• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 3 Discussion Thread

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voting Thread - SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 3 Voting

[/SPOILER=Week 2 Poll, Voting, Discussion]
Week 2 Poll - SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 2 Poll
Week 2 Voting Thread - SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 2 Voting Thread
Week 2 Discussion Thread - SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 2 Discussion Thread
[/SPOILER]

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a couple of weeks before things kick into gear. None of the top teams other than LSU have faced real tests so far. UGA/ND will tell us something.

Ohio State and OU look great, but neither has been tested at all. Fields nor Hurts has faced any adversity. Clemson will skate into the CFP 13-0 with it being likely that the TAMU game will have been their closest one. Bama still needs a lot of work on defense and in the OL, but Tua and the receivers are on another level.

The B1G East is the best division as of today, although Maryland came down to earth in a big way. The B12 may be be strongest overall conference, especially with Kansas finally having a pulse. WSU and Utah are the last hopes for the P12, though the WSU defense and Utah offense appear to lack the punch for anything better than 10-2.

Beyond that, I need to see teams several weeks into the conference grind to get a better feel.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
01. Ohio State Buckeyes (3-0)
02. Clemson Tigers (3-0)
03. Auburn Tigers (3-0)
04. Alabama Crimson Tide (3-0)
05. Iowa Hawkeyes (3-0)
06. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (3-0)
07. S.M.U. Mustangs (3-0)
08. Wisconsin Badgers (2-0)
09. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (2-0)
10. L.S.U. Tigers (3-0)
11. U.C.F. Knights (3-0)
12. Kansas State Wildcats (3-0)
13. Georgia Bulldogs (3-0)
14. Penn State Nittany Lions (3-0)
15. Virginia Cavaliers (3-0)
16. Arizona State Sun Devils (3-0)
17. Utah Utes (3-0)
18. Boise State Broncos (3-0)
19. Memphis Tigers (3-0)
20. Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-0)
21. Oklahoma Sooners (3-0)
22. Washington State Cougars (3-0)
23. California Golden Bears (3-0)
24. Wyoming Cowboys (3-0)
25. Michigan Wolverines (2-0)

Why do you even bother?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you even bother?

The link to the God damn discussion thread is clearly posted in the OP, and you have been around long enough to know better. The voting thread is for voting only, you'd think after being told enough times, we'd run out of retards that violate the one simple rule for the thread.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@thunderc

Did I miss the Payola "Voting List" list again? :D Teams are ranked based on what they have done this year without conference or team bias. For example, I have OU so low, because they have played an FCS team (South Dakota) and have not beaten an FBS team that has beaten another FBS team YET. UCLA is (0-3), Houston is (0-2 vs. FBS teams) and South Dakota is an FCS team - which actually lost to Houston Baptist this week to fall to (0-3)! It's early, it's a fluid situation, and the teams I have ranked deserve to be ranked as much or more than anybody else's rankings. That's why I bother. :)

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The link to the God damn discussion thread is clearly posted in the OP, and you have been around long enough to know better. The voting thread is for voting only, you'd think after being told enough times, we'd run out of retards that violate the one simple rule for the thread.

I like this organization because it keeps the poll thread uncluttered with comments.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@thunderc

Did I miss the Payola "Voting List" list again? :D Teams are ranked based on what they have done this year without conference or team bias. For example, I have OU so low, because they have played an FCS team (South Dakota) and have not beaten an FBS team that has beaten another FBS team YET. UCLA is (0-3), Houston is (0-2 vs. FBS teams) and South Dakota is an FCS team - which actually lost to Houston Baptist this week to fall to (0-3)! It's early, it's a fluid situation, and the teams I have ranked deserve to be ranked as much or more than anybody else's rankings. That's why I bother. :)

There's always one of you guys out there.
It makes it interesting.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fyi: I caught my response mistake in time and corrected it! :)

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@thunderc

It’s still easy to justify many orderings at this point. I have OU much higher, but it’s based on “eye test”. I do believe they will be a very tough out in the B12 and will justify their high ranking. But as of today, having them much lower isn’t a tragedy. It all sorts out after a few more weeks.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always one of you guys out there.
It makes it interesting.
Thanks. :thumb:

It's not like I am voting Iowa State #1 just to be a dick or intentionally not ranking a team to be a dick. I'm trying to fair and honest based on this year and the results so far THIS YEAR. I just approach it differently than others, and I am very fluid from week to week. It amuses me when people get their jimmies in a wad because I don't *vote like everybody else*. If there is a *correct list* that I must try to mimic, I missed it! Furthermore, there would be no need to vote. Sometimes, I wonder if we have people who were raised in the old Soviet Union: *Yes, we have the right to vote, just make sure you vote for who we say!*

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a couple of weeks before things kick into gear. None of the top teams other than LSU have faced real tests so far. UGA/ND will tell us something.

Ohio State and OU look great, but neither has been tested at all. Fields nor Hurts has faced any adversity. Clemson will skate into the CFP 13-0 with it being likely that the TAMU game will have been their closest one. Bama still needs a lot of work on defense and in the OL, but Tua and the receivers are on another level.

The B1G East is the best division as of today, although Maryland came down to earth in a big way. The B12 may be be strongest overall conference, especially with Kansas finally having a pulse. WSU and Utah are the last hopes for the P12, though the WSU defense and Utah offense appear to lack the punch for anything better than 10-2.

