• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 7 Discussion thread

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Ok man. You're talking out both sides of your mouth. You only watch "relevant" teams which means you don't watch but 7 or 8 teams you deem relevant. Then you claim to use advanced stats to make up the rest yet advanced stats would tell you Iowa is likely to be 11-1 or 12-0 at years end. If a team that, using your own methodology, is likely to be a 1 or 0 loss team at seasons end isn't relevant then I struggle to see what teams would be

I watch more than 7 or 8 teams.

ESPN FPI has Iowa #41, predicts 2 losses. This weekend and Nebraska.

You play no ranked teams the rest of the year after Northwestern, who isn't likely to finish ranked. Iowa is the product of an easy schedule, being able to dodge the strength of Big10.

You're basically Kentucky, who is 4-1 and #55 in the FPI.

The S&P is nicer to Iowa, has you at #25. Football study hall puts you as 1 more loss on the year, because you play nobody.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation, he got caught being incorrect, and is backpedaling.
So now, to cover his ass, he now says that the team isn't "relevant."
Welcome to the wonderful world of my friend 4down. He's been pulling this shit on me for years.
But of course, he yells loud and long if he thinks he's right and his sparring partner is wrong. You will notice that he posts more than almost anyone, which of course makes it even more certain that he'll be wrong as often as he's right (and yes, he is right, occasionally, gotta give credit where it's due)

Bottom line, this is a sports blog in which being convincing, but incorrect is actually an advantage. 4down is the giant among the midgets that post here. :dhd:

Because watching the irrelevant games is how you come up with good information about college football.

That's how I should prioritize my time? Screw the games that actually matter, I need to watch some of that low tier Big10 stuff.

Then I could have been with the cool kids who ranked Northwestern #1 last week? :lol:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the entire reason I did computer rankings in the past was because I can't watch every game, but I can create a philosophy on properly ranking teams and then apply it across every team and every game equally and without bias.

Okay. Youre computer projections are still just as accurate as my basic knowledge. Its really just a personal preference as far as how you want to do it. I'm not going around calling your method stupid, just explaining why I do it differently than your computer.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because watching the irrelevant games is how you come up with good information about college football.

That's how I should prioritize my time? Screw the games that actually matter, I need to watch some of that low tier Big10 stuff.

Then I could have been with the cool kids who ranked Northwestern #1 last week? :lol:
NW had the best resume going in to last week but you wouldn't know because you never watched them play. Relevance is determined by wins and losses but you don't care about them either. Just call it what it is. You watch Bama and other SEC teams and may occasionally catch another game. You know that's not a good base for voting so you came up with this advanced stats crap yo justify your projection model but then you don't actually use it on the teams you don't watch. It's biased, laughable and sad. IF you did use it you wouldn't be calling a 6-0 team that is HIGHLY likely to go 11-1 or 12-0 irrelevant. Just stick to Bama talk and leave CFB to those who actually enjoy watching all of it

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. Youre computer projections are still just as accurate as my basic knowledge. Its really just a personal preference as far as how you want to do it. I'm not going around calling your method stupid, just explaining why I do it differently than your computer.
He doesn't use computer projections. That's made up

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I don't do computer anymore, if I did I would share it. I have to rely on others.

FEI comes out next week.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Just looked up Iowa's remaining schedule. That's about as bad as a P5 schedule that I've ever seen. Hell Memphis has a harder remaining schedule.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NW had the best resume going in to last week but you wouldn't know because you never watched them play. Relevance is determined by wins and losses but you don't care about them either. Just call it what it is. You watch Bama and other SEC teams and may occasionally catch another game. You know that's not a good base for voting so you came up with this advanced stats crap yo justify your projection model but then you don't actually use it on the teams you don't watch. It's biased, laughable and sad. IF you did use it you wouldn't be calling a 6-0 team that is HIGHLY likely to go 11-1 or 12-0 irrelevant. Just stick to Bama talk and leave CFB to those who actually enjoy watching all of it

NW beat Stanford and Duke and by the end of the year that's not going to mean a damn thing and won't be special even in the Big10, much less college football.

But it sure is funny watching you pretend like you are somehow superior because I pay more attention to the teams that matter. As if you are watching more games and/or more relevant games.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NW beat Stanford and Duke and by the end of the year that's not going to mean a damn thing and won't be special even in the Big10, much less college football.

But it sure is funny watching you pretend like you are somehow superior because I pay more attention to the teams that matter. As if you are watching more games and/or more relevant games.
Don't know if I watch more games or not. I certainly watch a wider array of games and am now here near as biased but you may watch as many. No way to know

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As my favorite Northwestern, Duke, Vandy, and Stanford cheer goes:
"That's alright, that's OK,
All you Bama guys will work for us someday."

