• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 5 Discussion Thread

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voting Thread -SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 5 Voting Thread

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over/ under how many posts have to get moved here from the voting thread?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If tOSU isn't your number one right now, you might need to watch more football.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@iowajerms you had USC 24 last week in your poll, they lost by 14 to UW and now they are 17. Lol.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If tOSU isn't your number one right now, you might need to watch more football.

I disagree, Auburn has to be No 1 based on results.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A&M and Oregon wins are wins but don't really impress me any more than any of tOSU's wins.

...and they're giving up an average of under 10 pts per game not mention a CFB best MOV.

Let the debate commence.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? They won on a miracle against Oregon, played pretty bad against a nobody Tulane team (that was a 1-score game until very late in the 3rd quarter), and then had a 1-score win against what is looking like a sloppy, mediocre A&M team. I'll admit Oregon is better than anyone OSU has faced, but they were remarkably lucky to win that one. OSU has absolutely rolled everyone while Auburn has 3 wins that shouldn't have been near as close as they were.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Top 25 team have they beaten?
What has any team done that Auburn has beat?

Where did they get that "top 25" ranking?

You're basing your premise on a flawed system to start with.

I'm basing what I think on what I've seen with my eyeballs. Not on some magical POTENTIAL quotient. tOSU is kicking ass and taking names right now in every phase of the game.

Day was a great hire thus far.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? They won on a miracle against Oregon, played pretty bad against a nobody Tulane team (that was a 1-score game until very late in the 3rd quarter), and then had a 1-score win against what is looking like a sloppy, mediocre A&M team. I'll admit Oregon is better than anyone OSU has faced, but they were remarkably lucky to win that one. OSU has absolutely rolled everyone while Auburn has 3 wins that shouldn't have been near as close as they were.

I didn't put them #1 but I can certainly see the argument for them to be there. To me it came down to Bama, OSU and Auburn. The score of the A&M is a little misleading as they were up 28-10 with 6 minutes left and A&M scored 10 points in garbage time. Also Miss St is probably similar to Nebraska and Cincy and they blew them out pretty significantly. If Auburn goes to the Swamp and wins, I think at that point you'd have to put them #1.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't put them #1 but I can certainly see the argument for them to be there. To me it came down to Bama, OSU and Auburn. The score of the A&M is a little misleading as they were up 28-10 with 6 minutes left and A&M scored 10 points in garbage time. Also Miss St is probably similar to Nebraska and Cincy and they blew them out pretty significantly. If Auburn goes to the Swamp and wins, I think at that point you'd have to put them #1.

They're gonna beat Florida. I'm very confident in that statement.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so hard to rank teams solely based on merit this early in the season. The sample size just isn't there, and every person who attempts to do it just looks ridiculous. By the end of the year, I transition into a purely "what have you done on the field" poll. But right now, I still consider things like coach history, player history, and raw talent/potential.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in the season, you have to look at resume and eye test. No other way.

Speaking of eye test, look at this handsome motherfucker.

i1QcmPH.gif

That guy fucks

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the way they struggled with Oregon, they may have a better resume when you look at pure wins and losses, but there is no way you can say that they looked better on the field than Alabama or Ohio State. You just can't. It's the classic "merit of resume versus pure skill" argument, but I for one want to choose the best team, not the team who manages to schedule best.

Alabama and Ohio State would easily be undefeated with Auburn's schedule and they wouldn't have needed a comeback against Oregon for that to be true. Until I'm convinced otherwise, I will be ranking both of those teams ahead of Auburn, and I don't care how many teams ranked outside the top eight that Auburn beats.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Tulane? That is a garbage program, and Auburn struggled mightily with them. Also, I watched the A&M game, and I'm pretty sure Auburn still had the starters in late in the 4th, and A&M beat them pretty handily in terms of yards (391-299) and first downs (23-16). That was a close game, and honestly, A&M is going to have to fight just to be bowl eligible this year. They were losing to Oregon for all but 16 seconds, and while Oregon looks like a decent team, they're hardly world-beaters. Miss St. might be on the same level as Nebraska and Cincinnati, but Auburn gave up over 3 times as many points to them as OSU did to UC and Nebraska combined.

If they beat Florida, why does that make them #1? This is a team that is very lucky not to be 3-2, with two losses to bad UK and Miami teams. They're far and away the most fraudulent top 10 team in the nation.