Beyond that, I need to see teams several weeks into the conference grind to get a better feel.
We will have a better beat on Fields when they face Michigan State in a few weeks. Their offense is trash but their defense is still really good, so that'll be his first big test (though I thought Cincinnati's defense was going to pose more of a threat and he decimated them, so).

We'll get the same beat on Oklahoma against Texas in a few weeks. They should have absolutely no problem with TT or Kansas, regardless of what they just did to Boston College. It's still a team that lost at home to Coastal Carolina and barely got by FCS Indiana State.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have a better beat on Fields when they face Michigan State in a few weeks. Their offense is trash but their defense is still really good, so that'll be his first big test (though I thought Cincinnati's defense was going to pose more of a threat and he decimated them, so).

We'll get the same beat on Oklahoma against Texas in a few weeks. They should have absolutely no problem with TT or Kansas, regardless of what they just did to Boston College. It's still a team that lost at home to Coastal Carolina and barely got by FCS Indiana State.

I thought Cincy would put up a better effort. Credit to tOSU for not letting it happen. There is something to be said for not letting opponents get close enough to test you. The tOSU D looks a lot better this year. Shutting out the Bearcats was impressive regardless of how good they end up being.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Cincy would put up a better effort. Credit to tOSU for not letting it happen. There is something to be said for not letting opponents get close enough to test you. The tOSU D looks a lot better this year. Shutting out the Bearcats was impressive regardless of how good they end up being.
The defense is night and day. I was saying last year that the performance was squarely on the coaching of Schiano and Bill Davis and I was ripped quite a bit on here, as people were basically saying Urban had just missed on basically every recruit lining up on our defense. Turns out when you put out coaches who know how to properly scheme, things change quite a bit. They look like the Buckeye defenses we've been much more used to over the last 15-20 years than last year's shithow.

It's nice to see them taking care of business, but that game against Wisconsin is going to be a slugfest. We will definitely see what this team is made of.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

definitely have not been tested but if nothing else I like that OSU has gotten off to great starts this year which was not the case last season......even against the middling teams.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is night and day. I was saying last year that the performance was squarely on the coaching of Schiano and Bill Davis and I was ripped quite a bit on here, as people were basically saying Urban had just missed on basically every recruit lining up on our defense. Turns out when you put out coaches who know how to properly scheme, things change quite a bit. They look like the Buckeye defenses we've been much more used to over the last 15-20 years than last year's shithow.

It's nice to see them taking care of business, but that game against Wisconsin is going to be a slugfest. We will definitely see what this team is made of.

Hope we both have zeroes in the loss column when we meet the first time.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
01. Ohio State Buckeyes (3-0)
02. Clemson Tigers (3-0)
03. Auburn Tigers (3-0)
04. Alabama Crimson Tide (3-0)
05. Iowa Hawkeyes (3-0)
06. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (3-0)
07. S.M.U. Mustangs (3-0)
08. Wisconsin Badgers (2-0)
09. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (2-0)
10. L.S.U. Tigers (3-0)
11. U.C.F. Knights (3-0)
12. Kansas State Wildcats (3-0)
13. Georgia Bulldogs (3-0)
14. Penn State Nittany Lions (3-0)
15. Virginia Cavaliers (3-0)
16. Arizona State Sun Devils (3-0)
17. Utah Utes (3-0)
18. Boise State Broncos (3-0)
19. Memphis Tigers (3-0)
20. Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-0)
21. Oklahoma Sooners (3-0)
22. Washington State Cougars (3-0)
23. California Golden Bears (3-0)
24. Wyoming Cowboys (3-0)
25. Michigan Wolverines (2-0)
This

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres always one or two who try to miss things up with their voting. Luckily most of the rest of the voters take this seriously so it really does nothing in the long run.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Clemson
  2. Alabama
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Ohio State
  5. Georgia
  6. LSU
  7. Notre Dame
  8. Michigan
  9. UCF
  10. Auburn
  11. Florida
  12. Washington State
  13. Penn State
  14. Utah
  15. Wisconsin
  16. Boise St
  17. TCU
  18. Texas
  19. Washington
  20. Iowa St
  21. Oregon
  22. Oklahoma State
  23. Virginia
  24. Texas A&M
  25. Army
ISU 20 and no Iowa eh? Seems legit lol

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@thunderc

I actually don't take issue with your poll. It's obvious you put time into it as you have (2-0) teams ahead of (3-0) teams. Some of those doing the bitching about your poll are the same one's constantly saying "Polls are useless the first 4-5 weeks".

Here's the thing about college football.....The regular season is part of the Play-Off. It's a race to 15-0 (14-0 if you're Notre Dame).

As of now. Every P5 team in your poll is still in that race.

At the end of the season the Final AP and Coaches polls will largely reflect.......

One possible undefeated team (National Champion)....Your poll
1 loss teams (first tier)
2 loss teams (2nd tier)
3 loss teams (3rd tier)
4 loss teams (4th tier)
A couple G5 teams sprinkled somewhere in there.

There will obviously be an outlier here or there. i.e. tejas as a 4 loss team in the Final Top 10 last season. 5 loss Northwestern ranked.

Nobody typically remembers anything but who won the NC in a particular season (and maybe who they played). If I were to ask who finished #6 in 2010, someone would have to look it up. Nobody gives a shit about #6.

Last edited: