories that go into making a program storied.

OSU has also had vacated wins.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...

Oklahoma played Texas and Nebraska every year, which have more wins than Ohio State and have been much stronger than Michigan since WW2.

Two elite rivalry games per year cost OU a nice little handful of titles.

Switzer and Wilkinson > Hayes

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switzer owned Osbourne. After Switzer resigned in '89 OU took a nose dive until Stoops arrived. Had Switzer continued to coach into the '90's he could of gotten Oklahoma a couple more NC's as opposed to winning his Super Bowl.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma played Texas and Nebraska every year, which have more wins than Ohio State and have been much stronger than Michigan since WW2.

Two elite rivalry games per year cost OU a nice little handful of titles.

Switzer and Wilkinson > Hayes
No they haven't. Since 1950, Texas, Nebraska and michigan all have very similar records.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switzer owned Osbourne. After Switzer resigned in '89 OU took a nose dive until Stoops arrived. Had Switzer continued to coach into the '90's he could of gotten Oklahoma a couple more NC's as opposed to winning his Super Bowl.

Ahh the old let's count games that never happened argument.