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Just looked up Iowa's remaining schedule. That's about as bad as a P5 schedule that I've ever seen. Hell Memphis has a harder remaining schedule.
Yep its pretty bad. Doesn't matter though. If Iowa is 12-0 they'll have a 1 game season to make the playoff and if Iowa loses a regular season game they'll have no chance to make the playoff but that'd be the case if they played Bama, USC, ND and Oklahoma ooc. There are only about 10-15 teams that will EVER be able to make the CFP with a loss and we all know who they are

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmm....SEC has 5 teams. B1G has 5 teams.

SEC=overrated

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep its pretty bad. Doesn't matter though. If Iowa is 12-0 they'll have a 1 game season to make the playoff and if Iowa loses a regular season game they'll have no chance to make the playoff but that'd be the case if they played Bama, USC, ND and Oklahoma ooc. There are only about 10-15 teams that will EVER be able to make the CFP with a loss and we all know who they are

Disagree. Playing North Texas, an FCS team, Iowa State and a middle tier ACC school hurts Iowa's SOS. I get that Iowa State is generally bad every year, and its a rivalry game so Iowa doesn't really have a choice to play that. But Iowa can certainly step up the rest of their OOC schedule to their benefit. If Iowa has good SOS numbers with everything else equal they'd be in play for a playoff spot for sure.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Playing North Texas, an FCS team, Iowa State and a middle tier ACC school hurts Iowa's SOS. I get that Iowa State is generally bad every year, and its a rivalry game so Iowa doesn't really have a choice to play that. But Iowa can certainly step up the rest of their OOC schedule to their benefit. If Iowa has good SOS numbers with everything else equal they'd be in play for a playoff spot for sure.
If Iowa goes unbeaten they'll be in the playoff, if they don't they wont. A better ooc would be great for fans but any loss eliminates a team like Iowa. Very few teams can afford a loss and they are the traditional big names. That's why OSU jumps TCU and Baylor.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about Iowa scheduling bad OOC this year. Not too many teams are playing more than one power 5 opponent OOC even from the conferences with only 8 conference games. Yes, Iowa St isn't very good, but they are still more talented than MAC teams and Sun Belt teams. You show up without preparing properly and they will sneak up on you and give you a game. Pittsburgh is a middle tier ACC team that is capable of the upset much like a Minnesota from the Big 10. That's not terrible for OOC. As good as most contending teams are playing. The thing that will hurt Iowa will probably be style points. Ferentz plays a grind it out style that doesn't lead to many blowouts. Always has. Kind of like Dantanio at Michigan State. But Michigan State has won some huge games the last few years and earned everyone's respect.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Iowa goes unbeaten they'll be in the playoff, if they don't they wont. A better ooc would be great for fans but any loss eliminates a team like Iowa. Very few teams can afford a loss and they are the traditional big names. That's why OSU jumps TCU and Baylor.

Ohio State jumped TCU/Baylor because they played a significantly better schedule. Not because of some brand bias. That and the last thing in the committees mind was a 59-0 win over Wisconsin who was a top 15 team.

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Playing 2 power 5 teams is better then most schools. Especially SEC teams which like to have 1 power 5 team team and 3 cupcakes.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Iowa scheduling bad OOC this year. Not too many teams are playing more than one power 5 opponent OOC even from the conferences with only 8 conference games. Yes, Iowa St isn't very good, but they are still more talented than MAC teams and Sun Belt teams. You show up without preparing properly and they will sneak up on you and give you a game. Pittsburgh is a middle tier ACC team that is capable of the upset much like a Minnesota from the Big 10. That's not terrible for OOC. As good as most contending teams are playing. The thing that will hurt Iowa will probably be style points. Ferentz plays a grind it out style that doesn't lead to many blowouts. Always has. Kind of like Dantanio at Michigan State. But Michigan State has won some huge games the last few years and earned everyone's respect.

Iowa State may be slightly more talented than MAC schools. Their average recruiting rank the last 4 season was in the upper 60's. And they've only had 8 guys drafted in the last decade. And they are 0-1 this year agasint the MAC. IMO there are multiple MAC teams better than them. Sun Belt teams are generally awful for the most part. So I cant disagree with you there.

Iowa has only scheduled one other P5 team the last 5 years and that was Pittsburgh for three of those seasons. Given the division they now play in, their schedule is only slightly better than a mid major schedule. And in some instances there are mid majors who have played tougher schedules. Like I said I get why they play Iowa State every year, but don't try and spin it just because they are a P5 school that it's somehow a good opponent.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing 2 power 5 teams is better then most schools. Especially SEC teams which like to have 1 power 5 team team and 3 cupcakes.

Not all P5 schools are created equal. Especially when there are probably 15-20 mid majors better than Iowa State. Just off the top of my head South Carolina, Florida and Tennessee will all have played more difficult OOC schedules.